It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Starting a podcast for the purpose of generating revenue is the wrong reason to start a podcast. As mentioned above, there are FAR too many free options.

First you launch the podcast.

Then you build the brand and feel.

The sponsors will find you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good show. I will listen whenever you have old WSCR guys on. Next up Murph!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

Didn't know this existed until I saw it referenced in another section on the board. Good stuff

Would love to hear a Mac and Jurko episode with both of them uncensored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Starting a podcast for the purpose of generating revenue is the wrong reason to start a podcast. As mentioned above, there are FAR too many free options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr8PhAo4gkc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
DannyB wrote:
That Mac isn't on the radio in Chicago and the people who are, are is absurd.

Ill never understand why someone who openly didn't give a shit about his job is beloved for the job he did.
His job wasn't to like all sports leagues.

That's not my point though. Let's take basketball for example. I don't care that he doesn't like basketball. But in Chicago during a Bulls season, and particularly during exciting Bulls seasons, I'm sorry but you're going to have to talk basketball. He didn't want to do that. That's whenever he did show up to the station. I wouldn't say I don't like hockey but I will say I don't know much about it. However if my job is to host a sports radio show in a major hockey city like Chicago, you can bet I'm gonna study my ass off in order to have a solid conversation on hockey and the Blackhawks with fans and guests on the show. Or I could just say I don't give a shit, not show up for several months, and still get pats on the back from adoring fans.

to put it in your basketball terms, I bet you really appreciate that hard working Taj Gibson.

:lol: first of all this is not about basketball. im basically calling him an enabled lazy malcontent. you seem to not have a problem with that in this specific case. maybe generally too. to be clear i actually like him when he's engaged. i wasn't tuned in during his time with Terry and I chose 670 over his ESPN show when he was there, so most of my sample size is limited to the Mac and Speigs show. I understand he built up his rep during the earlier days and then at ESPN. Like I said, I liked him with Matt...when he showed up. But it's hard to couch praise in anything other than criticism because he was so unpredictable in terms of the energy or lack thereof that he brought to the show. It became offensive because whether you're a star or not at the very least you have to deliver to earn your check, and at some point he apparently became fine with collecting a check for delivering nothing. that's fine if that's your thing. maybe he caught whatever Terry had before a real illness forced him to retire last month.

.)

The entertainment field isn't like a guy on an assembly line. 90% of the guys on air at the Score right now can eat their vitamins, say their prayers and work day and night but never be as entertaining as Dan. Sir is a perfect example of this. I really do appreciate his work ethic and maybe I will listen to him when it comes to a show about something that requires research. However, on most days I am going for the straight entertainment and he is not it.

You happened to catch Dan's work during a less creative period. The overwhelming majority of his career he has not only be entertaining but he was also a guy who did all the heavy lifting at his radio station. He took ESPN from a station that had zero relevance and made it a ratings winner. He followed North's lead in doing the same with the Score.

Yes, it sucks that Mozart could walk into the room and create beauty while Solieri had to pound keys all day but that's life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Fantastic episode, Dr. Ken :salut: - and shoutout to Mac for the engagement.

One thing that has not been mentioned before in the thread, but was really interesting is what Mac had to say about Rozner - how Rozner seems to be on the Score more often than the regulars as a fill-in, and that Mac would love to be in that position, as you don't have to carry any particular show/partner baggage over the long haul. Maybe that is exactly why Rozner isn't a "full-timer" (assuming whether he has actually even been offered a full-time gig) - he can have a full-time-like presence without being tied to any specific show.

Sounds like this type of arrangement may be the "mystery" gig Mac is alluding to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Let the record show heyyyyyyyyyy that F. Murray Abraham's portrayal of Salieri was fantastic but also extraordinarily fictional. At the very least the were considered contemporary peers, and there is no hard evidence to suggest their relationship was anything other than cordial if not outright friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
this is what bugs me about Parkins...he sounds like he's -doing radio-

It's not natural. I'm not the world's biggest Mac fan but I get why people want to hear him...he sounds like a natural guy on the radio...you forget it's a show.

Terry and Dan could get that way when the show was good...just two guys riffing on sports and whatever weird news occurred that day, plus a healthy helping of poking at their fellow workers at the Score. It's hard to explain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's

That may be true for guys that don't have any experience when starting a podcast, but advertisers will be more likely to link up with a seasoned-pro from Day 1. Of course the ad dollars will be heavily impression-contingent, as they are for any digital media, but they are far less likely to impose impression/download minimums on a "name" in the industry starting a podcast.

This is doubly so if said "name" can link up with one of the established podcasting networks like Podcast One (owned by Hubbard, I believe).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I was also intrigued by Mac's interest in becoming the Jose Oquendo of The Score.

