It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am 

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com ... ationally/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am 

Good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
anyone who would let their kid play football now with the concussion info we have is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to raise kids.

Within 20 years the NFL will be two hand touch or maybe tackle but only below the waist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
anyone who would let their kid play football now with the concussion info we have is an idiot and shouldn't be allowed to raise kids.

Within 20 years the NFL will be two hand touch or maybe tackle but only below the waist.
NFL and college will be fine. Just start tackle at 18 when they are legally adults. It will take some adjustments to practice methods but it can be done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
High school football will continue unabated in some regions but drop off in others, ours being one of them. Illinois isn't really full of passion for the game of football the way Texas and Ohio are. We just like to watch the Bears on TV. Same with New England, which was the ultimate backwater of the NFL until Bill Parcells came to work for the Patriots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Won't be long now til the NBA is the number one league

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

NFL and college will be fine. Just start tackle at 18 when they are legally adults. It will take some adjustments to practice methods but it can be done.

Not a bad idea, though I don't know (I really don't) if that would solve the various problems associated with playing the line....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm 

shakes wrote:

Holy shit, this society is so soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Curious Hair wrote:
High school football will continue unabated in some regions but drop off in others, ours being one of them. Illinois isn't really full of passion for the game of football the way Texas and Ohio are. We just like to watch the Bears on TV. Same with New England, which was the ultimate backwater of the NFL until Bill Parcells came to work for the Patriots.

Yes and no. Some of these small towns out here have a good part of their identity wrapped around their football teams and other teams. I was surprised by it as growing up in the burbs the communities didn't seem all to involved. I would think it would have something to do with a more transiet population vs towns out here.

Should add that without urban centers behind it though the numbers plummet but that kind of goes without saying.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 pm 

Our numbers are up.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Im pretty much done w/ the NFL this year. Have been for a while now. I dont even waste my time watching the SB for the 10 years or so.

If the Bears get good i'll follow them, but today's NFL is just unwatchable for me. Everything from goodell to the product on the field and these guys getting brain damage.

Kids who need football as a ticket out of a bad situation will still be around but the game will take a hit from the suburban parents who overprotect their kids too much already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
HawaiiYou wrote:
Im pretty much done w/ the NFL this year. Have been for a while now. I dont even waste my time watching the SB for the 10 years or so.

If the Bears get good i'll follow them, but today's NFL is just unwatchable for me. Everything from goodell to the product on the field and these guys getting brain damage.

Kids who need football as a ticket out of a bad situation will still be around but the game will take a hit from the suburban parents who overprotect their kids too much already.

I've been done with the NFL a little while longer, since the Ray Rice incident, and I echo everything you say here.

There just isn't enough upside for parents to let their kids play football. The values they learn playing team sports can just as easily be learned playing a number of other sports all with lower risks of suffering brain trauma. Lacrosse will get bigger and bigger in this area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:50 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yes and no. Some of these small towns out here have a good part of their identity wrapped around their football teams and other teams. I was surprised by it as growing up in the burbs the communities didn't seem all to involved. I would think it would have something to do with a more transiet population vs towns out here.

I don't think it's about suburban populations being transient so much as having better things to do. But I grew up in a small town and we didn't care about football either. Come to think of it, we didn't care about anything. True story: Lake Geneva was cited in a New York Times article after the election where a resident said she didn't vote because she couldn't bother to stand in line.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 am 

Good. They all should be playing baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:59 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:

Hell yeah dude. Illinois should be a baseball state all the way. So what that it's colder than Florida and Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Curious Hair wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Hell yeah dude. Illinois should be a baseball state all the way. So what that it's colder than Florida and Texas.

No reason more HS baseball couldn't be played in the fall. If they started when football did they'd have better weather than what they get in the spring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:08 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't think it's about suburban populations being transient so much as having better things to do. But I grew up in a small town and we didn't care about football either. Come to think of it, we didn't care about anything. True story: Lake Geneva was cited in a New York Times article after the election where a resident said she didn't vote because she couldn't bother to stand in line.

It could be that as well. I just find it interesting that there is a town around here which still refers a team from the 50's that won state main basketball from a school that doesn't exist anymore. Why do they care? Because no one ever moved away itvseans. Same as other towns. The schools are made up of third generation attendants for the most part. It's bizarre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:12 am 

Are you talking about Hebron with the basketball water tower? I think they still have their high school, unless I missed the memo and everyone got redistricted to Richmond.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am 

No. Mineral. Way out west.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Over the last 20 years Illinois has produced the 5th most big leaguers in the country behind California, Florida, Texas and Georgia. It already is a baseball state.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Are you talking about Hebron with the basketball water tower? I think they still have their high school, unless I missed the memo and everyone got redistricted to Richmond.

