It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Cornell
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I would have said guess the drug/booze combo.

Wrong again.

:lol:

Pittmike vs Douchebag is heating up!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chus wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Wrong again.

Pittmike vs Douchebag is heating up!

In my defense I didn't have time to triple source my guess.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/sin ... li=BBnb7Kz

MSN wrote:
The death of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell has been ruled a suicide by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

"The Medical Examiner has completed the autopsy on 52-year-old Chris Cornell, the Soundgarden musician who died last night in Detroit. The cause of death has been determined as hanging by suicide. A full autopsy report has not yet been completed. There is no additional information at this time."

Spokesman Brian Bumbery told the Associated Press that Cornell was found in his hotel room at the MGM Grand Detroit following a tour date at Detroit's Fox Theatre with the reunited Soundgarden, the band he'd fronted for over 30 years

Dontae Freeman, media relations manager for the Detroit Police Department, later told the newspaper, “He was found in his room with a band around his neck, but (the report) doesn’t say if it was attempted suicide or not."

Cornell had appeared to be in good spirits Wednesday when he tweeted, "Finally back to Rock City" before the show. However, Freeman noted that the singer's wife, Vicky Karayiannis, asked a family friend and asked him to check on Cornell after the show later that evening. The friend forced open his hotel room door and found Cornell unresponsive on the bathroom floor.

Bumbery called Cornell's death “sudden and unexpected” and said his wife and family are in shock. The statement said the family would be working closely with the Wayne County medical examiner to determine the cause and have asked for privacy.

Lisa Croff, of the medical examiner’s office, confirmed her agency had received Cornell’s body Thursday morning and said she expects to release more information in the afternoon after an autopsy. But the cause of death could take longer to determine, especially if toxicology analysis is required.

Cornell's distinctive, nearly four-octave wail was as synonymous to grunge as the opening guitar notes to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

According to Nielsen Music, he sold 14.9 million albums over the course of his career, first with Soundgarden and later as the frontman of the supergroup Audioslave and as a solo artist. And although he reached stardom well before the advent of iTunes, he still managed to notch 8.8 million track sales and 300 million on-demand audio streams.

He formed Soundgarden in 1984 with Hiro Yamamoto, a bandmate from his old group, the Shemps. The new group would later recruit bassist Kim Thayil and drummer Matt Cameron.

The band melded 1970s hard rock and heavy metal with alternative, paving the way for better-known bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Soundgarden became the first grunge act to sign a major-label record deal after releasing their earliest tracks on Sub Pop, the nascent indie record label that would also come to be known as the home of the "Seattle sound," and SST, a label owned by Black Flagg leader Greg Ginn.

They jumped to A&M records for their sophomore effort, 1989's Louder Than Love, for which Cornell earned raves for his voice and slams for his first major lyric-writing effort, which Rolling Stone critic J. D. Considine knocked as "clichéd" and "generally incomprehensible." But thanks to singles Hands All Over and Big Dumb Sex, Louder Than Love cracked the Billboard 200 album chart, a first for Soundgarden.

The following year, Cornell formed the first of his two supergroups: Temple of the Dog, a collaboration with Cameron and the surviving band members from Mother Love Bone, which had been fronted by Cornell's friend and roommate Andrew Wood until he died of a heroin overdose on March 19, 1990. Those bandmates — Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, would go on to form the basis of future Rock Hall of Famers Pearl Jam, along with Temple guest vocalist Eddie Vedder.

Temple of the Dog reunited for a tour in 2016 to mark the 25th anniversary of their album, which yielded the hit Hunger Strike.

Soungarden's well-timed third record, Badmotorfinger, arrived in October 1991, just a few weeks after Nirvana's Nevermind, and the band found radio and MTV much more receptive this time around. The double-platinum Badmotorfinger yielded the singles Outshined and Rusty Cage, earned them the opening slot on Guns N' Roses tour and their first Grammy nomination for best metal performance.

The band's place in the grunge canon was recognized with a couple of cameos in Cameron Crowe's 1992 film Singles, his romantic comedy about 20-somethings in Seattle. Cornell was also part of the soundtrack, contributing the solo acoustic track Seasons.

