It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Holy shit...they're terrible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUL5lnd9iXI

Music for girls from Schaumburg who move to Phoenix to be dental hygienists and date abusive boyfriends.

And get boob jobs because they're bartenders, now.

It's remarkable how this band has taken the suburban/myspace scene sound of 10+ years ago and preserved it in amber. Honest to God, I thought all that screamo shit with the tedious lyrics and the band names that were always [Present Tense Verb] [Girl Name] just plain dried up. I'm gonna take some LiveJournal surveys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Holy shit...they're terrible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUL5lnd9iXI

Music for girls from Schaumburg who move to Phoenix to be dental hygienists and date abusive boyfriends.

And get boob jobs because they're bartenders, now.

It's remarkable how this band has taken the suburban/myspace scene sound of 10+ years ago and preserved it in amber. Honest to God, I thought all that screamo shit with the tedious lyrics and the band names that were always [Present Tense Verb] [Girl Name] just plain dried up. I'm gonna take some LiveJournal surveys.

Shit ruined Q101 for me around 03 or 04. Looking back, Limp Bizkit made it worse, but I was a complete moron at 21 that thought it was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:49 am 

Oh, did Taking Back Sunday and Say Anything and all that shit get Q101 airplay in 04-05? I wasn't listening at the time. I guess if it got play anywhere, that's where it would have. I thought all that music was propagated by Myspace rather than corporate alternative radio, which would have been into, I dunno, Ryan Adams or Interpol.

Emergency & I by the Dismemberment Plan is probably in my top 50 albums, but it really did lay a lot of groundwork for overly busy, ponderous strip mall music.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:

on pure word/term association this is what i've got for that.

btw re: the referendum on phish, i was forced to listen to them a pretty fair amount.... i remember that their bassist could wail and i absolutely hated their version of gin and juice (not to be confused with the one by the gourds, the one i heard was on some live bootleg/show tape of theirs) because that's what i had to hear from this deadhead/phish dude.

their bassist was really good tho. the dead/phish head hated my perpetual electronic music bataan dance march in the car, which is what led to him going to the dead/phish tapes to get some "real music" going. i ended up retorting with tetra-sync and he was like "yeah that's really good, play more like that" because he couldn't hang with str8up electronic music

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
IMU wrote:
That's a song for the ladies, my friend. You can't judge them based on the ballad each album requires.

https://youtu.be/83eZDZTHYfI

And they have the best bridges in their songs: https://youtu.be/83eZDZTHYfI?t=139

This did not help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:53 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Oh, did Taking Back Sunday and Say Anything and all that shit get Q101 airplay in 04-05? I wasn't listening at the time. I guess if it got play anywhere, that's where it would have. I thought all that music was propagated by Myspace rather than corporate alternative radio, which would have been into, I dunno, Ryan Adams or Interpol.

I have no idea. I've never heard of either of those. Wasn't Say Anything a John Cusack movie? What was killing me at that point was the awfulness of My Chemical Romance, which was getting crammed down our throats every 20 minutes.

I won tickets to see them with Alkaline Trio circa 2005 at UIC. I watched Alkaline Trio, said "meh", and left to watch pre-season football.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
sinicalypse wrote:

btw re: the referendum on phish, i was forced to listen to them a pretty fair amount.... i remember that their bassist could wail and i absolutely hated their version of gin and juice (not to be confused with the one by the gourds, the one i heard was on some live bootleg/show tape of theirs) because that's what i had to hear from this deadhead/phish dude.

their bassist was really good tho. the dead/phish head hated my perpetual electronic music bataan dance march in the car, which is what led to him going to the dead/phish tapes to get some "real music" going. i ended up retorting with tetra-sync and he was like "yeah that's really good, play more like that" because he couldn't hang with str8up electronic music

Phish has never played Gin and Juice. We went over this.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 am 

Using CH's term

Screamo, followed by melodious shite, followed by more screamo. Quite a formula.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 am 

I hated the fuck out of Phish in high school because Lake Geneva had a sizable community of inveterate stoners with rich parents, and if we're gonna talk about early-2000s music-oriented youth subcultures, kids who live in McMansions with private runways but still don't wash their hair can fuck right off just as much as any dude in girl jeans because "they just fit better." More so, actually. But Phish qua Phish isn't so bad, not my favorite band in the world, but I respect the chops and like that "Divided Sky" comes from the same place as a lot of Zappa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I hated the fuck out of Phish in high school because Lake Geneva had a sizable community of inveterate stoners with rich parents, and if we're gonna talk about early-2000s music-oriented youth subcultures, kids who live in McMansions with private runways but still don't wash their hair can fuck right off just as much as any dude in girl jeans because "they just fit better."

Credit card hippies.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Was he thinking of bathtub gin?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:29 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Was he thinking of bathtub gin?

Perhaps.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
IMU wrote:
BS. It was played at Darkside Estates.

I never consented!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Furious Styles wrote:
IMU wrote:
BS. It was played at Darkside Estates.

I never consented!

