It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I really hate to be a person saying this but Cohle's reversion to belief in a happy afterlife seems like a character devolving rather than evolving.

:lol: Yeah, but that's how it felt, didn't it? Like it was "nice" to have the hard-boiled, nihilistic Cohle sudddenly see there might be a positive future (even though it might be in death) and to come to believe "the light is winning". Granted, a knife to the gut might change a man's perspective, but this guy had already been through a lot. I had the feeling that wasn't the worst thing that ever happened to him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
SomeGuy wrote:
shakes wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Are you Jerry Bruckheimer or something?

yes.

I just get annoyed when people disregard history. CSI was the biggest show on tv at one point, had much more attention than True Detective. Got to the point where it was so huge they did several spin offs.

When its all said and done history will remember True Detective as a tiny blip of a show that started out too big for its britches and couldn't cash the checks it was writing when it was all said and done.

Actually, I'm pretty sure True Detective will be remembered as damn good, well written, well acted television. Some people were looking for it to show them the meaning the life or something.....well, it's no wonder they were let down.

Meaning of life? Nope, I think the audience was looking for meaning to the 8000 point plots that were never addressed.

This show will be remembered (if at all) for what it was....a hyped up by the numbers serial killer drama where the killer was obvious halfway through the show and none of the interesting point plots were ever resolved. In the end it was a half as show that fooled some people with fancy dialogue.

This show was a pig with lipstick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am 

shakes wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
shakes wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Are you Jerry Bruckheimer or something?

yes.

I just get annoyed when people disregard history. CSI was the biggest show on tv at one point, had much more attention than True Detective. Got to the point where it was so huge they did several spin offs.

When its all said and done history will remember True Detective as a tiny blip of a show that started out too big for its britches and couldn't cash the checks it was writing when it was all said and done.

Actually, I'm pretty sure True Detective will be remembered as damn good, well written, well acted television. Some people were looking for it to show them the meaning the life or something.....well, it's no wonder they were let down.

Meaning of life? Nope, I think the audience was looking for meaning to the 8000 point plots that were never addressed.

This show will be remembered (if at all) for what it was....a hyped up by the numbers serial killer drama where the killer was obvious halfway through the show and none of the interesting point plots were ever resolved. In the end it was a half as show that fooled some people with fancy dialogue.

This show was a pig with lipstick.

I don't go that far with my criticism, but I think the last three episodes make the language of the first five seem grandiose rather than brilliant

Last edited by good dolphin on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Thinking about that finale some more...I think I need to stop thinking about it because it's starting to irritate me.

Can't get a signal? :roll:

So, what were the black stars about? Was that foreshadowing for Rust seeing the stars winning? :|

Also, somebody says the word "green' and they suddenly piece everything together? :|

But, again, I loved the characters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Thinking about that finale some more...I think I need to stop thinking about it because it's starting to irritate me.

So, what were the black stars about? Was that foreshadowing for Rust seeing the stars winning? :|

Also, somebody says the word "green' and they suddenly piece everything together? :|

:lol:

Let it out...

If you were looking for a twist, it was Rust seeing the light, so to speak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 am 

On an even more mundane scale, Rust was absolutely obsessed with this case. He picked it up again after Ledoux when he knew it wasn't complete. Now we are to believe that this obsessed man is going to drop the case, knowing it goes bigger, because he had a vision of the afterlife? No. I don't believe that.

They could have essentially ended the story after the Ledoux killing. We are pretty much at the same point we were after Ledoux...maybe a little farther but only on the same level of the hierarchy of the cult.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
OK, so I'm supposed to believe that a schizophrenic back woods simpleton somehow ring lead the modern version of the cult. I'm also to believe that he somehow read the works of an incredibly obscure, insignificant work of literary horror and has shaped so much of the cult's nomenclature around it.

Pizzolato is the literary version of good dolphin in high school, he cannot close.

Why was he speaking in a british accent some of the time?

Quote:
Early in the episode, we see Errol come into the big house, "North by Northwest" is playing and he starts doing a James Mason voice. Then he slips into a number of other accents. What was behind that?

