It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
If you ever look to unload that Pro Platinum, let me know.

(that's what she said)

I'd be interested. I bought it because it reminded me very much of the old Ping Zing putter which I always wanted but never
got when I was a kid. The Pro Platinum currently has a Super Stroke 2.0 grip on it. Not sure if I have the original putter cover
for it but I could give you the putter cover for the other Scotty if you wanted it. Rather have it out being played than collecting
dust in my basement. Let me know if you want me to send you some pics of it via text. I let my dad use it for a summer and
he didn't use a head cover with it so the top line is a little banged up. If it was anyone other than my dad I probably would have
given them a hard time for treating it so poorly. PM me you phone number and I could text you pics by this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had another lesson yesterday after making some amazing improvements since the previous lesson. Pro had me start out with a 7 iron, picked out a distance pole as target and had me try to hit it. First shot, perfect draw hits the pole. Second shot, within 5 feet of pole. 3rd shot, might've hit the pole or just gone over it. Turn back and look at the pro and he just shrugs and says I don't know what to tell you, that will be $60.

Irons really looking good, driver much improved but not perfect. I'm doing a great job getting the club face square at impact, but my issue is still that at the start fo the downswing, my head comes forward and I make a slight dive at the ball which throws everything off and gets me over the top and also leads to my tendency to miss fat. The resulting slices aren't as pronounced as before since the clubface is straight, but maintaining balance and not diving at the ball is the big thing he has me working on now.

He also totally changed my ball position on hybrids. I've been playing them off the front foot like a driver, he now has me playing an inch ahead of center.

Looking forward to getting out there today for golf league and getting some work in.

One week till first trip to Lawsonia. I'm signed up for the members scramble on Memorial Day. They have a unique way of stopping cheating, the team that comes in first has to pay for the buffet breakfast for everyone else in the field.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
shakes wrote:
He also totally changed my ball position on hybrids. I've been playing them off the front foot like a driver, he now has me playing an inch ahead of center.

Until last year, I could never hit a hybrid. Once I moved the ball closer to center, I started hitting it pretty well.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:05 am 

golf league last night in sustained 30mph wind, that was fun. Greens at Sportsman are ridiculously firm. Fun to putt on, but they aren't holding any shots. Had 4 great shots roll through the green.

Still working on the new swing, was hoping to get a bunch of golf in this weekend but weather looks spotty.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
shakes wrote:
was hoping to get a bunch of golf in this weekend but weather looks spotty.
Yup. There have been several shit weather weekends over the last couple months. I have a 5:30am tee time at a Forest Preserve course on Saturday. Mighty early, but its looking like anything after 8am might be a washout.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 pm 

Scramble tournament a month ago was cancelled due to weather, rescheduled to this Saturday. Not looking too great but my guess is they are going to try to get it in
this time. Plan to play Sunday morning as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:

Until last year, I could never hit a hybrid. Once I moved the ball closer to center, I started hitting it pretty well.

Indeed, hybrids should be hit like irons and not woods.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

Just got an email from Pine Meadow that they were putting all their Mizuno stock on sale including a set of JPX 900 Forged irons with regular steel shafts which is exactly the set I want. They are selling them for $529 which is insane because they retail everywhere for $1200!

Grabbed the phone and called them up to buy them sight unseen and apparently someone beat me to the punch cause they were already sold. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes wrote:
Had another lesson yesterday after making some amazing improvements since the previous lesson. Pro had me start out with a 7 iron, picked out a distance pole as target and had me try to hit it. First shot, perfect draw hits the pole. Second shot, within 5 feet of pole. 3rd shot, might've hit the pole or just gone over it. Turn back and look at the pro and he just shrugs and says I don't know what to tell you, that will be $60.

Irons really looking good, driver much improved but not perfect.

shakes wrote:
Just got an email from Pine Meadow that they were putting all their Mizuno stock on sale including a set of JPX 900 Forged irons with regular steel shafts which is exactly the set I want. They are selling them for $529 which is insane because they retail everywhere for $1200!

