It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NHL Playoffs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I love that it was Subban getting outworked on Hagelin's empty-netter. Go cry about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
This was really racist of the Penguins not to let Subban win the Cup.

It just feels like he should be MVP.

If he doesn't there's something else goin' on here .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
:lol:

Man the hatred is breathtaking.

I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I guess Hornquist winnng it for the after being traded to Pitt for Neal is a story?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Watching Bettman get booed every year never gets old.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:08 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I love that it was Subban getting outworked on Hagelin's empty-netter. Go cry about it.

How many hospitals have you built, shitbag?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
They couldn't have saved even just one friggin' fish to whip at Gary???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm 

Chus wrote:

Worst commish in sports in a landslide and that's saying a lot .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I hope Kurt Eichenwald isn't watching. Lemieux's jacket might give him a seizure.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:11 pm 

Chus wrote:
I hope Kurt Eichenwald isn't watching.

He's watching youth league with Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:13 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Chus wrote:

Worst commish in sports in a landslide and that's saying a lot .

Strongly disagree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
In keeping with the semi-morbid tradition of sending all the pre-printed 'Nashville Cup Winners 2017' clothing to some backwards third-world country, why not just save the shipping cost and just hand them out all over Tennessee?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

How many hospitals have you built, shitbag?

somewhere I saw an argument like
"P (clap) K (clap) SUBBAN (clap) BUILT (clap) A (clap) CHILDREN'S (clap) HOSPITAL (clap) WITH (clap) HIS (clap) OWN (clap) MONEY!"
"No he didn't, his charitable foundation did, which he contributes to but which also gets money from other donors."
"SHUT UP SHITLORD"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
In keeping with the semi-morbid tradition of sending all the pre-printed 'Nashville Cup Winners 2017' clothing to some backwards third-world country, why not just save the shipping cost and just hand them out all over Tennessee?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

I LIKE IT
I LOVE IT
I WANT SOME MORE OF IT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
There wasn't 1 clip of the Blackhawks in CBC's season ending montage. Very fitting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Don Tiny wrote:

I can think of a good use of a bunch of shirts that say predators on them. The state should require the annual photo be in one of the shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 am 

Poor PK. They silenced him!!

NASHVILLE—So Brad Hunt is sitting there, next to P.K. Subban’s empty locker, looking at a ring of reporters waiting for a player who won’t come. Hunt is an extra for the Nashville Predators, and he’s been sitting next to P.K. since January, more or less. He’s cheerful.

“It’s good to have,” he says, looking at the empty semi-circle. “It means you went far in the playoffs. It’s fun. It’s cool to have.” Someone asks if he has met a bigger personality in hockey than Subban.

“I don’t think so,” says Hunt. “But it’s good. He brings the energy up all the time. He keeps everything exciting.”

This isn’t really a story about the media. On the morning of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final, in which the Pittsburgh Penguins had a chance to win a second straight Stanley Cup, Nashville’s P.K. Subban skated. The NHL’s media rules say if a player skates, he must be made available. Reporters like talking to P.K. because he is one of the few hockey players who tries to entertain, who is not afraid to show his personality. Besides, Subban had not spoken since after Game 5, two days earlier. So, a ring of us waited for him. Standard issue.

Subban walked into the crowded dressing room and started towards the ring of media at his locker, and was heard to ask team PR director Kevin Wilson, “Do you want me to talk today?” Wilson directed Subban back out of the room for a moment, and then Subban walked through the room and didn’t stop.

Article Continued Below

The team’s explanation: Gosh, they had meant to make Subban available on Saturday, but dagnabbit, he slipped away before they could. And he had not spoken on the morning of a game all playoffs, so their hands were tied, see? Some falsehoods are barely worth telling, but there you are.

Again, this only seems like a media story. You would think a sport would want its biggest and most marketable stars to be front and centre at its showcase event, but hey, none of Pittsburgh’s best players have spoken on the morning of games all playoffs long. Putting your stars in front of cameras is, or should be, sports marketing 101.

But the NHL’s media approach pales next to that of pretty much every other major league in its championship round. The day after the Cleveland Cavaliers lost Game 3, LeBron James sat at a podium and gave insightful answers about several issues. He speaks on game days, too, except when it’s an early west coast tip time, with no shootaround. It’s not that hard. This? This was absurd.