Nic Pizzolatto: That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged. And then when Cohle is in Carcosa, he sounds like something entirely different.

This is the type of shit the Pizzolatto needed to flesh out in the show. How were we supposed to know this?!?!?!!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
OK, so I'm supposed to believe that a schizophrenic back woods simpleton somehow ring lead the modern version of the cult. I'm also to believe that he somehow read the works of an incredibly obscure, insignificant work of literary horror and has shaped so much of the cult's nomenclature around it.

Pizzolato is the literary version of good dolphin in high school, he cannot close.

Why was he speaking in a british accent some of the time?

Quote:
Early in the episode, we see Errol come into the big house, "North by Northwest" is playing and he starts doing a James Mason voice. Then he slips into a number of other accents. What was behind that?

Nic Pizzolatto: That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged. And then when Cohle is in Carcosa, he sounds like something entirely different.

This is the type of shit the Pizzolatto needed to flesh out in the show. How were we supposed to know this?!?!?!!?

Agreed.

I took it that the different voices were because he was schizophrenic, resulting from his own abuse. I thought schizo also explained why he used the father's voice when he had sex with his sister.

Was Errol the same guy who played the crazy general in charge of the western territories in Dances With Wolves?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I was hoping he'd start referring to himself in the third person as a nod to the character he played on Boardwalk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I don't go that far with my criticism, but I think the last three episodes make the language of the first five seem grandiose rather than brilliant

I agree. Suddenly all the Chambers stuff, rather than being substantive, was simply showy and arbitrary. And then this goof tromping around his hoarder house talking like Richard III. I felt like I was in a creative writing class.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:

I don't want to get bogged down here in a possibly inexact analogy stated off the cuff.

My point is that a character in almost any story eventually comes to the point where looks into the abyss. The character will really only evolve if he accepts what he finds. The character is stunted if he looks into it with the reality being too horrible (and I don't mean that horrible in a slasher movie sort of way) for him to accept and so, he steps away unchanged.

I really hate to be a person saying this but Cohle's reversion to belief in a happy afterlife seems like a character devolving rather than evolving.

I disagree completely. Cohle's nihilism throughout the early part of the series was clearly a defense mechanism IMO. The only time he actually lived by that philosophy was possibly when he was off drinking for a few years after he quit the force. His dedication to the case in the first place however indicated a commitment to something greater than himself, something he was only in a position to admit at the conclusion of the series, even in the face of having nothing (and I think it's reductive to treat that ending conversation as nothing more than a happy afterlife change of heart anyway).

Marty's criticism of Cohle's life in the early part of the show may have been completely hypocritical but it wasn't inaccurate. The fact that Rust didn't get to crack the entire case nor even get the tragic death he was so clearly pining for yet admitted that there was something worthwhile about existence is exactly an evolution of his character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

On second thought, I don't think Rust was ever an atheist.

He described his coma experience the same way he described his daughter's coma experience to the detectives. "Slipped into another kind".

How did he know his daughter's coma experience? He didn't obviously. It's because he wanted to believe it was like that for her. That she went into another world or a heaven of some sort.

So he always believed in a higher power or a God.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:02 am 

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
See that's just silly. There's a reason that CSI and Law and Order have never got 1/100th of the attention that this series got. I understand you didn't like the way the show evolved and ended, but it definitely wasn't a bland whodunit police procedural. The writing and the directing was far superior to those vanilla shows. There were real themes and characters that were explored in this series, and it kept us all interested to the very end. I don't see any 20+ page threads on CSI around here.

For 6 years CSI had over 20 million viewers per episode, topping out one year at 26 million as the #1 watched show on TV. True Detective averages between 10 and 11 million viewers. So FavreFan, get off your tv-pretentiousness high horse and answer this question, who you crappin?

In 10 years, nobody will remember CSI even existed. Their regular CBS viewers will all be dead.

And you can't compare viewing numbers between premium cable, and regular broadcast TV. Just stop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 am 

Beardown wrote:
On second thought, I don't think Rust was ever an atheist.

