It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
TurdFerguson wrote:
pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.

I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.

No because a pitch in the dirt always requires a tag or throw to first base.

Unless 1st base is occupied or there's 2 outs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
KDdidit wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
pittmike wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
One more... if a batter has two strikes and see the pitcher throw one to the back stop, could he swing seeing where the ball was going and attempt to beat a throw to first.

I would assume it has to really be dropped as a third strike not a WP or PB.

No because a pitch in the dirt always requires a tag or throw to first base.

Unless 1st base is occupied or there's 2 outs.

2 outs? I didn't realize that was a thing. I thought it only applied to the man on first sssentially forcing the batter out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
schmitty1121 wrote:
Hope these aren't real questions.

Hawaiiyou is a blockhead but he did pick a nice tree.

Sorry... I mean the questions were apparently not completely idiotic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:06 am 

newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
The third question I asked I always thought was foul too. But some sites I visited say it's fair. Even years before I have met people who said it would be fair. They compare it to a foul bunt. If you bunt the ball foul and it rolls back in fair it's fair. That one too sort of miffed me for a long time as I always thought once foul always foul.

It's fair, which is why technically the umpires are not supposed to call them foul balls until it stops moving, hits a wall, or someone touches it. But due to the physics of hitting a ball, the spin on the ball tends to carry it foul instead of back into fair.

Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

He cant do anything if the call wasnt made immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
pretty sure the catcher has to stay in foul territory until the pitch is thrown...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
rogers park bryan wrote:
newper wrote:
Here's one for you, men on first and second with 1 out, and the pitcher is up to bat. Coach gives him the sign to bunt. Pitcher bunts it about 20 feet in the air back to the pitcher who easily gets under to field it while the base runners remain next to their bases. Fielding pitcher intentionally lets the ball hit the ground, throws to third for one out, and then to second for the last out of the inning. The team leaves the field while the batting team's coach comes running out to discuss this with the plate umpire... he wants an infield fly rule called... what should the plate umpire do?

He cant do anything if the call wasnt made immediately.

That is correct -- there are two different ways to get the answer here -- (1) Infield Fly rules are not appealable; if they aren't called during the play, then you can't apply it afterwards; (2) Infield fly rule does not apply to bunts or line drives, per the rulebook.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
TurdFerguson wrote:

Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Sure. I've seen it happen. It probably should happen more but it takes a lot of presence of mind. You've trained yourself to lay off pitches over your head.

And you're essenitally betting against yourself being able to get on via traditional means.

I think it makes sense if you're down 0-2 on 99 Pedro or Randy Johnson, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

I assume the pitch doesnt technically end until the catcher retrieves the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

But could the batter swing after the ball has gone by and he sees the catcher hasn't moved toward the ball. As in the ball is rolling away. Could the batter swing at nothing and then run.

Yeah. It's something a guy like Pierzynski would do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Yeah. It's something a guy like Pierzynski would do.

That's exactly who I had job mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
RH batter twists to his left as a pitch is headed for his chest and hits him. bat goes over top of plate in process. Strike? or HBP?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
That might be up to the 1st base ump to call a swing or a check swing. If you swing at a pitch that hits you, its a strike. If the pitch hits the ground before it hits you, its a HBP unless you are out of the batter's box.

TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

This would be the case unless the ump has already called it a ball.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Jose Quintana has a lower on base percentage than his batting average.
Extremely rare. But possible. Odd, yeah?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Darkside wrote:
Jose Quintana has a lower on base percentage than his batting average.
Extremely rare. But possible. Odd, yeah?

Yes, as sacrifices don't count against your batting average but they do count against your OBP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I noticed one of the Cubs games vs the Pirates ended in a TIE last year. But in the final standings there is no Tie column .

How did a freaking Tie come into play and is it an actual official tie in the history books?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
HawaiiYou wrote:
I noticed one of the Cubs games vs the Pirates ended in a TIE last year. But in the final standings there is no Tie column .

How did a freaking Tie come into play and is it an actual official tie in the history books?

Games often ended in ties prior to the advent of installing lights at the ballpark.

This game was a rainout and it was late enough in the season that there would be no implication on playoffs for either team should they win. The game doesn't count in the win-loss column, but the stats do count.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:

Game was suspended with a tie score. They didn't have flexibility to make up, and they didn't actually have to finish the game because it wouldn't have made a difference in the standings.

