It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:53 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Unbelievable that I am staying at the Fairmont in Scottsdale, and this place does not have HBO. Luckily, I got to queue this up on HBO Go.

In any case, I am surprised by the negative comments. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The dialogue and acting was outstanding. There were visuals (certain scenes) that are etched deeply in my memory. Now I never watched CSI and rarely get into any series as I am a hardcore sports fan. If not for Mac talking about the show, I would never have tuned in.

Quite honestly, I loved every episode. The majority of people I talk to have not seen it because they lack HBO. I suspect this show will grow in popularity and get more acclaim as others start to watch it. I have never been so engrossed in a program. It was fun, beginning to end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The way the show ended rendered all kinds of things to be just weirdness for the sake of weirdness. All the references to Carcosa and the Yellow King just turned out to be a writer showing off. In the end it was all totally unrelated to the plot. I just can't respect that. Because I don't feel like the writer respected his audience. It reminds of me of bernstein talking about Mike and Will, A-Gaps, and Three techniques.

I get the parallel he was trying to draw between the fictional play and the VHS tape in the show. All of that shit was fascinating on the build up, but in the end it comes off as something written by a student who is full of himself. Things that were interesting suddenly just became meaningless. The mural at the nuthouse and a paining in Hart's house are the same. Isn't that cute? and won't it be funny if we put a tattoo of McConaughey's face on one of the bad guys?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:34 am 

looks like you were all askin the wrong fuckin' questions.

it reminded me a bit of "injustice". i would've loved to see how everybody would've reacted to that show and devised all their conspiracy theories just for them to be let down by the fact that it didn't fit their narrative (although that one did have a funky twist at the end).

this guy is a crime novelist. this unfolded like a crime novel, as i had pointed out before. like i said...you guys were reading into things that weren't there. that's not really the writer's fault.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
looks like you were all askin the wrong fuckin' questions.

it reminded me a bit of "injustice". i would've loved to see how everybody would've reacted to that show and devised all their conspiracy theories just for them to be let down by the fact that it didn't fit their narrative (although that one did have a funky twist at the end).

this guy is a crime novelist. this unfolded like a crime novel, as i had pointed out before. like i said...you guys were reading into things that weren't there. that's not really the writer's fault.

No, the things were there. The writer put them there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:46 am 

they didn't have to do with the plot, they had to do with building characteristics of the character and the town. this was basically "seven" drawn out into 8 episodes, with closer attention paid to the main characters. now i wonder why i could figure that out...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 am 

What was the point of the scene with the grandpa? Why show the little girls and have the one say No to asking Grandpa's help?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:58 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
rogers park bryan wrote:
What was the point of the scene with the grandpa? Why show the little girls and have the one say No to asking Grandpa's help?

What was the point of having Marty wake up and put his tie on in the car? I meam, that's a pretty significant sign.

What were these writers thinking?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
they didn't have to do with the plot, they had to do with building characteristics of the character and the town. this was basically "seven" drawn out into 8 episodes, with closer attention paid to the main characters. now i wonder why i could figure that out...

7even had a whacked out criminal mastermind. This show had a janitor. If the goal was to illustrate societal rot and the banality of evil, I would say that he only partially fulfilled that goal.

I wasn't looking for any particular narrative at all. I was just along for the ride, as I imagine most viewers were. As you note, the show set a high bar with its acting, dialogue, and character development. I just don't think the ending lived up to the build up. To me it felt like there was a denouement without any climax.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

What was the point of having Marty wake up and put his tie on in the car? I meam, that's a pretty significant sign.

Come pn man.

They went out of their way to keep showing the girls in the boat. Just trying to tease suspense I suppose?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Come pn man.

They went out of their way to keep showing the girls in the boat. Just trying to tease suspense I suppose?

So now you're attaching some grand meaning to some girls saying "no" to their grandfather when he asks to help them? This is the reason why we can't have nice things.

You pn man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I enjoyed it. The show got built up in such a way it could never deliver. An 8 episode season created a 25 page thread. That's pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I wasn't looking for any particular narrative at all. I was just along for the ride, as I imagine most viewers were. As you note, the show set a high bar with its acting, dialogue, and character development. I just don't think the ending lived up to the build up. To me it felt like there was a denouement without any climax.

it may have worked more succinctly as a 2 hour movie but i enjoyed the characters enough to like it as it is. there were some cliche things and cheap outs...but you can't really escape cliches with a cop drama.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
I enjoyed it. The show got built up in such a way it could never deliver. An 8 episode season created a 25 page thread. That's pretty impressive.

After all, it was just a sequel to "The Other Guys," right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:08 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Come pn man.

So now you're attaching some grand meaning to some girls saying "no" to their grandfather when he asks to help them? This is the reason why we can't have nice things.