He described his coma experience the same way he described his daughter's coma experience to the detectives. "Slipped into another kind".

How did he know his daughter's coma experience? He didn't obviously. It's because he wanted to believe it was like that for her. That she went into another world or a heaven of some sort.

So he always believed in a higher power or a God.

I think he believed in superior interdimensional beings rather than a traditional definition of god.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
See that's just silly. There's a reason that CSI and Law and Order have never got 1/100th of the attention that this series got. I understand you didn't like the way the show evolved and ended, but it definitely wasn't a bland whodunit police procedural. The writing and the directing was far superior to those vanilla shows. There were real themes and characters that were explored in this series, and it kept us all interested to the very end. I don't see any 20+ page threads on CSI around here.

For 6 years CSI had over 20 million viewers per episode, topping out one year at 26 million as the #1 watched show on TV. True Detective averages between 10 and 11 million viewers. So FavreFan, get off your tv-pretentiousness high horse and answer this question, who you crappin?

In 10 years, nobody will remember CSI even existed. Their regular CBS viewers will all be dead.

And you can't compare viewing numbers between premium cable, and regular broadcast TV. Just stop.

He thinks The Wire was too boring to watch. I'm not taking his shots too seriously on TV shows.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:01 am 

Douchebag wrote:
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

LOL you really think anyone's gonna remember True Detective in 10 years?

Its no Sopranos, its not even 6 Feet Under (which had higher ratings its first season) and no one remembers that anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 am 

I know you guys are being hyperbolic, but people will remember both shows for a while.

People remember Quantum Leap and The Fall Guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 pm 

I'm ambivalent about the finale. It was entertaining in spots and cheesy in others. For me the series started to fizzle with that ghetto shootout. I know people think it was really important television because of the unedited shot but I found the setup to be ludicrous. The creators also threw out way too many red herrings. I could imagine people at HBO planning it that way just to get internet buzz for the show. Get people talking about the show from week to week. Play with the audience. The fanboys will defend the show as a character study. It was but how in depth was the character study? We're just supposed to buy Rust throws off twenty years of an existential crisis in that last scene? And what was the evolution of Marty? Did he acknowledge to his wife and children how much of a dick he was? He blubbered in a hospital bed. Wow. But it was well-acted and directed. The cinematography was unparalleled for a television show. Even though I came away thinking this show could have been more, it's still far superior than most of the pablum on the air.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I know you guys are being hyperbolic, but people will remember both shows for a while.

People remember Quantum Leap and The Fall Guy

I remember The Magic Door and Gigglesnort Hotel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 pm 

truly weaksauce. i told you guys this show was confusing as shit and going nowhere just 3 episodes in. i am surprised how dumb it ended though. what the fuck was that? i mean at least the first few episodes SEEMED like a revolutionary show... it was just obvious if you actually interpreted what they were saying it made no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:38 pm 

Came across this while searching for the Sandusky look alike guy

This is the crazy knotted up ending many were hoping for...

