PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ranked Baseball America #85 prospect after the 2016 season, FWIW

Post subject: Re: Frazier to Red Sox
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yay?

Im assuming the Yankees are picking up MANY of Robertson's remaining dollars.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
so are we already giving up on Tim Anderson?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yay?

Im assuming the Yankees are picking up MANY of Robertson's remaining dollars.

I would guess all of it if only 1 guy is coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 pm 

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/7/ ... in-trenton

Jorge Mateo is swinging a hot bat for the Trenton Thunder.

Once the New York Yankees top prospect, a down 2016 and influx of newly acquired minor league talent saw Mateo drop just a tad down the charts. Mateo, blessed with natural talent, is once again showing his top prospect form in Trenton.

Sure, the sample is small, but it was enough to come out with a bang. Mateo was promoted from Tampa to Trenton on June 27, and six games later he is the Eastern League Player of the Week.

Let’s take a step back, and have a Jorge Mateo 101 refresher course, shall we?

Mateo was signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2012 and almost immediately became the Yankees top prospect. He paired a natural athleticism with 80-grade speed and was simply the most exciting player to watch on the pipeline.

He absolutely tore up the South Atlantic League in his 2015 debut, and that’s when he skyrocketed up the minor league prospect charts. He slashed .268/.338/.378 with 18 doubles, eight triples, two home runs and a league best 71 stolen bases.

But then 2016 happened. Mateo seemingly took a step back in his first full season in Tampa. He posted a full-season career-worst 21.3 percent strikeout rate and saw both his batting average and on-base percentage dip. He was also suspended for two weeks due to insubordination with the coaching staff.

Suddenly, questions of his maturity arose as Gleyber Torres was thriving and suddenly Mateo was no longer the diamond of the Yankees Universe eyes. Was he still the shortstop of the future? Second baseman? Centerfielder? Or did he even become the dreaded trade bait?

That’s a lot for a youngster to handle, no matter how much the outsider says, ‘that’s what he gets pad for.’ Whatever the case was, whether he was pushing or mentally taken out of the game, Mateo fell. But his athleticism and skill were too much to simply overlook. With Torres and Clint Frazier coming over at the deadline, and Blake Rutherford coming via the draft, John Sickels ranked Mateo as the fourth-best Yankees prospect in the system.

...hit .254/.306/.379 with eight homers, 36 steals, 33 walks, 108 strikeouts in 464 at-bats in High-A; outstanding 80-grade speed is best tool; can also flash power but strike zone judgment is erratic, as is his defense; made summer headlines for wrong reasons due to two-week suspension for insubordinate behavior towards team officials; young enough to overcome makeup concerns; not a bad infielder but may wind up in outfield or in super-utility role; ETA. 2019
Enter 2017. Now, Mateo’s start in Tampa didn’t necessarily lead to his promotion. Torres is out for the year. Names like Miguel Andujar jumped to Triple-A, while Dustin Fowler jumped to the big leagues. Mateo’s natural progression was upward, and the 22-year-old has delivered.

He has only not registered a hit in one game since he arrived in Trenton. That game? He walked four times. Heading into Monday’s action, he was 12-for-23 with five walks and seven strikeouts. His first Double-A home run was in grand fashion, registering four of his ten RBI.

Watching Mateo at the plate both Saturday and Sunday, you can tell that the strikeout rate comes from an aggressive approach. Mateo wants to hit, and when he is grooving, he attacks early in the count. This is good when he is on a hot streak, but obviously raises a bit of concern when he is not. Someone with his speed profile wants to get on base often.

Matt Kardos of Pinstriped Prospects noticed the same thing. “He is generally an aggressive player, and is trying to push the envelope,” he said.

He has a lot of noise pre-pitch. He seemingly doesn’t stop moving, bouncing back and forth at the knees with a wiggle in his hands, held helmet high. His bat explodes through the zone, and it is easy to see there is power behind that swing. If he can harness that raw power and learn some patience with the strike zone, the Yankees are looking at a .280 hitter that can bomb 15 home runs and steal upwards of 60 bases.

How about a breakdown of his at bats Saturday night?

1st AB: Mateo took a strike, and then went opposite field slapping a single though the hole. Guess what? He stole second base by a large margin. It was pretty impressive since the ball was outside and the FisherCats Danny Jansen had a good start on the throw. Jansen made Mateo pay, however, throwing him out at third.

2nd AB: With bases loaded, Mateo wasted little time. He teed off on the first pitch and made perfect contact on that meaty part of the bat and pulled a bases-clearing RBI triple.

3rd AB: Sacrifice bunt. Laid it down the third base line, maybe a bit too far, and he was still one step away from being safe and loading the bases. Still, he got the job done.

4th AB: The shortstop was in, and Mateo pulled the first pitch right where the shortstop would have been. Smart hitting, got the RBI.

