It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NU vs. Stanford
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
* Stanford rated 21 in the nation.

* NU has a fine RB in Jeremy Jackson (rushed for 1100 yds last season)

* NU starting a freshman QB

* Will NU have a defense this season?

My prediction:

Stanford 33

Nu 27

Post subject: Re: NU vs. Stanford
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Go Cats.

Not a huge college football fan but NU is the team I follow.

I really hope they have a good year. Fitzgerald needs needs it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I saw several Stanford shirts and baseball caps while walking down Adams this morning, looks like the alumni may have traveled well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:37 am 

I just realized this is Pat Fitzgerald's 10th season as head coach.

60 wins, 53 losses

5 bowls, 1 Win, 4 Losses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Stanford -11

While they arent as good as when "Coach Jim" was there, they still thrive from his impact on the facilties. Constantly upgrading, getting donor money to create a big time program and lower standards to get top football players.

v. NU who, has the donors, but doesnt have the new facilities YET and needs to lower standards to get better player.

Coach Fitz could be Harbaugh if allowed and supported.

Coach Fitz could be your next Bears coach! Would need to check on the age of his kids, but the stars are aligning for it to happen one day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:47 am 

You made my day, Biggie.

I like Coach Fitz.

Would love to see him in Blue & Orange some day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:02 am 

Godfella wrote:
You made my day, Biggie.

I like Coach Fitz.

Would love to see him in Blue & Orange some day.

granted , things need to break the right way, but I dont think any of them are crazy.

-This is John Fox's last job as a HC. I think he will due a good job here, but its not for long. if they do well, Gace will be offered a HC job, a good GM will hve his next coach in waiting.
-Ginny is gonna croak soon and real money is going to be an issue.
-Pat Ryan will have the chance to increase his ownerhsip % , it not own the Bears.
-Ryan and Fitz are tight.
-BY that time, Fitz might have had enough of running the Northwestern JC program while his guys share a 10 x 20 weight room with the girls field hockey team.

Like I said, pieces have to fall, but I dont think any of them are crazy, but it still is like hitting a 5 game parlay of heavy faves.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:16 am 

What, if any, affect will the 2016 Olympics thing have on Ryan's future endeavors of the magnitude you detailed above, Biggie?

Granted, there were things that were way out of his control.

Personally, I think it is all water under the bridge and that much juice can pretty much make anything a memory.

Do you really think he could take majority share of Beloved? I think that may be something George would never allow to happen. If only for pride? They do some foolish things up there just to try and save face, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am 

Godfella wrote:
What, if any, affect will the 2016 Olympics thing have on Ryan's future endeavors of the magnitude you detailed above, Biggie?

Granted, there were things that were way out of his control.

Personally, I think it is all water under the bridge and that much juice can pretty much make anything a memory.

Do you really think he could take majority share of Beloved? I think that may be something George would never allow to happen. If only for pride? They do some foolish things up there just to try and save face, IMO.

2016 Olympics was Daleys baby. Ryan is fine...

I am not saying it would be easy for Ryan to get a higher % of the Bears and I know George will do what he can to control the Bears, as they have said a PLAN IS IN PLACE, which I dont doubt. I can only guess that plan is the Bears take on debt to retain Ginnys shares, which means for the first time ever they have a real expense to deal with instead of hoarding cash, which would further show you what a terrible ownership group they are. Companies take on debt to finance money making operations (New Stadium, New machines, new products). This Po Dunk family would take on debt just to say they have the shares. They really think they do a great job of owning the team, which is really the problem of everything.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 am 

That's what figured but wasn't certain. This could really get interesting. Thanks for the info, BF.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Speedway
Fitz needs a good year. Another 5 or 6 win year will drop his coaching stock.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 am 

Godfella wrote:
That's what figured but wasn't certain. This could really get interesting. Thanks for the info, BF.

I dont think we can appreciate how bad of an organization they really are, because they are Bears and the only NFL most of us have ever known.

The entire Packer organization runs circles around them in EVERY realm.

The Bears = the Raiders.

if you took the same ownership group management style over the years, with the facilities and potential fan base, you would get the Raiders results.

In a way, you can blame the fans for continuing to eat at the shitty establishment and letting them keep telling everyone how good the food is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:40 am 

I agree. Fitzgerald definitely needs a good year. Possibly another Bowl birth to keep his value up. They lost too many close games the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:50 am 

bigfan wrote:
Godfella wrote:

I dont think we can appreciate how bad of an organization they really are, because they are Bears and the only NFL most of us have ever known.

The entire Packer organization runs circles around them in EVERY realm.

The Bears = the Raiders.

if you took the same ownership group management style over the years, with the facilities and potential fan base, you would get the Raiders results.

In a way, you can blame the fans for continuing to eat at the shitty establishment and letting them keep telling everyone how good the food is.

I am guilty as charged. I love the Bears and always will - no matter what. However, I do see the valid points and comparisons involving the Packers & Raiders. No doubt that Bears Brass could do a lot better. Maybe McDonough can work his magic in Lake Forest someday?
I work with a few Bears fans but some are Packers and the generational Steelers fans. I don't like the Packers but I do respect what they have done with the franchise. The Bears Organization should be the model benchmark of an NFL team but they too often fall short.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 am 

Sorry for the off topic Bears stuff.

Bottom line...

GO CATS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
bigfan wrote:
Stanford -11
Coach Fitz could be your next Bears coach! Would need to check on the age of his kids, but the stars are aligning for it to happen one day.

I like Fitz, but I would prefer "Coach Jim" as the next Bears head coach.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Stanford -11

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Jim Harbaugh is not going to be at Michigan for the long term. That once the football program at his alma mater gets turned around, the expectation seems to be that Jim is going to return to the NFL.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 pm 

WindyCityBreeze wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Stanford -11

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Jim Harbaugh is not going to be at Michigan for the long term. That once the football program at his alma mater gets turned around, the expectation seems to be that Jim is going to return to the NFL.

Well he isnt coming here....and this Michigan Turn Around isnt happening in a year. I think it is easy to see Harbaughs term at Michigan. See what age the kids are and work from there.

I think College coaching is a tougher job than the NFL. You got so much more to worry about. Fans, Aloomni, NCAA, School, Dumb ass kids, Recruiting the next class, etc. The NFL....Just win, hore a ton of coaches, break it down, find an owner that will do anything to win...and saddle up. You get offseason to recharge.

So while I dont doubt Harbaugh goes back to the NFL....not going to be for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:05 am 

I knew a guy that was an assistant coach at both the big time college level and the NFL (NC State under Amato, then the RB coach when the "new" Cleveland Browns came around).

According to him, the college football coach's life is much, much easier than the NFL life. There is no "offseason" for an NFL coach, and the daily/weekly hours are much longer.
If you are a college coach, you have an extended offseason that is actually free time, plus a lot more "golf outings" and similar during the season. He left the NFL to go back to college because he needed some kind of life outside of football.
"Being a college coach is a job, being an NFL coach is your life". His quote.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:02 am 

spanky wrote:
I knew a guy that was an assistant coach at both the big time college level and the NFL (NC State under Amato, then the RB coach when the "new" Cleveland Browns came around).

According to him, the college football coach's life is much, much easier than the NFL life. There is no "offseason" for an NFL coach, and the daily/weekly hours are much longer.
If you are a college coach, you have an extended offseason that is actually free time, plus a lot more "golf outings" and similar during the season. He left the NFL to go back to college because he needed some kind of life outside of football.
"Being a college coach is a job, being an NFL coach is your life". His quote.

You cannot convince me that groveling at an entitled teenagers feet several times per week is easy