You pn man

No, Im not attaching meaning. I thought it may have signified something. Its clear now it was a completely meaningless scene. Is that a good thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Again, I have a hunch the show creators leaked that spoiler in a purposeful attempt to quell as much disappointment as possible via cookie-throwing to the uber-nerds.

I think they knew that they fucked up and left a shitload in the bag - they could have never guessed that this show would become such an intellectual's phenomenon. I just hope they don't go wacky overcompensating in next year's rumored "Hillary Clinton & Rosie O'Donnell, P.I." LizzieMcLezzbo gumshoefest.

I don't need every loose end tied up. It doesn't bother me that the Russian may have escaped back to Siberia or that his body may be rotting in the Pine Barrens. I don't need to know. But True Detective went out of its way to give you lots of weirdness and at its core it wasn't weird at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

it may have worked more succinctly as a 2 hour movie but i enjoyed the characters enough to like it as it is. there were some cliche things and cheap outs...but you can't really escape cliches with a cop drama.

I guess that's it for me. I didn't think it was a cop drama. For six episodes it didn't play like a cop drama. Then suddenly that's what it was. And in my view, it wasn't a particularly good one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 am 

Capt Smarty Pants wrote:
No, Im not attaching meaning. I thought it may have signified something. Its clear now it was a completely meaningless scene. Is that a good thing?

The scene was based around dialogue between Marty and his father in law and Maggie with her mother.

Does every second of film need have some grand meaning?

The show is what you want it to be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:19 am 
Site Admin

SomeGuy wrote:
The scene was based around dialogue between Marty and his father in law and Maggie with her mother.

To what end though? To jizz in the viewer's face by suggesting that Audrey had been molested or was in some way related to the crimes with no intention of ever paying it off?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Capt Smarty Pants wrote:

Does every second of film need have some grand meaning?

The show is what you want it to be.

Rush Hour 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Die Hard 6

"Watch me head butt this asshole. Yippe ki-yay, motherfucker!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 am 

:lol:

It was fine. Great show overall.

That long scene in the caves was pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

To what end though? To jizz in the viewer's face by suggesting that Audrey had been molested or was in some way related to the crimes with no intention of ever paying it off?

That's you attaching meaning to it. A girl saying no to her grand father when he offers help is now dialogue written to tease child molestation?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
If you don't think they were teasing molestation in the Hart household, you're lying to yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:

That grandpa scene did show Marty's change as a person. He dismissed the grandpa when he began complaining about today's youth but the Marty became the same person.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That grandpa scene did show Marty's change as a person. He dismissed the grandpa when he began complaining about today's youth but the Marty became the same person.

Yeah, that was a weird scene. I was kinda expecting something bad to happen to the girls there in the boat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
It was supposed to be VERY.IMPORTANT.TELEVISION.

Regarding the investigation, the whodunit, this show could not possibly have been more direct. Tuttles, spaghetti face/lawnmower man, dishonest cops, Reginald LeDoux. They did not once steer the audience away from anything, and more often than not named those responsible far earlier in the narrative than another show would. The side roads were fun for people who wanted to pore over the show as much as possible, but I hope those people didn't have the real story lost on them while they were trying to rationalize crazy theories.

And in the end, Marty says "Last thing I remember was saying my friend's name", and then we get a scene where they have a moment where the nihilist doubts his nihilism. So much more satisfying than if Maggie's dad was the Yellow King or whatever. We've known for a couple weeks who the killer is. Act 3 was just the friendship. The story was Rust and Marty and if you chased too hard after the Yellow King, Carcosa, etc. too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:
Act 3 was just the friendship.

Exactly. Riggs and Murtaugh coming to realize they would die for each other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Pizzolatto should have had Rust hand Marty the hollow point bullet he was saving to commit suicide.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am 

Franky T wrote:
It was supposed to be VERY.IMPORTANT.TELEVISION.

Regarding the investigation, the whodunit, this show could not possibly have been more direct. Tuttles, spaghetti face/lawnmower man, dishonest cops, Reginald LeDoux. They did not once steer the audience away from anything, and more often than not named those responsible far earlier in the narrative than another show would. The side roads were fun for people who wanted to pore over the show as much as possible, but I hope those people didn't have the real story lost on them while they were trying to rationalize crazy theories.

And in the end, Marty says "Last thing I remember was saying my friend's name", and then we get a scene where they have a moment where the nihilist doubts his nihilism. So much more satisfying than if Maggie's dad was the Yellow King or whatever. We've known for a couple weeks who the killer is. Act 3 was just the friendship. The story was Rust and Marty and if you chased too hard after the Yellow King, Carcosa, etc. too bad.

Well said.

The actual writer of the show said as much. People assigning meaning to things that aren't really there and then those same people get upset when there doesn't end up being that meaning that wasn't there to begin with. What are you paying more attention too, the show or the internet theories on reddit?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am 

The Friendship angle wasnt that interesting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 26  Next