It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

denisdman wrote:
If UIUC was even remotely popular up here, you would see local athletes going there. For students, it is a settle school. It was exactly as Tom Cruise said in Risky Business. Very few have it as their first choice.

You rarely see people walking around in Illini gear.

I can't prove any of this. Simply my observations from living here my entire life and going there.

I know a lot of Chicago area people that love the Illini. You just hate the school.

Chicago has a lot of Big Ten alumni so it's not as in your face though like it is when you go to Iowa and everyone there has an Iowa hat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm sure we've been over this a thousand times on this board but I would say anything south of Ottawa or Kankakee can reasonably called downstate -- "central Illinois" is just another part of downstate. Rockford and other places that aren't Chicago are just northern Illinois. Galena is more accurately in the Driftless Area but it's not not northern Illinois.

I think a lot of people here were really into Illini hoops the year they were undefeated late into the season and almost won a national championship but who wouldn't be? Obviously the state's flagship university has a good number of fans in the state's major population center, but it doesn't compare with other states for various cultural/geographic/demographic reasons. But back to the topic at hand, which is Chicago media coverage of these little college-sports fiefdoms, I feel like we're at a place with college sports fandom that people who crave that sort of coverage are getting it somewhere online, whether it's SBNation blogs or podcasts or anything where you're among friends in a way that you wouldn't be with the Score as currently constituted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm sure we've been over this a thousand times on this board but I would say anything south of Ottawa or Kankakee can reasonably called downstate -- "central Illinois" is just another part of downstate. Rockford and other places that aren't Chicago are just northern Illinois. Galena is more accurately in the Driftless Area but it's not not northern Illinois.

I think a lot of people here were really into Illini hoops the year they were undefeated late into the season and almost won a national championship but who wouldn't be? Obviously the state's flagship university has a good number of fans in the state's major population center, but it doesn't compare with other states for various cultural/geographic/demographic reasons. But back to the topic at hand, which is Chicago media coverage of these little college-sports fiefdoms, I feel like we're at a place with college sports fandom that people who crave that sort of coverage are getting it somewhere online, whether it's SBNation blogs or podcasts or anything where you're among friends in a way that you wouldn't be with the Score as currently constituted.

I love college sports but anything more than a weekly guest like Gerry Dinardo is too much. Just like national NBA, leave it to the guys who know it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 pm 

Yeah, I think you're right. Anything more than a weekly around-the-Big-Ten segment is going to turn people off. If they think the local team that won three championships this decade will chase listeners away, I can't imagine what routine deep dives on Michigan State's offense would do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

:lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:19 pm 

I don't know what I like better: that JORR took and posted this photo in real time or that he has a trove of selfies flipping people off for any occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Looks like JORR still has some of his ex-wive's art available if anyone is interested.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Anything south of Joliet is basically Alabama.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
delaney :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:30 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Looks like JORR still has some of his ex-wive's art available if anyone is interested.

The art on display costs about $250K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I just get the feeling that a weighted-down body lies five hundred feet behind him in that lake...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
My favorite JORR selfie is the one he sent in has bathroom to the guy that sent him one. Made me laugh pretty hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
"Downstate" is just the appellation for anything outside Chicagoland to a lot of people. I've heard Rockford referred to as downstate, which I object to.

Having lived upstate for 25+ years now, the definition that I hear most often is anything west of 47 and/or south of 80 is downstate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
"Downstate" is just the appellation for anything outside Chicagoland to a lot of people. I've heard Rockford referred to as downstate, which I object to.

Having lived upstate for 25+ years now, the definition that I hear most often is anything west of 47 and/or south of 80 is downstate.

Take THAT west side of Elburn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

As a veteran of some long drives down 47 (120 north of the border), I'll buy that as the western frontier of the metropolis, but I-80 as the southern limit puts Homewood and Flossmoor downstate, and Laurence Holmes is no downstater in my book.

Kankakee is either the southernmost part of Chicagoland or the northernmost part of downstate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:

Bunch of cookie-cutter (but affluent) suburbs are really far south these days...Frankfort and beyond.