It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
I can't wait to re-watch 8 straight hours of True Detective after Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:02 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I've come to believe that the daughter's story is over. The dolls were just in Marty's mind as that reddit post showed they weren't really staged that way in the earlier shot.

I hope I'm wrong because that would be weak.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24#t=147

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Damn: a lot of shit still pointing to Marty, too!

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/c ... y_100_the/

Did you guys know that Tuttle and Mary both supposedly wear red jeweled rings on their right hand that they supposedly turn before shaking hands in ep 1?

Funny you bring that up. Were these marks made by a ring? Or is it just signs of Meth abuse?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 pm 

This thread is almost as good as the show

Maybe I missed it and its a long shot but what if this is all just a story Hart is writing in the True Crime genre?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Maybe I missed it and its a long shot but what if this is all just a story Hart is writing in the True Crime genre?

That's one ending I would be disappointed in. My feeling is Rust has been undercover this whole time. In the first episode someone in the office remarks that he may be IA and Cole himself states there's no expiration date to his situation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think that's what Pizzolatto was referring to when he said he wasn't tricking the audience. Not that there wouldn't be some twists, but rather that he hasn't been flat out lying to you about what's going on in the first 7 episodes. It sounds like The Usual Suspects pissed him off. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Could the old broad in the preview be Marty's mother-in-law?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm more curious as to why he has a picture of McConaughey circa Contact tattooed on him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm more curious as to why he has a picture of McConaughey circa Contact tattooed on him.

That should be explained if its not that's a little too much of a red herring

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/02/guide-reggie-ledouxs-tattoos-true-detective/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 pm 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/05/craziest-theories-of-how-true-detective-will-end-killer-marty-the-five-horsemen-and-more.html
Good stuff here and some funny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Lots of wild theories on things like. Most look to be Red Herrings. People have spent a ton of time on the symbolism of Marty's daughters and his ex-father in law.

I think it's less complicated than all that because the writer said he was surprised by all the wild theories on the Internet. I am just enjoying the ride along the way. I am not worried about some grand ending as this can never live up to all the hype. I just don't see a Seven type surprise. I think a few more deaths are the most likely "surprises".

I also read some thing suggesting Maggie has an ominous role, what with her yellow flowers and father and such.

Also, maybe she deliberately sent that whore in to corrupt Marty so she could create a rift and break up their case - remember she ordered the same drink?

Funny timing, as it was right when Rust was starting to re-open the investigation. That would fit the definition as being "right under the nose", ay?

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/05/maggie_ ... ective.php

http://www.ibtimes.com/true-detective-s ... e-involved

He met her by chance at a phone store. That seems like a stretch when Hart would pretty much bang anything under the age of 30 that showed interest in him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I've come to believe that the daughter's story is over. The dolls were just in Marty's mind as that reddit post showed they weren't really staged that way in the earlier shot.

really, really weak

You cannot point so often to something in a story and then let it go, unexplained. Yet, if he explains it thoroughly, he will have burned up a good portion of the 55 minutes. She has no previous physical connection to any of this and yet seems to have a collective consciousness with the children who do. The southern gothic would make you think there is some metaphysical connection but the writer isn't going to do that.

I'm still unsatisfied with the former maid giving a strong indication that she was part of the cult but being left alone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't know if someone posted it here but there is a similar (not identical but similar) crime that has come to a head in southern Louisiana right now.

I don't think the writer is basing it on this crime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Lots of wild theories on things like. Most look to be Red Herrings. People have spent a ton of time on the symbolism of Marty's daughters and his ex-father in law.

I think it's less complicated than all that because the writer said he was surprised by all the wild theories on the Internet. I am just enjoying the ride along the way. I am not worried about some grand ending as this can never live up to all the hype. I just don't see a Seven type surprise. I think a few more deaths are the most likely "surprises".

I also read some thing suggesting Maggie has an ominous role, what with her yellow flowers and father and such.

Also, maybe she deliberately sent that whore in to corrupt Marty so she could create a rift and break up their case - remember she ordered the same drink?

Funny timing, as it was right when Rust was starting to re-open the investigation. That would fit the definition as being "right under the nose", ay?

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/05/maggie_ ... ective.php

http://www.ibtimes.com/true-detective-s ... e-involved

He met her by chance at a phone store. That seems like a stretch when Hart would pretty much bang anything under the age of 30 that showed interest in him.

I understand that, but, to fit the puzzle piece together, Maggie could have asked him to pick up a phone for her.

That's a lot of machinations when everyone involved with him pretty much knows all she would have to do is bump into him on the street.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:45 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

really, really weak

You cannot point so often to something in a story and then let it go, unexplained. Yet, if he explains it thoroughly, he will have burned up a good portion of the 55 minutes.