In fairness, NHL officials tried to lobby for Subban to talk, to no avail. The Predators organization, before the biggest game in franchise history, muzzled one of its best players. Subban loves cameras. The team — and you could guess this came from above the PR director level — said no.

So really, this is a story about P.K. At the end of Game 3 he sought out Sidney Crosby and cursed him out, then made up the gag about Crosby accusing Subban of bad breath. Crosby was annoyed. Subban kept hammering the storyline: bringing Listerine to the rink, and even sending out a sponsored tweet about the mouthwash. He really can’t help himself.

And then Crosby was great in Game 4, and a monster in Game 5, and the team shut Subban up. There are strong whispers that his teammates weren’t happy with his behaviour, which might help explain it. Would Crosby have been great if Subban hadn’t poked the bear? Quite possible: he’s Sidney Crosby. But clearly, the team wasn’t happy.

Which is so, so hockey. Subban has been great in these playoffs, but the Montreal Canadiens traded him because he drives people nuts. The trade has been a dominant storyline all season, and it seems clear that Nashville won.

But yes, living with Subban for a year would probably be exhausting, and sometimes enervating. Off the ice, he is all about P.K. In the NBA he could be absorbed into a team’s culture. But especially in hockey’s stultifying, suppressive environment, Subban stands out like a klieg light in a cave.

Before the Stanley Cup final began, Predators general manager David Poile was asked about trading for Subban. Here’s what he said.

“We obviously heard a lot about things that happened in Montreal, some good, maybe some not so good,” said Poile. “The first meeting we had, like, ‘What are your goals?’ He said, ‘To win the Stanley Cup.’ I said, ‘That’s what our goals are, too.’

“If we can get that straightened away in terms of your desires to be the best hockey player you can be, and we can both work towards winning the Stanley Cup together, we’ve got mostly everything covered ... I think the most important thing is that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing so there’s no surprising and, to repeat again, we can support you.

“I don’t want to say it was as simple as that, but I think it was as simple as that ... I think from day one we’ve been on the same page with P.K. as to his off-ice ventures. I don’t think there’s been any missteps. I don’t think there’s been any misunderstandings. That’s why I think it’s been a good fit for both of us.”

And then on the morning of the biggest game of the season, we all stared at an empty locker. P.K. is interesting; P.K. is exciting. But P.K. was P.K., and it was too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ok someone explain to me how PK is bad or not liked by his teammates? Because he came out and said they would win a game? It's not like Nashville and Montreal get a lot of local coverage where I can see the day to day happenings of those teams. Hell, when the Blackhawks were having locker room issues, it was tough to get any substantive info.

I enjoyed all of the pregame PK interviews with the between the glass reporter. He seemed like a straight shooter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 am 

denisdman wrote:
Ok someone explain to me how PK is bad or not liked by his teammates? Because he came out and said they would win a game? It's not like Nashville and Montreal get a lot of local coverage where I can see the day to day happenings of those teams. Hell, when the Blackhawks were having locker room issues, it was tough to get any substantive info.

Subban basically acts like a normal person instead of being a robot like Toews, Crosby, or most players who come up through Canada's development system, which is obsessed with winning at all costs. The culture of hockey rewards a lack of individuality because the game of hockey does so as well: it rewards the willingness of every player to defer to teammates and to buy into coaching, whether that's running a trap or a cycle or short shifts or whatever. Sometimes teammates and coaches don't like guys who don't absorb blame, follow instructions, or promote themselves too much. We appreciate honesty and passion as fans, but if we were the people getting shown up all the time, we may not feel the same way.

If you take away the charming interviews, the racial implications, and the PK Subban Memorial Children's Hospital Of Great And Everlasting Glory, leaving behind a guy who freelances it on the ice, blames other people when something goes wrong, and then whines to refs and beat writers about everything, you'd be left with Mike Smith, and everyone hates Mike Smith.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
http://faxesfromuncledale.com/rememberi ... predators/

Ah, but you were born in so many other ways this spring. Look at you, muzzling the NHL’s most galvanizing personality for the last two games of the Final. Just like the big boys! We look forward to you spending the summer poisoning the water around PK Subban with rumors of his teammates not liking him and fights with Peter Laviolette, before the big Subban-Muzzin trade of 2018. Don’t you love being a REAL team now? Soon you can employ a policy of only hiring coaches and GMs that speak “honkey-tonk” or “talk pretty.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8