Do you even know the definition of consent?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Chus wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

I'm gonna guess that you're the man who knows, but I'm really surprised they haven't. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
I hated the fuck out of Phish in high school because Lake Geneva had a sizable community of inveterate stoners with rich parents, and if we're gonna talk about early-2000s music-oriented youth subcultures, kids who live in McMansions with private runways but still don't wash their hair can fuck right off just as much as any dude in girl jeans because "they just fit better." More so, actually. But Phish qua Phish isn't so bad, not my favorite band in the world, but I respect the chops and like that "Divided Sky" comes from the same place as a lot of Zappa.

This reminds me of a decent show I've seen a few times on Viceland called Abandoned. These two skateboarding goofs drive around and investigate abandoned places, ghost towns, etc. On one show they drove the reverse route on Route 66 and a segment was about the Negro Motorist Book or "Green Book". They had a black woman on who was writing her own book about it and she explained what a "sundown town" was to these guys. They were shocked and appalled that such a thing ever existed, all while being ignorant to the fact that it still does in the form of gated communities, where I'm guessing at least one of them grew up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

I'm gonna guess that you're the man who knows, but I'm really surprised they haven't. :lol:

https://phish.net/faq/gin-and-juice

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Chus wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

:lol: :lol: I take it a lot of people think they have played it if there's an FAQ about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

:lol: :lol: I take it a lot of people think they have played it if there's an FAQ about it.

The Gourds version of Gin and Juice is still mislabeled as Phish on youtube.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:

File sharing made shit like this necessary.

I remember looking at my cousin's iTunes account a couple of years ago, and it was filled with music she got from random people that had a) the wrong title and b) the wrong artist. Some of my favorites:

For Your Love by the Byrds (Yardbirds)
Space Cowboy by the Steve Miller Band (are you fucking kidding me?)
Margaritaville by Kenny Chesney (Um....)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Some of my favorites:

The first one is ridiculous.

Steve Miller does do "Space Cowboy" but I assume it was "The Joker" that was labelled this way.

Are you sure it wasn't a Chesney cover of "Margaritaville"? I can totally see him doing one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Some of my favorites:

Steve Miller does do "Space Cowboy" but I assume it was "The Joker" that was labelled this way.

Are you sure it wasn't a Chesney cover of "Margaritaville"? I can totally see him doing one.

Oh yeah...I even popped them on out of curiosity...I'm trying to remember some of the other ones.

I remember a couple of Kinks songs attributed to the Beatles, a few Beatles songs that were attributed to the Stones.

I spent like 3 hours fixing it because it was making me irrationally irritated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Some of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELcTJZLxhFU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:38 pm 

Darkside wrote:
On Halloween, phish pulls a tributosaurus and becomes another band and plays the albums quite well (my favorite was white album).

Not exactly. It's a three set show, where the first and third sets are Phish sets, and the second is the "musical costume".

10.31.94 Glenn Falls Civic Center - Glenn Falls, NY (Beatles - White Album)
10.31.95 Rosemont Horizon - Rosemont, IL (The Who - Quadrophenia)
10.31.96 The Omni - Atlanta, GA (Talking Heads - Remain in Light)
10.31.98 Thomas and Mack Center - Las Vegas, NV (Velvet Underground - Loaded)
11.02.98 (that's right, the very next show) E Center - West Valley City, UT (Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon)
10.31.09 Festival 8 - Indio, CA (Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street)
10.31.10 Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ (Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus)
10.31.13 Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ (They threw the audience a curve ball, and played their own yet to be released album, Fuego)
10.31.14 MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
from phish.net
The '14 musical costume was a set of original, mostly instrumental music played with the sound effects and narration of the 1964 Disneyland album Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House. Prior to the start of Set II, the stage was cleared of all band equipment, and a graveyard set was brought out. At the start of the set, smoke filled the stage, and zombies appeared behind the gate. When the gate opened, a large haunted house with the band inside was brought to the front of the stage. The sound effects and narration were played on the PA, while an undead narrator would emerge from a crypt inscribed with "ESTHER" prior to each song for the introduction. At the end of The Fuse, the sides of the house came down while sounds of an explosion were heard, and the band was revealed inside, dressed in white tuxedoes and with zombie face paint. Several zombies came to the front of the stage and danced during Martian Monster. At the conclusion of the set, the band members came down from the Haunted House riser, slowly walked to the front of the stage, and took bows, along with the entire cast of zombies. All songs during the second set were debuts, with the titles taken from the first ten tracks of Chilling, Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House.

I saw video of the show. It was quite a production. One of the tombstones said R.I.P. Bono's Humility. :lol: Esther is a Phish song.

The boys are locked and loaded again this year. A four night (Sold Out) run concludes on 10/31 at the MGM Grand. Every year they play on Halloween, the rumors swirl as to which album will be the musical costume. I hope for Zappa every time. Maybe this will be the year.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I just interviewed a guy named Gavin. What a tool.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:46 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
I just interviewed a guy named Gavin. What a tool.

I think that's a requirement for anyone named "Gavin"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:54 pm 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Likely, the next governor of California.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:02 pm 

Chus wrote:

Fuck Gavin Floyd. Asshole.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next