They'll probably reference it but not explain it and let the viewer put some pieces together

Where is the reddit post with the dolls not positioned that way?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:48 am 

good dolphin wrote:
That's a lot of machinations when everyone involved with him pretty much knows all she would have to do is bump into him on the street.

And the scene of her finding the pics on his phone wouldnt make sense

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:50 am 

I haven't seen anyone mention it but there is a king of the mardi gras festival and one of the colors of mardi gras is yellow.

I don't think there is a Yellow King in the sense of a single person. I think it's just the mythical deity of this cult. There will be no Yellow King. Similarly, I don't think there is a Carcosa other than where they have their alter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Could the old broad in the preview be Marty's mother-in-law?

Is ANYBODY reading the links that I am providing?

Also, the chest tattoo is discussed in detail much earlier in this thread.

C'mon, keep up, people!

I am staying away from links and possible spoilers. In fact I am going to avoid this thread until Monday
morning. At this point I am just going to take the episode at face value and see how it shakes out. Really
don't want my head clogged up with all of these JFKesque theories.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Why wouldn't it?

If Maggie was behind the Beth thing, why would she need to check Hart's phone for that pic and why would see react, with no one else around, so poorly?

Could say she's acting, but no reason when Woody is in the shower and cant even see her

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Why wouldn't it? as I stated above, the emphasis on the tampons (shown at least twice) would tend to show that he was sent out there by Maggie.

It is pretty easy from there:

Maggie speaks to Beth before, tells her what to do.

Marty goes in shop, as instructed by Maggie to look at phones.

Beth sees her cue and chats him up.

Now here is the stretch - there is a bar/tavern in vicinity, and Marty stops in, where Beth saddles up next to him and orders MAGGIE'S DIRTY MARTINI - but maybe Maggie knows that Marty is such a drunk he would not be able to pass up a watering hole. Like I said, THAT is the only stretch I see, because after that, Beth follows him outside and admits that she remembers him.

The phone pics could have been Maggie setting that up very easily. She has Beth send them so that she can find them and go get summa that Krayzy RustMeat - Boom.

She saw them when he was in the shower and didn't even mention it for some time later. He also had been sober for several years. The mundanity of tampon shopping sent him back to drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
If Maggie was behind the Beth thing, why would she need to check Hart's phone for that pic and why would see react, with no one else around, so poorly?

Could say she's acting, but no reason when Woody is in the shower and cant even see her

Refresh me: what was her exact reaction right after she saw it?

Very unhappy. Slammed down the phone and then didnt return his I love you in the next scene. Said "thank you"

But she'd have no need to even look at the phone if she was the mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Refresh me: what was her exact reaction right after she saw it?

Very unhappy. Slammed down the phone and then didnt return his I love you in the next scene. Said "thank you"

But she'd have no need to even look at the phone if she was the mastermind

"Thank you", as in "Thank you for fulfilling my plan!" - maybe?

Anyhow, she would indeed have to look at the phone to confirm that her ammo for her own betrayal was indeed delivered - i.e. if Marty was smart and he deleted the pics, she would have no justification. Also, maybe Beth was instructed to send the pics at that specific time (while Marty was in shower) to escape deletion (not sure about this one - does it show timestamps or give any time indication on the texts?).

Timestamp was like 1 or 2 am

She went to the phone after seeing that Hart was washing his clothes (as she went to do the laundry as she usually does and this tipped her off)

I guess she could be checking to make sure the plan went thru, but she looked legitimately upset

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That is an easy explanation. It looks similar to every angelic depiction I have ever seen. Why fixate on the tattoo. Ledoux straight out tells Cohle he has seen him before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That is an easy explanation. It looks similar to every angelic depiction I have ever seen. Why fixate on the tattoo. Ledoux straight out tells Cohle he has seen him before.

The seen you before has to be referring to reincarnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I can't get over all the looks that Charlie Lange and Marty give each other in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla-8D_U_Po

even better, the look Ledoux gives Cohle the first time he sees him through the opened window after Marty first announces their presence

I haven't rewatched any episode and didn't notice this. He definitely has seen Cohle before but I don't think it is as any sort of accomplice role or one that Cohle is aware of. It obviously has an impact on Cohle as his meeting with Ledoux is the genesis of his philosophy that everything in life is recurring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
I can't get over all the looks that Charlie Lange and Marty give each other in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vla-8D_U_Po

even better, the look Ledoux gives Cohle the first time he sees him through the opened window after Marty first announces their presence

I haven't rewatched any episode and didn't notice this. He definitely has seen Cohle before but I don't think it is as any sort of accomplice role or one that Cohle is aware of. It obviously has an impact on Cohle as his meeting with Ledoux is the genesis of his philosophy that everything in life is recurring.

LeDoux looked like he might have been a big fan of Magic Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am 

Im gonna have to rewatch all 7. Not sure I can do it by sunday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im gonna have to rewatch all 7. Not sure I can do it by sunday

I'm sure they will be played marathon style within the next month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next