It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Persied Meteor Showah
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Saw this a little last night south of Champaign-Urbana. It was beautiful. Going tonight again in Monee--not sure how it's gonna be.

I wish I lived (or knew people who live) near Drunk Squirrel or where Leash and Dr. Ken grew up. I'm always a little leery about standing outside in the darkness with my kids in a place I do not own. But it was pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
formerlyknownas wrote:
Saw this a little last night south of Champaign-Urbana. It was beautiful. Going tonight again in Monee--not sure how it's gonna be.

I wish I lived (or knew people who live) near Drunk Squirrel or where Leash and Dr. Ken grew up. I'm always a little leery about standing outside in the darkness with my kids in a place I do not own. But it was pretty cool.

Dress in all white, chain smoke, and carry a notebook. It'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:35 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Dress in all white, chain smoke, and carry a notebook. It'll be fine.

I only wear band shirts, I quit smoking ten years ago, and writing is for you-know-whats. My wife is from Bridgeport, though, so she's pretty tough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
formerlyknownas wrote:

Yeah, just gotta find the roads where no one lives if you are worried about that but most people aren't fans of folks parking near their houses for extended periods of time. It's... odd. Anything odd is suspicious. Like not waving when I drive by you on 1750 North.

This area is pretty decent for stars. Pick a nice cold, crisp night, preferably not a Friday night, and the sky can be tremendous. Not eastern Montana tremendous but pretty nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
formerlyknownas wrote:
My wife is from Bridgeport, though, so she's pretty tough.

Does she smoke Marlboros? The ones in the red box?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Yeah, just gotta find the roads where no one lives if you are worried about that but most people aren't fans of folks parking near their houses for extended periods of time. It's... odd. Anything odd is suspicious. Like not waving when I drive by you on 1750 North.

This area is pretty decent for stars. Pick a nice cold, crisp night, preferably not a Friday night, and the sky can be tremendous. Not eastern Montana tremendous but pretty nice.

In central Wisconsin (i.e an hour north of Madison) you can see the milky way. An entirely different look compared to around here. It is a shame people go through their entire lives without seeing a proper night sky.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:48 am 

a genius wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

In central Wisconsin (i.e an hour north of Madison) you can see the milky way. An entirely different look compared to around here. It is a shame people go through their entire lives without seeing a proper night sky.

I'm pretty sure everywhere on Earth you can see the Milky Way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:59 am 

a genius wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

Totally agree. I may take my kids out to DesMoines (there's an astronomy club or some shit that meets there) where the sky is dark enough to see the Milky Way. It's really something you don't forget.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
a genius wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

I'm pretty sure everywhere on Earth you can see the Milky Way.

Because of all the light pollution here I see very few stars and no milky way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:00 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:

I've seen the Milky Way just south of Tiskilwa . . . but then I moved on because of the looking odd thing. Really cool, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Yes. You can see the milkyway here. Some nights better than others but the winter sky especially. I wish the hog houses would go dark sky initiative but I don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:42 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Yes. You can see the milkyway here. Some nights better than others but the winter sky especially. I wish the hog houses would go dark sky initiative but I don't see that happening.

So did you move out that way for work?