Series creator Nic Pizzolatto has stated that the last two episodes serve as Act III, and elements from the first six episodes will now start tying together and be finally revealed.
So on the eve of Episode 7, here is the complete unified theory to the entire mystery (based on several fan theories and plausible speculations posted throughout the Internet).
Be warned -- this theory ties nearly EVERYTHING together and could turn out to contain actual SPOILERS:
**Why was Dora’s body put on display, and the second victim’s in 2012?
The person who displayed her body in 1995 did not kill her, but has been trying to expose the cult. Since Rust and Marty failed to do this in 1995, this person displayed the body of a second victim of the cult in 2012. This helpful person could be the lawnmower guy Rust chatted with in 1995.
**So lawnmower guy is the spaghetti monster?
Most likely. He appeared to be chasing after the little girl who saw him, but he may have been actually chasing her off, away from something or people who wanted to harm her.
**Okay, that would work. So what’s been going on with Marty’s daughters?
Macie, Marty's youngest daughter, was molested as a child during some creepy "coming-of-age" ritual where a little girl is blindfolded and wears a crown of deer antlers, and must find her way through a wooded area. (The little girl represents an innocent, virginal fawn who must navigate her way around predators and other dangers in order to reach a “safe” zone -- which could be a field of flowers.)
This incident traumatized her of course. So she spent some time in the same mental ward that Rust visited in 2002. As part of her therapy, Macie painted a drawing of a field of flowers -- this represents a close-up from her POV of what she saw while she was laying on her stomach and being molested. (The “safe” zone was just a few feet in front of her which she failed to reach.) This drawing she did hung over her parents' bed on the wall in 1995, and a larger version of her work was painted on the back wall of the mental ward.
Audrey, her older sister, probably witnessed what happened to her sister during this ritual, but was powerless to do anything. This explains her behavior over the years, especially her sexually promiscuous actions. It also explains in 1995 why she took the princess crown away from Macie and threw it up into a tree -- it was Audrey's symbolic attempt at protecting her sister.
Yes, this creepy "deer princess forest" ritual is connected to the cult. Perhaps its historic origin started innocently enough but then grew perverted over the generations. The lawnmower guy/spaghetti monster knows about this ritual, and dressed Dora's body with the deer horn crown and blindfold as a strong clue to the police that the people behind her murder are also the ones who practice this absurd custom on little girls.
**Man, that’s DARK. What are the devil catchers all about?
They have been placed in areas where a victim of the cult has been found or taken from. They were left not by the killer(s) but by someone who has inside knowledge of these bad people. (Perhaps the lawnmower guy.)
He left them to serve as clues for someone in law enforcement who would be willing to help. (Reggie Ledoux said he dreamt of Rust, which could be interpreted to mean he/they have been hoping for someone uncorrupted to come to expose the truth of Carcosa and bring justice for the victims.)
The devil catchers also serve as memorials to the victims, especially those who remain missing, whose bodies have never been found.
**What is this five leaders of a cult thing?
There are five leaders of the cult. Rust in 2012 knows this, which he discovered throughout the course of his investigation after he left the police in 2002. He had the 2012 detectives bring him beers, not really to drink them, but so he could make the five figures out of the empty beer cans.
He flicked one of them over. This represents Rev. Tuttle who died in 2010. So there are four leaders left in 2012.
Rust did the beer-can figure crafting not for the benefit of the 2012 detectives (who didn't seem to notice anything odd about him doing this) but as a direct message to the people who he expects will watch the video of his interview: the four remaining leaders.
**Well then, who are these five leaders?
First of all, the lawnmower guy is NOT one of the five. He’s a minion who has witnessed these five do bad things. Lawnmower dude has been trying to help by leaving clues through the devil catchers and by the way he displayed Dora’s body in 1995 and the second victim’s in 2012 (wearing horn crowns, blindfolded and marked with the spiral). He hasn’t come forward to the police because he knows these five control the police (and some ARE the police), so he would likely be forced to suicide.
Rev. Tuttle. Many fans agree he is/was one of the five. He died in 2010. In 2012 when he’s being interviewed, Rust makes five beer-can figures and flicks one over. This probably represents Tuttle.
Maggie’s father (Marty’s ex father-in-law). In 2012, Rust makes the figures out of empty LONE STAR beer cans. This is the same brand of beer that Maggie’s father is clearly shown drinking in 1995.
Commander Speece. He’s the hunched-over Jerry Sandusky lookalike in the police department who acted like he was getting in the way of Rust and Marty’s investigation in 1995. Is he still alive in 2012?
Geraci. He’s the police detective in 1995 whom Rust slapped, and the two got in one another’s face. What are his whereabouts in 2012?
Okay, now here’s the most controversial member, and many viewers will not want to believe this, because it may be considered over-the-top. But some things seem to uncomfortably hint that this person is Number 5…