Hebron consolidated, so it's half-Hebron....still bugs me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It could be that as well. I just find it interesting that there is a town around here which still refers a team from the 50's that won state main basketball from a school that doesn't exist anymore. Why do they care? Because no one ever moved away itvseans. Same as other towns. The schools are made up of third generation attendants for the most part. It's bizarre

It can be odd and sometimes downright pathetic, but it also can be positive--maybe they feel they are a part of something. I'm sympathetic to that.

As long as it doesn't involve soccer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Over the last 20 years Illinois has produced the 5th most big leaguers in the country behind California, Florida, Texas and Georgia. It already is a baseball state.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Illinois is fifth largest state by population, so it makes sense that it's ranked 5th among home states for big leaguers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
It can be odd and sometimes downright pathetic, but it also can be positive--maybe they feel they are a part of something. I'm sympathetic to that.

As long as it doesn't involve soccer.

Yeah actually that's true. Still find it odd. You look at the 50's-80's out here and you had the closing of coal mines near that town, the construction of I-80 cutting off traffic for many towns, consolidTion of farms and the closing of the steel industry in Kewanee and it's easy to see why you'd look for dine thing to hang onto.

I don't think soccer gets much love. Maybe in bigger districts but the little ones don't even have teams as far as I know. But football. Friday night is a big deal still.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I've been done with the NFL a little while longer, since the Ray Rice incident, and I echo everything you say here.

There just isn't enough upside for parents to let their kids play football. The values they learn playing team sports can just as easily be learned playing a number of other sports all with lower risks of suffering brain trauma. Lacrosse will get bigger and bigger in this area.

Well, football still offers by far the most scholarships. Basketball rosters are tiny & made up of Gigantors, baseball is barely a scholarship sport and the minor sports are slowly dying b/c of Title IX. We need to see people in their 30s, 40s, 50s etc donate their brains to science to see if it's common to develop CTE from playing 4 years of HS ball.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
There was a day when Baseball was king. Baseball hurt itself and it's like the #3 sport now but I hope it comes back. The Cubs winning the WS helped as it got me back into just baseball in general (non-cub games).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I played HS football, no headaches or anything. Its been 10 years. Fifty guys on my team, haven't heard anyone say a thing about it. From the guy who made an NFL practice squad down to the benchwarmer...nobody has a single problem. In fact, I dont know anyone personally who has any CTE problems. Do you?

As for NBA being the #1 sport? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Americans are stupid but they are not going to accept pro wrestling on wood as their new America's Game. The NFL gets a lot of heat, but its nowhere near as disgracefully run as the NBA's shitrag.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
HawaiiYou wrote:
There was a day when Baseball was king. Baseball hurt itself and it's like the #3 sport now but I hope it comes back. The Cubs winning the WS helped as it got me back into just baseball in general (non-cub games).

Baseball is #2 by a huge margin and growing rapidly. You think the rest of the western hemisphere (other than Drake wannabes in Toronto) gives even the slightest shit about basketball? Not to mention South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Netherlands etc. where baseball is extremely popular.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 am 

America wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Baseball is #2 by a huge margin and growing rapidly. You think the rest of the western hemisphere (other than Drake wannabes in Toronto) gives even the slightest shit about basketball? Not to mention South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Netherlands etc. where baseball is extremely popular.

Basketball is doing okay in South America (but can't compete with soccer) and it pretty much owns China now. GUANGZHOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
America wrote:
I played HS football, no headaches or anything. Its been 10 years. Fifty guys on my team, haven't heard anyone say a thing about it. From the guy who made an NFL practice squad down to the benchwarmer...nobody has a single problem. In fact, I dont know anyone personally who has any CTE problems. Do you?

As for NBA being the #1 sport? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Americans are stupid but they are not going to accept pro wrestling on wood as their new America's Game. The NFL gets a lot of heat, but its nowhere near as disgracefully run as the NBA's shitrag.

Unless I'm mistaken, Doug Buffone played 14 years and never was diagnosed with CTE nor did he die from complications resulting from CTE.

Make tackle football at age 16, but institute tackling courses at an early age so as to prevent neck injuries that would result from inexperienced teenagers tackling one another.