The game and stats are acknowledged, but the official record shows one game short of the standard 162...much like a play in game (163) is counted in the official standings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:29 pm 

so why was there such a bruh ha ha when selig ended the all star game in a tie ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:
so why was there such a bruh ha ha when selig ended the all star game in a tie ?

Because it's the all star game, and I don't honestly think any actual people gave a shit...that was media driven hyperbole.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
HawaiiYou wrote:

It used to be that many players would not see playing time the the All-Star game, but by the time Brenly and Torre managed it, it was more common to try to get everyone in. Therefore, the substitutions started early and by the time extra innings came along, there was no one left. Rather than throw some position players in to pitch, they called it a tie.

The most sensible solution would have been to either expand the bullpen roster, or allow players to re-enter the game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
That might be up to the 1st base ump to call a swing or a check swing. If you swing at a pitch that hits you, its a strike. If the pitch hits the ground before it hits you, its a HBP unless you are out of the batter's box.

Ah, but what constitutes a swinging strike? The definition is something like, "when the batter attempts to strike the ball with the bat. "

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Strike

https://www.mlb.com/video/panda-tries-t ... c-32653289

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am 

Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Hitter bounces to SS for a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning. Runner touches home plate before the 1st baseman catches the ball for the 3rd out but we know that's still the 3rd out and run does not count.

Scenario 2 :

Bases loaded , 1 out. Hitter hits a blooper to the LF so runners stay pat since they don't know if he will catch or not catch the ball. Ball bounces on ground, LF picks it up, throws to 2nd for 2nd out and SS throws to first for 3rd out. Before the 3rd out is made, runner on third crosses plate. Does the run count? I'm saying No, but not sure.

The runner can’t score until the batter reaches first base.

Bases loaded 1 out. Ball goes to third and third bases steps on base for out and throws to short for third out. If some how the runner at third reaches home and the batter reached first base before the third out, the run would score.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 am 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2 :

The outs are still force outs. The two plays are really exactly the same except for which fielders are handling the ball. Traditionally, the play in Scenario 2 would have been very unlikely. But with all the extreme shifts that are used today, the "left fielder" may have actually been the second baseman.

Here's a question. If you're scoring the game and there is an extreme shift on a right-handed batter, the third baseman is on the line, the shortstop is way over to the left, and the second baseman is in short left field, and the ball is hit on the ground to the "second baseman" who throws to first for the force, that is properly scored as 4-3. But why? If I'm looking at the scorebook ten years down the road, it really doesn't accurately reflect what occurred, does it?

Or how about this? When the Cubs send Rizzo to stand right on top of the batter in a likely bunt situation and he has to switch gloves because the "second baseman" is now actually playing first, and Rizzo picks up the bunt and throws it to Baez, do you score that 3-4 or 4-3?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

It has to be a clear attempt to hit the ball. Although, this happened in a Cubs game late in the season and the first base ump called the batter out. I think it was Zobrist. Terrible call.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2 :

The outs are still force outs. The two plays are really exactly the same except for which fielders are handling the ball. Traditionally, the play in Scenario 2 would have been very unlikely. But with all the extreme shifts that are used today, the "left fielder" may have actually been the second baseman.

Here's a question. If you're scoring the game and there is an extreme shift on a right-handed batter, the third baseman is on the line, the shortstop is way over to the left, and the second baseman is in short left field, and the ball is hit on the ground to the "second baseman" who throws to first for the force, that is properly scored as 4-3. But why? If I'm looking at the scorebook ten years down the road, it really doesn't accurately reflect what occurred, does it?

Or how about this? When the Cubs send Rizzo to stand right on top of the batter in a likely bunt situation and he has to switch gloves because the "second baseman" is now actually playing first, and Rizzo picks up the bunt and throws it to Baez, do you score that 3-4 or 4-3?

I think with the glove switch it becomes 4-3 as in the box score they have switched positions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Scenario 1:

Scenario 2 :

I think with the glove switch it becomes 4-3 as in the box score they have switched positions.

So when the box score comes out it will show each guy at both positions? That sounds right. In the other case, I think the positions- especially in the infield- have become fluid in this age of radical shifts. 4-3 doesn't really tell you how the play went as much as it used to.