Maggie. It would fit with her behavior in Episode 6: The theory many have pointed out that she may have purposely seduced Rust to break him and Marty apart. And she may have recognized the evidence photos of the deer horn crown in Rust’s apartment in 2002.
Maggie’s involvement would of course be a controversial reveal considering the criticism the show has gotten for its depiction of women. But Nic Pizzolatto may be going for the angle that Maggie is what happens to someone who herself could be a victim of sexual child abuse. Also, the young woman who killed her three babies may have been foreshadowing leading up to this reveal about Maggie. Pizzolatto may also be going for the “everybody is guilty in this fucked up world” angle.
Also, in the opening credits, Maggie’s face is superimposed with images of jellyfish. This sea creature has traditionally represented acceptance, faith, “going with the flow.” Interpret this what you will in regards to her character.
**Where is Carcosa? Is it a real place?
This is not based on anything in the first six episodes. It’s derived from the images and probable symbolism inferred in the opening credits:
Yes, there is a place referred to as “Carcosa” by this cult. Carcosa could be on the grounds of a chemical processing plant, one of the many factories spewing pollutants into the air we’ve seen in the background throughout the series. (Thus, the answer has been right under Rust’s and Marty’s noses. Recall in the first episode that Rust commented about the air quality of the region due to these factories. So this reveal would be both literal and figurative, and have been foreshadowed very early on.)
One of the five leaders of the cult could own one of these factory plants. It could be Maggie’s father.
So the season finale could play out “inside Carcosa” on the grounds of a chemical processing plant, and there will be a huge explosion. It will be a fire and brimstone, Judgement Day climax.
**Now that sounds BAD-ASS! Okay, what about the Yellow King? Who is it?
Speculation at this point: It’s not an actual person, but a vision of an entity or light that the followers and victims of this cult hope to see when they take LSD during a ritual. (The so-called monster at the end of the dream one has about being a person.)
Perhaps in the finale, when he gets too close to the truth, Marty is kidnapped by the cult, taken to Carcosa, and drugged so he too can see the Yellow King and become willing to join them. (He won’t of course, but he will have to face his figurative demons, the monster at the end of the dream, in a nearly literal way. He himself will become “blind” -- tripping his shit out -- and must navigate his way through Carcosa and its dangers to reach a “safe” zone.)
**The spiral?
Speculation: It’s the symbol of this cult, but specifically is a mark that appears in areas (on a tree, on the street, buildings, etc.) directing those who seek Carcosa to its actual location. The pathway and actual entryway to the site known as Carcosa could be marked by spirals.
Bonus symbolism point: the spiral design itself could represent smoke blowing out of a chemical processing plant.
**So has this cult been holding actual human sacrifices inside this “Carcosa” over the decades… and on top of that organized gang-rape inside it, too?
Yep.
**Seriously, for real?? I mean, dude, that’s just sounds… crazy, unbelievable, and sick as fuck.
Yep. And maybe even the bodies of the 3 dead babies of the young woman who “confessed” she killed her babies were used in these sacrificial ceremonies.
**UGH!
Sorry.
**This theory seems to cover everything in True Detective’s first six episodes. Is there anything else?
The words SIN, CULT and HERO together form RUSTIN CHOLE.
**Whoa.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I'm watching the Percy Jackson movie with the kids and the hot, naked chick from True Detective is one of the leads.

Makes me feel like Pervy Jackson.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:42 am 

I'm watching the Percy Jackson movie with the kids and the hot, naked chick from True Detective is one of the leads.

You have to be more specific, there was more than one hot naked chick. You talking about tits for days or you talking about anal annie?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:40 am 

The former.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
"All my life I wanted to be nearer to God. And the only nearness was silence"

I am 6 episodes in. This show is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Peoria Matt wrote:

It certainly is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:27 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

It certainly is.

But if he's 6 episodes in....it may have already peaked

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:20 am 

Man after taking a little time away, I can say again this ending was truly awful. Just way too many red herrings to not pay off

Anyway, just saw this in a Gawker post about McConaughey and Brad Pitt

When McConaughey finally noticed him, Pitt—who's been rumored to be in talks for the second season of True Detective—managed to toss McConaughey a beer from his balcony. Not pictured: Woody Harrelson, sulking.

WTF? I thought it was two women?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I watched the first seven eps. Never got around to watching the finale.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am 

redskingreg wrote:
I watched the first seven eps. Never got around to watching the finale.

Best way to watch it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next