It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm 

There have been a few missed opportunities to pickup some nice reclamation projects this off season but they missed out because Hahn has absolutely no idea what the fuck he's doing and his roster has too many high priced vets on a go nowhere team.

RHP Eddie Butler was just designated for assignment by the Rockies and the Sox cannot let this opportunity get away. Butler is only 26 years old and in dire need of a change of scenery after getting shell shocked in the pitching hell holes known as Albuquerque,Colorado Springs and Coors Field. He has the stuff to be a solid middle of the rotation starter. Start him off in Charlotte where he can enjoy some success and regain his confidence and by the 2nd half they could have a very nice rotation piece for the next several years. Don't fuck this one up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
C Jesus Sucre from the Mariners. Can't hit but very good defensive and framing catcher. Would be nice to have around for Rodon/Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Keyser Soze wrote:
There have been a few missed opportunities to pickup some nice reclamation projects this off season but they missed out because Hahn has absolutely no idea what the fuck he's doing and his roster has too many high priced vets on a go nowhere team.

RHP Eddie Butler was just designated for assignment by the Rockies and the Sox cannot let this opportunity get away. Butler is only 26 years old and in dire need of a change of scenery after getting shell shocked in the pitching hell holes known as Albuquerque,Colorado Springs and Coors Field. He has the stuff to be a solid middle of the rotation starter. Start him off in Charlotte where he can enjoy some success and regain his confidence and by the 2nd half they could have a very nice rotation piece for the next several years. Don't fuck this one up.

Maybe he could be the next Erik Johnson.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Mel Framey

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Mel Famey

What?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Mel Famey

What?

sorry Mel Famey

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Mel Famey

What?

sorry Mel Famey
What?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:42 pm 

Eddie Butler to Cubs.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 pm 

Cubs got him for a middle reliever and some international pocket money. Idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i got a guy for this list.... cesar vargas from the san diego padres.

pretty much a career reliever in the minor leagues, he came up with little to no fanfare and was like 5IP 1ER 3K against the cardinals. and he would keep going out and just doing these solid outings (with the exception being a trip to wrigley where he got his shit pushed in but, hey, #CubsGonnaCub you know? thats why his overall #s look like shit) and the highlight was this 7IP 2ER 7K outing against the dodgers where he pitched some heroic baseball (and i wanna say the 2nd ER came in via relievers or something)

...of course, his next start after that was like 1.2IP 7ER against the diamodbacks and then it's like "oh yeah his arm blew up" and if he didn't get tommy john then he got some kind of other surgery that ended his season on may 28th.

from watching the guy i can tell you that he doesnt have overpowering stuff... he'll nibble nibble nibble and walk some guys, but then he'll turn around and throw some some nice pitches in a proper sequence that has you going like "damn, the kid can pitch!" and overall if you look at his season last year he had 7 starts at the MLB level last year. aside from the 4IP 10H 6ER @Wrigley and the last start right before they realized his arm was cooked, he was basically 5/+ IP 0-2ER, and in his last 2 starts b4 his arm blew up he combined to have 14K and 1BB.

the padres went out and added jhoulys chacin and mr. "i'm gonna prove i'm a starter!" trevor cahill this offseason (and maybe one other dude) so vargas figures to start off in the minors.... if you can grab the kid for a song i'm telling you, if his arm will hold up (and it's not like he was getting by on stuff b4 the surgery) this kid can pitch and he'd be an asset in the backside of a rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Keyser Soze wrote:

Hahn really should be lambasted in the press for not making this move. Butler is probably out of options, but he'd have been fine at the end of the White Sox bullpen throwing 3 meaningless innings a week and just getting used to not having to pitch in Colorado.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:19 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Hahn really should be lambasted in the press for not making this move. Butler is probably out of options, but he'd have been fine at the end of the White Sox bullpen throwing 3 meaningless innings a week and just getting used to not having to pitch in Colorado.

