It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm 

JLN,

As you may have gathered from our earlier encounters, I respect your intellect on a number of levels. Even though I really cannot help but disagree with your positions on the interpretation of the law, I recognize that your positions are consistent with those of a number of law professors, many of whom are ultimately as partisan as I can be in other political areas.

The power of the grade book afforded them safe haven when confronted on their often hypocritical positions and allowed them to shut down discourse. One of them happened to be one of the founders of the Federalist society, orhers in more social settings happened to be your favorite Justice and yet another was the then Solicitor General of the United States. The same arguments you're making against certain :wink: "activist" judges are somewhat similar to those they ham handedly made then, and for the same wink, nod political reasons you'd like to believe don't win the day in front of them.

They'd also argue specific language, until they couldn't, with their fallback always being "their" arrogant interpretation of original intent. Right up to the abomination and contradiction that is Citizens United. But I never heard the straight faced, full throated discussion of the constitutional power of the federal judiciary from them in the positions you've taken here

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
I disagree with a good deal of what JLN says, and I'm a big fan of Reader, but I can promise that just "being" a lawyer doesn't automatically mean that that individual is more knowledgeable than an amateur. Same goes for pretty much any profession. Reader happens to come off as a well-informed and thoughtful lawyer, but that's a different argument. I deal on a daily basis with lawyers who are braindead morons. I also talk to them IRL. :)

Get a brian moran! Us lawyers are reel smart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I disagree with a good deal of what JLN says, and I'm a big fan of Reader, but I can promise that just "being" a lawyer doesn't automatically mean that that individual is more knowledgeable than an amateur. Same goes for pretty much any profession. Reader happens to come off as a well-informed and thoughtful lawyer, but that's a different argument. I deal on a daily basis with lawyers who are braindead morons. I also talk to them IRL. :)

We have an entire 390+ page thread on this board dedicated to the concept that a person can be both a lawyer and a brain dead moron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

We have an entire 390+ page thread on this board dedicated to the concept that a person can be both a lawyer and a brain dead moron

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/17/jeff-sessions-wants-police-to-take-more-cash-from-american-citizens/?utm_term=.7aee9000cef2

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said he'd be issuing a new directive this week aimed at increasing police seizures of cash and property.

“We hope to issue this week a new directive on asset forfeiture — especially for drug traffickers,” Sessions said in his prepared remarks for a speech to the National District Attorney's Association in Minneapolis. "With care and professionalism, we plan to develop policies to increase forfeitures. No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime. Adoptive forfeitures are appropriate as is sharing with our partners."

Asset forfeiture is a disputed practice that allows law enforcement officials to permanently take money and goods from individuals suspected of crime. There is little disagreement among lawmakers, authorities and criminal justice reformers that “no criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime.” But in many cases, neither a criminal conviction nor even a criminal charge is necessary — under forfeiture laws in most states and at the federal level, mere suspicion of wrongdoing is enough to allow police to seize items permanently.

This guy :lol: :cry: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/17/jeff-sessions-wants-police-to-take-more-cash-from-american-citizens/?utm_term=.7aee9000cef2

Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said he'd be issuing a new directive this week aimed at increasing police seizures of cash and property.

“We hope to issue this week a new directive on asset forfeiture — especially for drug traffickers,” Sessions said in his prepared remarks for a speech to the National District Attorney's Association in Minneapolis. "With care and professionalism, we plan to develop policies to increase forfeitures. No criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime. Adoptive forfeitures are appropriate as is sharing with our partners."

Asset forfeiture is a disputed practice that allows law enforcement officials to permanently take money and goods from individuals suspected of crime. There is little disagreement among lawmakers, authorities and criminal justice reformers that “no criminal should be allowed to keep the proceeds of their crime.” But in many cases, neither a criminal conviction nor even a criminal charge is necessary — under forfeiture laws in most states and at the federal level, mere suspicion of wrongdoing is enough to allow police to seize items permanently.

This guy :lol: :cry: :lol:

Yeah, this shitheel is planning to rob U.S. citizens but we're more concerned with some fantasy of him being a Russian agent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hooray for small gov't!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, this shitheel is planning to rob U.S. citizens but we're more concerned with some fantasy of him being a Russian agent.

That's why he's planning on robbing us. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 pm 

Police in this country are nothing more than armed tax collectors.

Even the supposed "good-ones" are pieces of shit as they stand by while the rest of them rob the public blind.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Police in this country are nothing more than armed tax collectors.

Even the supposed "good-ones" are pieces of shit as they stand by while the rest of them rob the public blind.

Hot take alert.

You could replace cops with jews, blacks or muslims with a couple edits.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:58 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Bitcoin is looking a little better today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 am 

https://apnews.com/19f6bfec15a74733b40eaf0ff9162bfa

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions is rescinding the Obama-era policy that had paved the way for legalized marijuana to flourish in states across the country, two people with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press. Sessions will instead let federal prosecutors where pot is legal decide how aggressively to enforce federal marijuana law, the people said.

The people familiar with the plan spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it before an announcement expected Thursday.

The move by President Donald Trump’s attorney general likely will add to confusion about whether it’s OK to grow, buy or use marijuana in states where pot is legal, since long-standing federal law prohibits it. It comes days after pot shops opened in California, launching what is expected to become the world’s largest market for legal recreational marijuana and as polls show a solid majority of Americans believe the drug should be legal.