Grabbed the phone and called them up to buy them sight unseen and apparently someone beat me to the punch cause they were already sold. :(

You have your irons dialed in and you decide to buy new irons? Maybe your golf pro overheard the conversation and told the guy on the phone to tell you the irons were "sold."

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
shakes wrote:

Irons really looking good, driver much improved but not perfect.

shakes wrote:

You have your irons dialed in and you decide to buy new irons? Maybe your golf pro overheard the conversation and told the guy on the phone to tell you the irons were "sold."

They're the new and improved version of the irons I have so definitely want them, but hard to justify spending $1200 for them since mine are only 2 years old and still great. But, at $530 that was a no brainer.

Also, Pine Meadow is not the course where I have lessons.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 am 

I got that same e-mail shakes, sorry that it didn't work out for you to get them. If you wanted to turn around and sell your
current items you would probably have been able to do well on them. I am not that surprised that they had a little too much
Mizuno stuff on hand. I can't really speak to their wedges and woods. My buddy I play with the most has the woods and he
seems to like them. They are a really cool blue color but I have never hit them. The wedge market is a tough one and other
than the staff players on tour you don't see guys going out of their way to get their branded wedges in the bag. They definitely
make a high quality set of irons up and down the line and that would have been a heck of a deal for you, although did you know
if they had the right shafts on them for you? One thing I really thought was cool when I was fitted and put together my Mizunos
from last winter was that I got to pick out the exact shaft and grip that I wanted and I am sure other companies are making these
to order the same way. So much nicer than just buying off the rack with a simple stiff or regular flex shaft.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I got that same e-mail shakes, sorry that it didn't work out for you to get them. If you wanted to turn around and sell your
current items you would probably have been able to do well on them. I am not that surprised that they had a little too much
Mizuno stuff on hand. I can't really speak to their wedges and woods. My buddy I play with the most has the woods and he
seems to like them. They are a really cool blue color but I have never hit them. The wedge market is a tough one and other
than the staff players on tour you don't see guys going out of their way to get their branded wedges in the bag. They definitely
make a high quality set of irons up and down the line and that would have been a heck of a deal for you, although did you know
if they had the right shafts on them for you? One thing I really thought was cool when I was fitted and put together my Mizunos
from last winter was that I got to pick out the exact shaft and grip that I wanted and I am sure other companies are making these
to order the same way. So much nicer than just buying off the rack with a simple stiff or regular flex shaft.

My golf pro buddy fitted me at Club Champion for my current mizuno irons. Tried a bunch of shafts and in the end the factory issue regular flex was the best one for me which made buying the clubs very easy(his mizuno rep let me buy one that "fell off the truck" for $500). The ones at Pine Meadow had the regular flex shaft so I would assume they would feel similar to my current irons.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:13 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Can you list what putters you currently own?

I have two Taylormade JDM putters that I picked up on rakuten.com. The built quality is superior to the domestic TM retail putters. Even the white paint is less resistant to flaking compared to the domestic Ghost putters. Both are 34", although one my gamer is closer to 34.25".

One is a mid-mallet and my gamer is a mallet. Never saw myself as playing anything but a flow-neck milled blade putter like yours, but the results speak for themselves. I am too focused on squaring the club with a blade. With mallets or mid-mallets I just swing the club. Center-shafted putters work best for me due to left-eye dominance and the lack of offset.

The Pure Roll insert has tremendous feel and I have better distance control than with milled faces.

Both putters have weight inserts. The Fontana is at 360g now - perfect for super-fast greens. The Stingray has the shaft slightly behind the leading edge and suits my eye perfectly.

My gamer - TaylorMade Ghost Tour Stingray

My backup - TaylorMade Ghost Tour Fontana

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

112 this morning. Brutal.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 pm 

shakes wrote:
My golf pro buddy fitted me at Club Champion for my current mizuno irons. Tried a bunch of shafts and in the end the factory issue regular flex was the best one for me which made buying the clubs very easy(his mizuno rep let me buy one that "fell off the truck" for $500). The ones at Pine Meadow had the regular flex shaft so I would assume they would feel similar to my current irons.

