It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kirkwood wrote:
I wonder how they are going to tie up all the loose ends all in an hour. I could see this season ending in an unsatisfactory way. Rust did mention wanting to tie up his circle. They've hardly exposed the whole web of conspiracy. Rust just has theories and ideas. How much can that sheriff possibly know?

I cannot wait for next week. Sunday will be bittersweet.

Agree with all of this. I cant imagine how they will possibly tie up the storyline involving all those signs of abuse from Marty's daughter. And that isn't something you can write off as a red herring, it's several major hints at it and it seems like a vital part of this entire season. I don't think everything is going to be tied up in a nice, neat, little bow Breaking Bad-style. Still cant wait for it and the season has been strong enough so far that it would have to be an especially terrible ending for it to actually ruin what has been an incredible season of tv so far.

Very good episode overall. Moved more slowly than I would have liked at times but as always there was some awesome dialogue.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:28 am 

Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
That young chick that
Harrelson has on the side was incredible IMO.

Absolutely. Good-god those were nice.

Seriously one of the more impressive sets Ive ever seen. She was playing possum with the baggy sweatshirt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 am 

NearWessSideHussra wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Awesome show. Sucks having to wait two weeks. I really have no clue how this is getting resolved and why the case is being brought back up in 2012.

Sounds like a good binge-watch-and-catch-up show once it's 6 episodes in.

Exactly what Ive done.

Im thru 3 and a half episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Pretty helpful to see it sorted out:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
My prediction- Marty is going to die. The way Maggie went into the bar and asked if Marty was in danger. I have to think it was setting it up for his death.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 am 

denisdman wrote:
My prediction- Marty is going to die. The way Maggie went into the bar and asked if Marty was in danger. I have to think it was setting it up for his death.

I think there is a great chance both of them die. I think Rust might kill himself after everything gets resolved.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:23 am 

FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I think there is a great chance both of them die. I think Rust might kill himself after everything gets resolved.

Rust wants to die for sure, and he was quite disappointed when that lady spoke of life after death. The guy really wants thing to end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 am 

denisdman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Rust wants to die for sure, and he was quite disappointed when that lady spoke of life after death. The guy really wants thing to end.

I do enjoy the somewhat meta comments about Marty saying goodbye and Rust wanting to die as the season draws to a close and their characters only having one hour of "life" left, regardless of what plays out on the screen.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I wonder how they are going to tie up all the loose ends all in an hour. I could see this season ending in an unsatisfactory way. Rust did mention wanting to tie up his circle. They've hardly exposed the whole web of conspiracy. Rust just has theories and ideas. How much can that sheriff possibly know?

I cannot wait for next week. Sunday will be bittersweet.

Agree with all of this. I cant imagine how they will possibly tie up the storyline involving all those signs of abuse from Marty's daughter. And that isn't something you can write off as a red herring, it's several major hints at it and it seems like a vital part of this entire season. I don't think everything is going to be tied up in a nice, neat, little bow Breaking Bad-style. Still cant wait for it and the season has been strong enough so far that it would have to be an especially terrible ending for it to actually ruin what has been an incredible season of tv so far.

Very good episode overall. Moved more slowly than I would have liked at times but as always there was some awesome dialogue.

I haven't been impressed with the last two episodes. They have kind of devolved into what Pizzolato called police show conventions.

You could write off the daughter stuff if it hadn't been so specific with the dolls and the circle picture. I have absolutely no idea how they can tie that up next week. I don't know if it is a two hour ending, but even with that time, it would be difficult to address the daughter.

The makeup people on this show have done a fantastic job of subtley showing the aging of the characters. In one week, Maggie went from horny MILF showing her rear to aging dowager in a pants suit with a kind of chubby behind. Rust and Marty as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:55 am 

I just hate that they are giving some flunkie significant time as a ring leader in what has to be a elaborate collaboration. I just see this ending with it getting pinned on the custodian, just like it did with Ledoux years ago, and the whole thing continues.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
I just hate that they are giving some flunkie significant time as a ring leader in what has to be a elaborate collaboration. I just see this ending with it getting pinned on the custodian, just like it did with Ledoux years ago, and the whole thing continues.

Who? We really haven't seen any of the alleged collaborators get decent screen time. I don't mind the crimes being pinned on the Childress landscaper in the realm of the show as long as viewers get the who/what/why/how of the conspiracy/cult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I guess the dude tied to the bed about to be buttfucked and/or gutted by Errol looks more like Marty than Russ - he had a lot of flab on the abdominal region, but then again it also looked like there was shaggy hair or a beard going on.

Do you remember the first scene in episode one, where the two guys are walking away from that tree in the dark? It looked like Marty was carrying Rust. Maybe, it's Marty rescuing Rust from something unseemly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The one thing about this show that I don't understand is the motive. Has anyone on the show ever explained/guessed as to why the Tuttles or whoever are killing all these women and children in the ceremonial ways???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
My guess is it has to do with the Tuttle's cult/family. Easy guess would be just a demented fixation on sex/murder and it's relation to god, but I've seen someone also predict it has something to do with redeeming the Tuttle family name. I don't personally understand how that would reconcile, but I guess maybe Errol could be leading that... but he seems like too much a of a goober to be leading something so complex.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:50 pm 

shakes wrote:
The one thing about this show that I don't understand is the motive. Has anyone on the show ever explained/guessed as to why the Tuttles or whoever are killing all these women and children in the ceremonial ways???

I think it's just a form of worship

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:51 pm 

Whenever Cohle really needs to get information out of someone, he lays hands on them and they blab away almost in a euphoric state. I pointed that out with the Marshland Madea case a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I really wish they would have a 20 minute wrap up show with the creator so he could explain some of the
symbolism, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm 

I find it odd that you guys have spent 15 pages disecting this show yet none of you seem interested in motive. It seems like there are several people involved in the murders, maybe even more than 10, and they are hinting at who knows how many victims, yet no one seems curious as to what possible motive can bring that many people together to commit that many murders?