They would finally earn mainstream success and Grammys with their fourth album, 1994's Superunknown, which sold 3.9 million copies, thanks to more accessible hits like Spoon Man, Black Hole Sun and a pair of ballads that dealt with suicide and depression, The Day I Tried to Live and Fell on Black Days.

Like many of his hard-rock contemporaries including Dave Grohl and the members of Metallica, Cornell headed for the hair salon in the mid-1990s and rid himself of the long hair that was as much a part of the fading grunge era as flannel shirts.

Soundgarden parted ways in 1997 but Cornell didn't stay solo for long, forming his second supergroup, Audioslave with Rage Against the Machine alumni Tom Morello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford. They put out three albums together over six years and enjoyed hits such as Like a Stone and Cochise before disbanding in 2007. They even played a concert in Cuba, which few other acts have done.
Looking California, feeling Minnesota

Like many of his contemporaries, Cornell struggled with drug abuse, especially after the demise of Soundgarden, who had espoused the drug, alcohol and tobacco-free Straight Edge lifestyle. In a 2009 interview with The Guardian, he joked that he'd been a "pioneer" in oxycontin abuse.

He entered rehab in 2002, separating from his first wife, Helen Silver, and forcing Audioslave to back out of its first tour. By all accounts, he had managed to remain sober for the rest of his life.

Cornell told The Guardian that his 2004 divorce from Silver, manager and the mother of his first child, was so bitter that it took four years to regain custody of his guitars.

He shed light on that period of his life in an interview with KSHE-FM, explaining, "I really had to come to the conclusion, the sort of humbling conclusion that, guess what, I'm no different than anybody else, I've got to sort of ask for help — not something I ever did, ever. And then part two of that is, like, accept it when it comes and, you know, believe what people tell me. And trusting in what I have been told, and then seeing that work.”

Cornell also put out four solo studio records and a live record and went viral with a cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U.
'School is back in session'

In January 2010, Cornell announced via Twitter that Soundgarden had reunited. Two years later, the reconstituted band contributed a song and video, Live to Rise, to the first Avengers movie and released their sixth studio album, King Animal. The video for one of its songs, By Crooked Steps, was directed by Dave Grohl and features the band, in their long-haired glory, rolling up to a club gig on Segways.

The biggest difference this time around? Sobriety. "There are no bottles of Jack Daniels around or beers. And we never talked about ... it's just not there," Cornell remarked in 2011.

Last summer, bandmates Cameron and Ben Shepherd, who replaced Thayil on bass, said they had written six songs for their next album but did not give a timetable for its release.

At the time of his death, he was splitting his time between California and Paris, the base for Karayiannis, his second wife, with whom he has a daughter and a son. In the Guardian interview, he mentioned he'd even been dabbling in the Paris restaurant scene.

“That’s probably the business I’d have ended up in if it wasn’t for music," said the singer, who worked in Seattle kitchens before becoming a rock star. "It’s good for me to be involved in different things.”

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

Was it a Pretty Noose?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Tad Queasy wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/singer-chris-cornells-death-ruled-a-suicide/ar-BBBgSOR?li=BBnb7Kz

MSN wrote:
The death of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell has been ruled a suicide by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

Christ, that is sad.

And why couldn't this have happened to Eddie Vedder?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He was murdered

formerlyknownas wrote:

It's sad that he's the last one standing from all those big Seattle frontmen.

Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

What's a moidah?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/singer-chris-cornells-death-ruled-a-suicide/ar-BBBgSOR?li=BBnb7Kz

MSN wrote:

Christ, that is sad.

His time is coming. Anyone who wears a batting helmet to a baseball game has severe mental illness.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

MSN wrote:

Christ, that is sad.

His time is coming. Anyone who wears a batting helmet to a baseball game has severe mental illness.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Yep. Cops staged it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Yep. Cops staged it .

I was thinking Muslims.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
but my favorite from Superunknown is probably My Wave...