Big mistake. Shaft flex is less important than length, weight and bend profile when it comes to shaft characteristics. Mizuno is now offering no-charge options, so there are a lot more "regular flex" irons out there that may perform differently than what you have now. Off the top of my head they have Dynamic Gold XP in different weights, Project X, Rifle and maybe Nippon.

Try to at least find the same shaft specs.

Go to eBay and check new listings. You can see all the shaft options and build a set for less than $800 out the door.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Are you visiting bigfan in AZ?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Anyone interested in playing tomorrow?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks to Furious for coming out to Lemont to hit up Ruffled Feathers this afternoon.

Was an up-and-down round for both of us. Furious putted the best I've seen someone putt this year, but we both struggled with our approach shots. I ended up with another 88 on a course that isn't super difficult, save for a couple holes.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Also, for those of you interested, you'll love the Puffingtons Golf products:

https://www.puffingtonsgolf.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 am 

Starting to figure things out a bit. Shot 44-36 for an 80. Missed a 3 footer on 18 for a 35 on the back. Eagled a par 5 with a nice 10 foot
putt after an excellent approach. Trouble chipping and putting, missed another 5 foot birdie putt and didn't even hit the hole, lipped out
a couple other shorties. I'll be taking out my backup and bringing both to a putting green this week and see who wins.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Furious Styles wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Are you visiting bigfan in AZ?
SHANKS JUST FINE?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 am 

Got out yesterday with the wife, didn't realize it was 10 degrees warmer in the city than in the suburbs. Left after 9 holes at Deerfield cause it was too cold. But, it was nice to get some swings in. The new swing is coming along nicely, still have a tendency to dive in and hit fat shots way more than I'd like, but very happy with the progress. Shot a 43, pretty meh for that place, but the front is a lot trickier than the back so might've improved on that had we stayed.

This week looks like shit, was hoping to get another round in before my first trip to Lawsonia this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:57 am 

Not happy with the driver, so the search continues.

I just want point and shoot. Might reshaft the old head.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

I read si.com at lunch and they had this little nugget in there....

Memorial Day signals the start of summer, and that also means the start of the perfect golfing weather. Our favorite golf gear retailers are celebrating MDW with huge sales. Shop Ashworth golf using the code SAVE40 for an additional 40% off sitewide, plus free shipping. Go to adidas golf for an extra 25% off sale items plus additional 20% Off and free shipping with code ADIDAS20. Or shop TaylorMade using the code PUTT30OFF for an additional $30 off OS Putters and free shipping.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
Not happy with the driver, so the search continues.

I just want point and shoot. Might reshaft the old head.

as obsessed as you are with the technical side of golf equipment, giving you a driver where you can make a multitude of minuscule changes to the set up is probably not a wise move.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm 

It's really the length of the shaft and the lack of forgiveness of the head. I thought it would play similar to my old driver.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
If anyone is interested in attending a golf event during the next week, check out the NCAA Championships (Men & Women) at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, IL. Real nice course to walk. Women's tournament is currently on the Golf Channel.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
If anyone is interested in attending a golf event during the next week, check out the NCAA Championships (Men & Women) at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, IL. Real nice course to walk. Women's tournament is currently on the Golf Channel.

not gonna go cause attending golf events is awful, but definitely gonna watch. Great event year after year, both mens and womens.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
shakes wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

not gonna go cause attending golf events is awful, but definitely gonna watch. Great event year after year, both mens and womens.

The weather isn't exactly cooperating, but the course is holding up great. I know for a fact the teams aren't really happy with the weather and the difficulty of the course.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:17 pm 

20% off sporting goods on eBay through 5/29 with code. Says once per Paypal account, some folks at GolfWRX have used it more than once.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 26  Next