It would be one thing if we were dealing with a lone serial killer, but we're talking about lots of people. What could possibly inspire that many people to brutally and ceremonially kill that many women and children? Doesn't make sense to me.

I hope everyone here is preparing themselves for the possibility of a huge letdown next Sunday. Seems like this show needs a lot more than one more episode to sort everything out satisfactorily.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
shakes wrote:
I find it odd that you guys have spent 15 pages disecting this show yet none of you seem interested in motive. It seems like there are several people involved in the murders, maybe even more than 10, and they are hinting at who knows how many victims, yet no one seems curious as to what possible motive can bring that many people together to commit that many murders?

It would be one thing if we were dealing with a lone serial killer, but we're talking about lots of people. What could possibly inspire that many people to brutally and ceremonially kill that many women and children? Doesn't make sense to me.

I hope everyone here is preparing themselves for the possibility of a huge letdown next Sunday. Seems like this show needs a lot more than one more episode to sort everything out satisfactorily.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they can resolve the series. They have an awful lot of ground to cover though. I really
think they could have gotten more done the past few episodes. I see the motive as being a cult religion. A lot of wars
and attrocities have happened over the centuries in the name of religion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:15 pm 

shakes wrote:

The motive is obvious to the point of not having to be discussed, unless the writer throws a curve ball. The tape backs it up. It's ritual murder with some pedophilia thrown in unless you find a different meaning from guys in animal masks dressing children in costumes and assaulting them in a regular and very systemic manner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Last night's episode got dangerously close to the first half-hour of a Law & Order episode but got it back toward the end with what the show is strong at which is getting Rust and Cohle talking to each other and Rust telling Maggie to get lost because she's classing the place up too much.

I think they are getting unnecessarily complex with the actual whodunit of the series, unless their ultimate point is that the entire state of Louisiana is related to each other.

The show is about the characters and it's starting to get lost in web of crime-solving a confusing set of crimes. I suppose they want to make it complex in order to demonstrate how difficult it is to get to the bottom of it and why it took Cohle 17 years to do so. But, I don't know if proving that fact at the cost of character study is worth the screen time.

I don't have high hopes for next week. I fear it will be even more of some of the lesser points of last night's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

The motive is obvious to the point of not having to be discussed, unless the writer throws a curve ball. The tape backs it up. It's ritual murder with some pedophilia thrown in unless you find a different meaning from guys in animal masks dressing children in costumes and assaulting them in a regular and very systemic manner.

So its obvious to you that there are several, maybe more than 10, people, many of them wealthy and powerful, who are involved in pedophilia and child murders? That seems perfectly plausible to you?

This show requires more suspension of disbelief than the Walking Dead, and that's a zombie show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
shakes wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
shakes wrote:

So its obvious to you that there are several, maybe more than 10, people, many of them wealthy and powerful, who are involved in pedophilia and child murders? That seems perfectly plausible to you?

This show requires more suspension of disbelief than the Walking Dead, and that's a zombie show.

Maybe they're trying to cover up an international art theft ring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Last night's episode got dangerously close to the first half-hour of a Law & Order episode but got it back toward the end with what the show is strong at which is getting Rust and Cohle talking to each other and Rust telling Maggie to get lost because she's classing the place up too much.

I think they are getting unnecessarily complex with the actual whodunit of the series, unless their ultimate point is that the entire state of Louisiana is related to each other.

The show is about the characters and it's starting to get lost in web of crime-solving a confusing set of crimes. I suppose they want to make it complex in order to demonstrate how difficult it is to get to the bottom of it and why it took Cohle 17 years to do so. But, I don't know if proving that fact at the cost of character study is worth the screen time.

I don't have high hopes for next week. I fear it will be even more of some of the lesser points of last night's.

I have to disagree and I think last night's episode cements the fact that the show is about the characters, not the story. For the most part we've known "whodunit" (and for most of us, why) for a while now. That's why I won't really care if they don't tie up all the lose ends next week. Last night was about Marty and Rust and the bond they share that has kept them connected to each other the past 10 years. Think of how opposite they were in episode 1 and even through episode 4.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I agree, Franky T - that's why I think it's unnecessary for the crime aspect of the plot to be so convoluted. It takes the focus away from the better moments that you describe.

My mind is trying to organize the relationship of the maid to the guy's father who had another kid out of wedlock and it was his son that is related back to the sheriff father and the cop with the same name....all the while I could just be soaking in some great performances and dialogue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 pm 

Frankie nailed it. The crime plot is secondary (by a mile) to the interpersonal relationships and character development/aging throughout the series. The dialogue is Tarantino worthy...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 pm 

Franky T wrote:

Maybe they're trying to cover up an international art theft ring.

I think that's a red herring. My guess is that in the last scene we'll find out that this whole thing stems from the fallout of Julia Robert's brief about pelicans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I agree, Franky T - that's why I think it's unnecessary for the crime aspect of the plot to be so convoluted. It takes the focus away from the better moments that you describe.

My mind is trying to organize the relationship of the maid to the guy's father who had another kid out of wedlock and it was his son that is related back to the sheriff father and the cop with the same name....all the while I could just be soaking in some great performances and dialogue.

Yeah, that family tree posted earlier would have helped last night.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 pm 

I love the dark humor in this show:

Cohle: "Here I am, you know, my whole life is one expanding circular fuck up, and I think it's about to close out with me getting clipped in a home invasion. I mean, what I'm saying is, I was aware that I might have lost my mind."

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:15 am 

the crime is pretty much already solved

The only thing left is the resolution

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next