One of my all-time favorite tunes

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Tad Queasy wrote:

MSN wrote:

"The Medical Examiner has completed the autopsy on 52-year-old Chris Cornell, the Soundgarden musician who died last night in Detroit. The cause of death has been determined as hanging by suicide. A full autopsy report has not yet been completed. There is no additional information at this time."

Spokesman Brian Bumbery told the Associated Press that Cornell was found in his hotel room at the MGM Grand Detroit following a tour date at Detroit's Fox Theatre with the reunited Soundgarden, the band he'd fronted for over 30 years

Dontae Freeman, media relations manager for the Detroit Police Department, later told the newspaper, “He was found in his room with a band around his neck, but (the report) doesn’t say if it was attempted suicide or not."

Cornell had appeared to be in good spirits Wednesday when he tweeted, "Finally back to Rock City" before the show. However, Freeman noted that the singer's wife, Vicky Karayiannis, asked a family friend and asked him to check on Cornell after the show later that evening. The friend forced open his hotel room door and found Cornell unresponsive on the bathroom floor.

Bumbery called Cornell's death “sudden and unexpected” and said his wife and family are in shock. The statement said the family would be working closely with the Wayne County medical examiner to determine the cause and have asked for privacy.

Lisa Croff, of the medical examiner’s office, confirmed her agency had received Cornell’s body Thursday morning and said she expects to release more information in the afternoon after an autopsy. But the cause of death could take longer to determine, especially if toxicology analysis is required.

Cornell's distinctive, nearly four-octave wail was as synonymous to grunge as the opening guitar notes to Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

According to Nielsen Music, he sold 14.9 million albums over the course of his career, first with Soundgarden and later as the frontman of the supergroup Audioslave and as a solo artist. And although he reached stardom well before the advent of iTunes, he still managed to notch 8.8 million track sales and 300 million on-demand audio streams.

He formed Soundgarden in 1984 with Hiro Yamamoto, a bandmate from his old group, the Shemps. The new group would later recruit bassist Kim Thayil and drummer Matt Cameron.

The band melded 1970s hard rock and heavy metal with alternative, paving the way for better-known bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Soundgarden became the first grunge act to sign a major-label record deal after releasing their earliest tracks on Sub Pop, the nascent indie record label that would also come to be known as the home of the "Seattle sound," and SST, a label owned by Black Flagg leader Greg Ginn.

They jumped to A&M records for their sophomore effort, 1989's Louder Than Love, for which Cornell earned raves for his voice and slams for his first major lyric-writing effort, which Rolling Stone critic J. D. Considine knocked as "clichéd" and "generally incomprehensible." But thanks to singles Hands All Over and Big Dumb Sex, Louder Than Love cracked the Billboard 200 album chart, a first for Soundgarden.

The following year, Cornell formed the first of his two supergroups: Temple of the Dog, a collaboration with Cameron and the surviving band members from Mother Love Bone, which had been fronted by Cornell's friend and roommate Andrew Wood until he died of a heroin overdose on March 19, 1990. Those bandmates — Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard and Mike McCready, would go on to form the basis of future Rock Hall of Famers Pearl Jam, along with Temple guest vocalist Eddie Vedder.

Temple of the Dog reunited for a tour in 2016 to mark the 25th anniversary of their album, which yielded the hit Hunger Strike.

Soungarden's well-timed third record, Badmotorfinger, arrived in October 1991, just a few weeks after Nirvana's Nevermind, and the band found radio and MTV much more receptive this time around. The double-platinum Badmotorfinger yielded the singles Outshined and Rusty Cage, earned them the opening slot on Guns N' Roses tour and their first Grammy nomination for best metal performance.

The band's place in the grunge canon was recognized with a couple of cameos in Cameron Crowe's 1992 film Singles, his romantic comedy about 20-somethings in Seattle. Cornell was also part of the soundtrack, contributing the solo acoustic track Seasons.

They would finally earn mainstream success and Grammys with their fourth album, 1994's Superunknown, which sold 3.9 million copies, thanks to more accessible hits like Spoon Man, Black Hole Sun and a pair of ballads that dealt with suicide and depression, The Day I Tried to Live and Fell on Black Days.