I "lifted" the text below from mlbtraderumors.com

but Butler does have a minor league option remaining. As such, he’s likely to open the season at Triple-A Iowa and look to get his career back on track, potentially serving as a depth piece for a Cubs team that will look to deploy a six-man rotation in the latter stages of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Then Hahn has absolutely no excuse about letting this guy get past him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Yeah, it's breaking my heart that the Sox failed to sign a guy with a 7 ERA in 160 big league innings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, it's breaking my heart that the Sox failed to sign a guy with a 7 ERA in 160 big league innings.

John Danks is available

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It amazes me what some of my Sox fan brethren want.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They want whatever they don't have.

This kid has been a bum. They didn't take a flyer on him. Who cares.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 am 
100000 CLUB

Keyser has some strange thoughts on the Sox.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They want whatever they don't have.

This kid has been a bum. They didn't take a flyer on him. Who cares.

I sit here and think there is a really good chance this Moncada guy is going to suck. Maybe my faith in suspects just isn't that strong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 am 

I don't think he's going to suck but I don't think he's going to be a franchise type guy either. He'll be fine/good but wildly inconsistent. I also think he ends up in left field.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I haven't been paying close enough attention lately and I really do not watch prospects at all. So someone please help me out. What has happened on a baseball field since the trade that has made Moncada worse then everyone thought when we got him?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 am 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
What has happened on a baseball field since the trade that has made Moncada worse then everyone thought when we got him?
The Blackhawks lost to the Blues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I haven't been paying close enough attention lately and I really do not watch prospects at all. So someone please help me out. What has happened on a baseball field since the trade that has made Moncada worse then everyone thought when we got him?

Red Sox prospects, like Cubs/Dodgers/Yankees ones, aren't given a skeptical eye.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
pittmike wrote:

one guy, Keith Law, decided he's going to suck because he struck out 12 times in the majors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:03 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

naw, he has a perfectly cromulent idea for a course of action for a [relatively?] cheap/er club, but the problem is that he saw that the cubs flung some shit at the wall [to see if eddie butler sticks] and he immediately was like "why didn't the sox do this?" cuz evidently only don cooper can turn wayward pitchers around.... just ask jake arrieta!

seriously, if sox fans get all caught up in trying to keep up with the cubses then their heads are gonna hurt sooner than later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
sinicalypse wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

naw, he has a perfectly cromulent idea for a course of action for a [relatively?] cheap/er club, but the problem is that he saw that the cubs flung some shit at the wall [to see if eddie butler sticks] and he immediately was like "why didn't the sox do this?" cuz evidently only don cooper can turn wayward pitchers around.... just ask jake arrieta!

seriously, if sox fans get all caught up in trying to keep up with the cubses then their heads are gonna hurt sooner than later.

To be fair to Keyser, he was advocating for this bum before the Cubs got him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:08 pm 

pittmike wrote:

honestly i don't think it's that moan yoncada is necessarily bad, it's just that you basically traded the best guy on your team for a kid who hasn't proven shit at the MLB level yet. if you traded sale for my guy nomar mazara (.264/20/64 or thereabouts at the MLB level in his age 20 season last year) it'd be a different situation entirely cuz sox fans could, example, remember that mammoth HR he slugged out of comiskey when the rangers came to town last season.

so right now it's like you traded the #1 asset/commodity on your team for a known unknown. donald rumsfeld would be proud!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
To be fair to Keyser, he was advocating for this bum before the Cubs got him.

ok i didn't know that so fair play to verbal kint then. eddie butler had a few spells/runs on my flagship fantasy team and i can tell you that at his best he's one of those ~3.60/1.70 ERA/WHIP guys, so even when he's "been at his best" he's putting guys on base and then getting out of it fairly well... and that typically means that either 1) the "getting out of trouble" thing is a good sign going forward cuz "imagine when he isn't putting 2 guys on base every inning" or 2) eventually BABIP or some intelligent-sounding metric will come into play and he'll "Stop getting lucky" and that 3.84 type ERA will rise up to be commensurate with putting ~2/+ guys on base every inning. i've seen it play out both ways b4 so let's just sit back and hope that our guy DC can work his magic again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:38 pm 

Osvaldo Hernandez. 18 yr old Cuban LHP. They should do what they have to do to sign him. That's what rebuilding teams do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote: