It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Preakness
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Do you really want to be putting money on Always Dreaming at 1-1 or an exacta on A.D. and Classic Empire at 4 or 5-1?

If Classic Empire is 5/1, I'll mortgage my house.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:55 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
well here's my pick 6

Race 8
Mo Maverick
9 AP Indian/ Whitmore
10th Elysea's World
11th Hedge Fund
12th Ring Weekend/World Approval/Projected
13th Always Dreaming/Classic Empire

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
How do you guys calculate your trifecta box value/payout? I do not mean the cost for your bet. How do you balance your bet with a guess on what the payout would be.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
How do you guys calculate your trifecta box value/payout? I do not mean the cost for your bet. How do you balance your bet with a guess on what the payout would be.

It can be tough to estimate the "will pays" on a trifecta. In a race like this the pool will be so big and with enough dumb money that the value will likely be there with the chalk tri.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

It can be tough to estimate the "will pays" on a trifecta. In a race like this the pool will be so big and with enough dumb money that the value will likely be there with the chalk tri.

Yeah my horse for the 12/1 is Cloud Computing but I am just a dope. So in addition to a win bet I thought I would box him with Always/Classic.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah my horse for the 12/1 is Cloud Computing but I am just a dope. So in addition to a win bet I thought I would box him with Always/Classic.

I would think that even if it comes back AD-CE-CC it's going to pay well over $100. If this weren't the Preakness and instead was just a 50 claimer on a Thursday afternoon at Hawthorne, horses with those chances lining up probably pays about 50 bucks. If Cloud Computing somehow wins, you'll get fat.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:14 am 

Cool.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Are the OTB's helping or hurting themselves demanding a $30-$40 cover just to get in the door for these Triple Crown Races?

Aren't they just handicapping potential lucrative in-house traffic, when they're making everyone who doesn't pay for a reservation stand outside for 30-45 mins to place a bet? (And then you have to hear some dope working for the OTB saying wrongly that Girvin's been scratched and Patch's odds have dropped to 12-1, as if we're all supposed to jump on Patch.)

It kind of pisses me off. It's supposed to be a free country.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Dignified Rube wrote:
Are the OTB's helping or hurting themselves demanding a $30-$40 cover just to get in the door for these Triple Crown Races?

Aren't they just handicapping potential lucrative in-house traffic, when they're making everyone who doesn't pay for a reservation stand outside for 30-45 mins to place a bet? (And then you have to hear some dope working for the OTB saying wrongly that Girvin's been scratched and Patch's odds have dropped to 12-1, as if we're all supposed to jump on Patch.)

What OTB does that? I've never paid a cover at an OTB in my life. Sometimes they try to get a buck for the Cook County tax from you. I'm sure Arlington charges a fat fee to enter the track. I wouldn't pay that either. But Arlington probably has the lowest per cap in the business. I guess they have to make their money somehow.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Dignified Rube wrote:

https://www.twinspires.com/

No wait pantsless wagering. Free PPs.

Broadcast trackfeed video to the tv via chromecast (which I prefer over the TVG cable channels). In the back yard on nice days.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

What OTB does that? I've never paid a cover at an OTB in my life. Sometimes they try to get a buck for the Cook County tax from you. I'm sure Arlington charges a fat fee to enter the track. I wouldn't pay that either. But Arlington probably has the lowest per cap in the business. I guess they have to make their money somehow.

Oakrook OTB. I tried to talk my way in for the Derby and was turned away. The inside windows had almost no traffic. Outside there is a tent with only three agents having to serve a line of a couple hundred people. What a ClusterF***.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am 

Rube what are you talking about? Hawthorne only charges $2 to get in (I think free if its before 10am or after 8 or 9pm), as well as the OTB on 111th/Doty.

And JORR is right, the OTB on top of Ditka's by Arlington was free the times I would go last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am 

a genius wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Broadcast trackfeed video to the tv via chromecast (which I prefer over the TVG cable channels). In the back yard on nice days.

I have an online account. But if Twinspires and ExpressBet are anything like online trading companies, they make you wait two weeks before you can withdraw, while they earn interest on your money. There's no reason for them to keep your money after your deposit has cleared.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 am 

spmack wrote:
Rube what are you talking about? Hawthorne only charges $2 to get in (I think free if its before 10am or after 8 or 9pm), as well as the OTB on 111th/Doty.

And JORR is right, the OTB on top of Ditka's by Arlington was free the times I would go last year.

Oakbrook OTB was not free this year. I was there at 11:00 a.m. Derby Day and had to wait in line, because I didn't have a reservation. It's true.

In years past, I have gone in on Friday night to place my bets for Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

It's wasn't a cover, but a package deal where you get food and drinks for $30 and access to the indoor windows.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am 

Rube if you're in that area just go to Crazypour on North. Villa Park i think it is. No cover at all, and i am also surprised any OTB would charge anything to get in the door. They take plenty of money from wagers.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:34 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
a genius wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I have an online account. But if Twinspires and ExpressBet are anything like online trading companies, they make you wait two weeks before you can withdraw, while they earn interest on your money. There's no reason for them to keep your money after your deposit has cleared.

no.

Quote:
Is there a delay in transferring funds to or from my EZmoney account?
Your EZmoney transactions may take three to five calendar days to complete the banking process.
Transactions are generated electronically in a batch process. Funds requested on the weekend will be processed by our bank on Monday. In most cases you will not see any noticeable delay in the transfer process. At times of peak volume during heavy race schedules there may be a slight delay in the processing of EZmoney transactions.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am 

W_Z wrote:
Rube if you're in that area just go to Crazypour on North. Villa Park i think it is. No cover at all, and i am also surprised any OTB would charge anything to get in the door. They take plenty of money from wagers.

Cool. Thank you. Will have to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am 

I was going to say that out here the only time you get something like that is for the big ones. Big parties , music and food for Derby so pay to get in. You do not pay to wander up to the window though.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am 

Like JORR said, the cover charge in Cook County is more of a county tax thing. They also charge $2 at Joes on Weed in the city.

But every OTB outside of Cook County (including the old SHARK's in Glendale Heights) doesn't charge anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm 

New York Post is picking the chalks one-two-three, but has Classic Empire winning.

If it makes you feel good, JORR, Cangialosi has Multiplier finishing seventh. :roll: Not too worried, he picked Always Dreaming 8th in the Derby, though he was right about Looking at Lee.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/18/preakness- ... winner-is/

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm 

ah off track again tri Always Dreming,Classic Empire, and Lookin at Lee $10 Stoned Cold

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:58 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
well here's my pick 6

Race 8
Mo Maverick
9 AP Indian/ Whitmore
10th Elysea's World
11th Hedge Fund

that didn't last long. :cry: i had a few bucks on Mo to win and Adonis to WPS. creed really bottomed out at the end.

i hope one of these hits...

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pm 

5 Win
4, 5, 6 exacta box

Good luck to all.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:02 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
well here's my pick 6

Race 8
Mo Maverick
9 AP Indian/ Whitmore
10th Elysea's World
11th Hedge Fund

that didn't last long. :cry: i had a few bucks on Mo to win and Adonis to WPS. creed really bottomed out at the end.

i hope one of these hits...

:(

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:54 pm 

Wow what a finish!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm 

this game ain't for the feint of heart

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:11 pm 

8)

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:19 pm 

Hope you hit that Exacta and Tri about 20 times Mike. Good call.