5th AB: Brace yourself. Mateo took a few pitches. To be fair, he came to the plate following back-to-back walks. He took a ball, then a strike, and then fouled one off before putting the ball through the left side in nearly the same exact spot as the previous pitch.

He went 4-for-4 on eight pitches. Not too shabby.

Mateo seems like he is in a better place. One can question his maturity for his actions last year, but sometimes a change of place is the right thing. He feels a lot of positive energy at Arm and Hammer according to Kardos, and he is clearly thriving off go it.

Defensively, Mateo can also improve, but he is so athletic with a rifle of an arm that he can stick at short if he cleans it up a bit. A future at second or the outfield isn’t out of the question, but as John hinted, perhaps versatility across several positions could be his ticket to New York.

Somehow, Mateo became somewhat of a forgotten man in the Yankees system. Now, because of the injury plague that has beseeched the Bronx, he has a chance to rise up the ladder quickly. Maybe Mateo is ready to put it all together, and if he is, it will be an exciting end to the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Bruce Levine breaks the story.

Hard to believe, you sure?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Kahnle--that's too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:52 pm 

312player wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Bruce Levine breaks the story.

Hard to believe, you sure?

I know, I couldn't believe it either.

Heyman and Rosenthal both gave him credit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm 

So I guess this means that Kris Bryant is the best third baseman in town? (Hawk whiffed on that one.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
formerlyknownas wrote:
Kahnle--that's too bad.

So are they selling high on this guy (assuming NYY cough up a good package)?

Seems like a keeper a trade him straight up??

From MLB Trade Rumors:

As for Kahnle, the 27-year-old was also once property of the Yankees, having risen through their minor league ranks before eventually making his big league debut in Colorado. The flamethrowing righty has long displayed a propensity for missing bats, but he’s taken that skill to new heights in 2017 while also dramatically slashing his walk rate. Through 36 innings in 2017, Kahnle has posted a ridiculous 15.0 K/9 rate to go along with a 41.1 percent grounder rate. The resulting 2.50 ERA looks impressive on its own, but metrics like FIP (1.47), xFIP (1.63) and SIERA (1.62) all feel that he may actually be unfortunate to be sporting an ERA even that high.

Further adding to Kahnle’s value is that he very much comes with long-term potential. If this proves to be a breakout rather than an aberration, he’d be controllable through the 2020 season via the arbitration process. Kahnle entered the year with just over two years of big league service time, so he’ll wrap up the 2017 campaign with three-plus years of service and be arbitration-eligible for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Rutherford apparently headed to the Sox. That's a big get, possibly top 25 prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Why would this mean the Sox are giving up on Andersen? Several teams are re-building with multiple shortstops.

Good to see they got some value back. Morning show on the score this morning made it sound like the Sox couldn't trade Frazier for a beaten-up Yugo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Rutherford is a prototype CF. Ian Clarkin also apparently in the deal. Still more to come.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
They should've gotten Judge back but I'll wait til everything is finalized to be disappointed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
That's a shitload of stolen bases.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
That's a shitload of stolen bases.

His first full season with the Sox he probably steals like 12 bases. They can't develop runners for shit.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Kahnle--that's too bad.

So are they selling high on this guy (assuming NYY cough up a good package)?

Seems like a keeper a trade him straight up??

From MLB Trade Rumors:

As for Kahnle, the 27-year-old was also once property of the Yankees, having risen through their minor league ranks before eventually making his big league debut in Colorado. The flamethrowing righty has long displayed a propensity for missing bats, but he’s taken that skill to new heights in 2017 while also dramatically slashing his walk rate. Through 36 innings in 2017, Kahnle has posted a ridiculous 15.0 K/9 rate to go along with a 41.1 percent grounder rate. The resulting 2.50 ERA looks impressive on its own, but metrics like FIP (1.47), xFIP (1.63) and SIERA (1.62) all feel that he may actually be unfortunate to be sporting an ERA even that high.

Further adding to Kahnle’s value is that he very much comes with long-term potential. If this proves to be a breakout rather than an aberration, he’d be controllable through the 2020 season via the arbitration process. Kahnle entered the year with just over two years of big league service time, so he’ll wrap up the 2017 campaign with three-plus years of service and be arbitration-eligible for the first time.

Kahnle would have been nice to have around....but I guess it is pointless now.

Chuck Garfien (@ChuckGarfien)
12 mins ago - View on Twitter
Saw this comp on Blake Rutherford, for what it's worth: "a more athletic version of David Justice."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
so are we already giving up on Tim Anderson?

Yes.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
formerlyknownas wrote:
So I guess this means that Kris Bryant is the best third baseman in town? (Hawk whiffed on that one.)

That was not Hawk's finest moment. :lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
formerlyknownas wrote:
Chuck Garfien (@ChuckGarfien)
12 mins ago - View on Twitter
Saw this comp on Blake Rutherford, for what it's worth: "a more athletic version of David Justice."

Well, that's pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Frazier was a victim of the hidden ball trick today.