Like many of his hard-rock contemporaries including Dave Grohl and the members of Metallica, Cornell headed for the hair salon in the mid-1990s and rid himself of the long hair that was as much a part of the fading grunge era as flannel shirts.

Soundgarden parted ways in 1997 but Cornell didn't stay solo for long, forming his second supergroup, Audioslave with Rage Against the Machine alumni Tom Morello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford. They put out three albums together over six years and enjoyed hits such as Like a Stone and Cochise before disbanding in 2007. They even played a concert in Cuba, which few other acts have done.
Looking California, feeling Minnesota

Like many of his contemporaries, Cornell struggled with drug abuse, especially after the demise of Soundgarden, who had espoused the drug, alcohol and tobacco-free Straight Edge lifestyle. In a 2009 interview with The Guardian, he joked that he'd been a "pioneer" in oxycontin abuse.

He entered rehab in 2002, separating from his first wife, Helen Silver, and forcing Audioslave to back out of its first tour. By all accounts, he had managed to remain sober for the rest of his life.

Cornell told The Guardian that his 2004 divorce from Silver, manager and the mother of his first child, was so bitter that it took four years to regain custody of his guitars.

He shed light on that period of his life in an interview with KSHE-FM, explaining, "I really had to come to the conclusion, the sort of humbling conclusion that, guess what, I'm no different than anybody else, I've got to sort of ask for help — not something I ever did, ever. And then part two of that is, like, accept it when it comes and, you know, believe what people tell me. And trusting in what I have been told, and then seeing that work.”

Cornell also put out four solo studio records and a live record and went viral with a cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U.
'School is back in session'

In January 2010, Cornell announced via Twitter that Soundgarden had reunited. Two years later, the reconstituted band contributed a song and video, Live to Rise, to the first Avengers movie and released their sixth studio album, King Animal. The video for one of its songs, By Crooked Steps, was directed by Dave Grohl and features the band, in their long-haired glory, rolling up to a club gig on Segways.

The biggest difference this time around? Sobriety. "There are no bottles of Jack Daniels around or beers. And we never talked about ... it's just not there," Cornell remarked in 2011.

Last summer, bandmates Cameron and Ben Shepherd, who replaced Thayil on bass, said they had written six songs for their next album but did not give a timetable for its release.

At the time of his death, he was splitting his time between California and Paris, the base for Karayiannis, his second wife, with whom he has a daughter and a son. In the Guardian interview, he mentioned he'd even been dabbling in the Paris restaurant scene.

“That’s probably the business I’d have ended up in if it wasn’t for music," said the singer, who worked in Seattle kitchens before becoming a rock star. "It’s good for me to be involved in different things.”

They have Hiro Yamamoto and Kim Thayil mixed up. This tribute piece must not have been written in advance.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hockey Gay wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

MSN wrote:

Christ, that is sad.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:52 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Douchebag wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Was going to say somebody better do a wellness check on Vedder

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm 

mcbrides wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Was going to say somebody better do a wellness check on Vedder

My post should be re-worded to say, "I wish Vedder had died first".

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

By an undocumented Muslim from Mexico.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chus wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Source?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Chus wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Source?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Wrong again.

PittMike taking a parting shot...

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm 

Chus wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Chus wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Source?

:lol: both of you

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
badrogue17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Yep. Cops staged it .

Nope, Courtney Love

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

Yep. Cops staged it .

Nope, Courtney Love

I don't think Courtney Love did it, but I would bet that she will claim to have done it, only to tearfully retract the statement later.

Hadn't realized that Soundgarden kept making videos. I pretty much stopped watching videos when I turned 25 in 1995.....

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Ativan

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... nt-w483179

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am 

GoldenJet wrote:

That shit is potent. My urologist prescribed one for me to take two hours before getting snipped. I have never been so high in my life.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbs-l5jYzxQ

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

My fifth wife Barbara was murdered

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 pm 

newper wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
He was murdered

My fifth wife Barbara was murdered

Cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next