I think that would be a great role for him. Also, might give exposure to different shows than is currently the case. More people would tune in to hear Mac than Rozner, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Add in some XRT shifts for his buddy Solk, and a podcast tied to 670 but where he gets a bigger share of the revenue (see Feder's deal with the Tribune before they self-destructed and he was obligated to publicly call them a bunch of fools) and he's probably there with time to spend in Canada fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Add in some XRT shifts for his buddy Solk, and a podcast tied to 670 but where he gets a bigger share of the revenue (see Feder's deal with the Tribune before they self-destructed and he was obligated to publicly call them a bunch of fools) and he's probably there with time to spend in Canada fishing.

We got our first Canadian downloads.

Welcome Canada and Mexico!! NAFTA has nothing on us.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
It sounded like he wanted to say a little more about Laurence, but he held back.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Chus wrote:
It sounded like he wanted to say a little more about Laurence, but he held back.

He knew what would happen if he did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:52 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

Good Dolphin would whip his ass?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:54 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

That may be true for guys that don't have any experience when starting a podcast, but advertisers will be more likely to link up with a seasoned-pro from Day 1. Of course the ad dollars will be heavily impression-contingent, as they are for any digital media, but they are far less likely to impose impression/download minimums on a "name" in the industry starting a podcast.

This is doubly so if said "name" can link up with one of the established podcasting networks like Podcast One (owned by Hubbard, I believe).

Would there be more money to be had if there was a separation of rates for impressions vs conversions (via mentions during the podcast 'x' number of times), or is they typically sold as a package deal, so to speak?

Just seems that maybe, for example, some outfit like The Score would be more interested in click-here banner ads seen from impressions as opposed to maybe a local business (Fred's Farmer's Market wherever whenever) would rather go with the in-podcast mentions.

I'm not Dr. Marketing so I don't really know my ass from a hole in the ground about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

You sit there, and you thump your chest and state your opinions and didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your shake that, talk about John 3:16 ... dolphin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Don Tiny wrote:

Would there be more money to be had if there was a separation of rates for impressions vs conversions (via mentions during the podcast 'x' number of times), or is they typically sold as a package deal, so to speak?

Just seems that maybe, for example, some outfit like The Score would be more interested in click-here banner ads seen from impressions as opposed to maybe a local business (Fred's Farmer's Market wherever whenever) would rather go with the in-podcast mentions.

I'm not Dr. Marketing so I don't really know my ass from a hole in the ground about it.

From what I've seen, podcasts tend to separate the kinds of ads, yes. The Direct Response route is usually chosen by smaller companies that prefer a pay-as-you go plan, and they'll happily throw in a bounty on sales tied to your show (via coupon code, let's say) rather than have to front a certain amount of cash. Though big-time brands have little need for that kind of direct marketing, so they'll negotiate based on a reasonably-agreed upon number of plays/mentions/positioning during a show.

The differences allow for a podcast to sustain themselves with affiliate links and coupon codes (Amazon, Stub Hub, Mack Weldon, that shit wine Bernstein sells) while they build viewership and sell show branding, pre-rolls, etc.

But with someone like Mac, his podcast can go directly to StubHub or DraftDuel for commitments before the show even starts, whereas the CFMB Review would have to show them reams of download figures. So yeah, more money in diversifying ad types, and more money up-front if the show has a marquee name.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

You sit there, and you thump your chest and state your opinions and didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your shake that, talk about John 3:16 ... dolphin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Listened today while driving down to Bourbonnais. Highly enjoyable. :cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Going to take credit for suggesting that Mac go on the Podcast and bringing up the North-Bernstein story that Mac discussed. I can be your next guest.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 pm 

I've probably listened to that thing 4 times.

What was the North-Bernstein story?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
From what I've seen, podcasts tend to separate the kinds of ads, yes. The Direct Response route is usually chosen by smaller companies that prefer a pay-as-you go plan, and they'll happily throw in a bounty on sales tied to your show (via coupon code, let's say) rather than have to front a certain amount of cash. Though big-time brands have little need for that kind of direct marketing, so they'll negotiate based on a reasonably-agreed upon number of plays/mentions/positioning during a show.

The differences allow for a podcast to sustain themselves with affiliate links and coupon codes (Amazon, Stub Hub, Mack Weldon, that shit wine Bernstein sells) while they build viewership and sell show branding, pre-rolls, etc.

But with someone like Mac, his podcast can go directly to StubHub or DraftDuel for commitments before the show even starts, whereas the CFMB Review would have to show them reams of download figures. So yeah, more money in diversifying ad types, and more money up-front if the show has a marquee name.

All very true. The few sponsors that have approached me were more of the direct conversion variety, while any sponsors on the website were impression-based. For example, my brief stint with Draft Kings included a pre-read on the podcast coupled with an affiliate link on the website.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Jurko and Mac on the Score would be a trip, can't even picture it. I wonder how often Jurko would call out Bernstein on bs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:39 am 

torch! wrote:
I wonder how often Jurko would call out Bernstein on bs

Never.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Don Tiny wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

Great stuff Doc.

Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

Great stuff Doc.

Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Chus wrote:

Great stuff Doc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Didn't Mac mention something about Bernsie not wanting North at Terry's reunion? I thought I heard you bring that up, yes?

Nice work on the Larz mention Doc!...kinda legitimizes things eh?

He called us "wild and fun!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next