While Sessions has been carrying out a Justice Department agenda that follows Trump’s top priorities on such issues as immigration and opioids, the changes to pot policy reflect his own concerns. Trump’s personal views on marijuana remain largely unknown.

Sessions, who has assailed marijuana as comparable to heroin and has blamed it for spikes in violence, had been expected to ramp up enforcement. Pot advocates argue that legalizing the drug eliminates the need for a black market and would likely reduce violence, since criminals would no longer control the marijuana trade.

The Obama administration in 2013 announced it would not stand in the way of states that legalize marijuana, so long as officials acted to keep it from migrating to places where it remained outlawed and out of the hands of criminal gangs and children. Sessions is rescinding that memo, written by then-Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole, which had cleared up some of the uncertainty about how the federal government would respond as states began allowing sales for recreational and medical purposes.

The pot business has since become a sophisticated, multimillion-dollar industry that helps fund schools, educational programs and law enforcement. Eight states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for recreational use, and California’s sales alone are projected to bring in $1 billion annually in tax revenue within several years.

Sessions’ policy will let U.S. attorneys across the country decide what kinds of federal resources to devote to marijuana enforcement based on what they see as priorities in their districts, the people familiar with the decision said.

Sessions and some law enforcement officials in states such as Colorado blame legalization for a number of problems, including drug traffickers that have taken advantage of lax marijuana laws to hide in plain sight, illegally growing and shipping the drug across state lines, where it can sell for much more. The decision was a win for pot opponents who had been urging Sessions to take action.

“There is no more safe haven with regard to the federal government and marijuana, but it’s also the beginning of the story and not the end,” said Kevin Sabet, president and CEO of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, who was among several anti-marijuana advocates who met with Sessions last month. “This is a victory. It’s going to dry up a lot of the institutional investment that has gone toward marijuana in the last five years.”

Threats of a federal crackdown have united liberals who object to the human costs of a war on pot with conservatives who see it as a states’ rights issue. Some in law enforcement support a tougher approach, but a bipartisan group of senators in March urged Sessions to uphold existing marijuana policy. Others in Congress have been seeking ways to protect and promote legal pot businesses.

Marijuana advocates quickly condemned Sessions’ move as a return to outdated drug-war policies that unduly affected minorities.

Sessions “wants to maintain a system that has led to tremendous injustice ... and that has wasted federal resources on a huge scale,” said Maria McFarland Sanchez-Moreno, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance. “If Sessions thinks that makes sense in terms of prosecutorial priorities, he is in a very bizarre ideological state, or a deeply problematic one.”

A task force Sessions convened to study pot policy made no recommendations for upending the legal industry but instead encouraged Justice Department officials to keep reviewing the Obama administration’s more hands-off approach to marijuana enforcement, something Sessions promised to do since he took office.

The change also reflects yet another way in which Sessions, who served as a federal prosecutor at the height of the drug war in Mobile, Alabama, has reversed Obama-era criminal justice policies that aimed to ease overcrowding in federal prisons and contributed to a rethinking of how drug criminals were prosecuted and sentenced. While his Democratic predecessor Eric Holder told federal prosecutors to avoid seeking long mandatory minimum sentences when charging certain lower level drug offenders, for example, Sessions issued an order demanding the opposite, telling them to pursue the most serious charges possible against most suspects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 am 

Opioids killed 60,000 people last year.

Marijuana killed 0 (or close to it). Guess which "problem" our government wants to tackle.

Seriously, if some federal agent tries to bust a legal pot shop, then I hope the store owner gives him the same treatment he would any other armed robber.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Opioids killed 60,000 people last year.

Marijuana killed 0 (or close to it). Guess which "problem" our government wants to tackle.

Seriously, if some federal agent tries to bust a legal pot shop, then I hope the store owner gives him the same treatment he would any other armed robber.

suck their dick?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
But muh state's rights!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I just want to know where to get some edibles.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm 
pittmike wrote:
I just want to know where to get some edibles.

Big gubmint says you can't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 am 

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
2h2 hours ago

Why is A.G. Jeff Sessions asking the Inspector General to investigate potentially massive FISA abuse. Will take forever, has no prosecutorial power and already late with reports on Comey etc. Isn’t the I.G. an Obama guy? Why not use Justice Department lawyers? DISGRACEFUL!

:lol:

Poor Jefferson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
2h2 hours ago

Why is A.G. Jeff Sessions asking the Inspector General to investigate potentially massive FISA abuse. Will take forever, has no prosecutorial power and already late with reports on Comey etc. Isn’t the I.G. an Obama guy? Why not use Justice Department lawyers? DISGRACEFUL!

Poor Jefferson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
He does what the president wants and he's still not happy.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

How does Trump think that the DOJ can investigate itself? How would that work?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I know this is Sessions dream job but at some point keeping your dignity trumps all.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Nas wrote:
I know this is Sessions dream job but at some point keeping your dignity trumps all.

Interesting choice of words.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
2h2 hours ago

Poor Jefferson.

Is this the same Inspector General that told QCP to knock off his twitter antics?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Just so I'm clear ... tough guy Trump decides to have a Twitter hissy fit (and, as usual, an irrational one at that) rather than speak face-to-face privately, like an adult, to his AG? Pure leadership right there, kids.

By the way, isn't the Inspector General a normal ol' Presidentially-appointed position?

What a maroon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
How does Trump think that the DOJ can investigate itself? How would that work?

Look who's questioning Dear Leader!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Jeff Sessions rolling papers:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way