It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Once in a great while with kids I have had to choose Applebees/Chillis/TGIF. I am sure they speed things up in some way but I have to believe they actually but steak, burger, chicken breast on a grill.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
pittmike wrote:
Once in a great while with kids I have had to choose Applebees/Chillis/TGIF. I am sure they speed things up in some way but I have to believe they actually but steak, burger, chicken breast on a grill.

i mean, it would be pretty funny if they were microwaving burgers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I don't mind Friday's. Their food is generally tasty and they have a good beer selection.

Applebee's (when it was still around here) was the drizzling shits. Chili's is just awful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I like the fajitas at Chili's plus they have those video game tablets at the tables to keep the little brats occupied. Lot's of restaurant snobs here, #SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I would agree Friday's is the best of that low tier.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
I like the fajitas at Chili's plus they have those video game tablets at the tables to keep the little brats occupied. Lot's of restaurant snobs here, #SAD!

Chili's fajitas used to be good. They changed something a few years back, and now they are awful.

If I want chain restaurant fajitas, I'll slum it at On the Border.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i'll endless app fridays as it has one of the best locations right on the mississippi. if it wasn't we'd never go. otherwise, most of those places are marginal for a place that you spend 10-15 bucks a meal plus tip.

but alas we are often asked out to eat with people we are not super familiar with due to our role at our church and people are always wanting to eat at these shitholes. i always just get a burger. its all i ever get at places that suck. the best part is when some of these people we go out with become friends, they eventually learn about that and are like, hey you got a burger at our favorite restaurant when we first met. and i'm like you just got jammed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
hnd wrote:
i'll endless app fridays as it has one of the best locations right on the mississippi. if it wasn't we'd never go. otherwise, most of those places are marginal for a place that you spend 10-15 bucks a meal plus tip.

but alas we are often asked out to eat with people we are not super familiar with due to our role at our church and people are always wanting to eat at these shitholes. i always just get a burger. its all i ever get at places that suck. the best part is when some of these people we go out with become friends, they eventually learn about that and are like, hey you got a burger at our favorite restaurant when we first met. and i'm like you just got jammed!

Best argument I've heard yet for being an atheist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
hnd, have you ever ridden the Channel Cat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
leashyourkids wrote:
hnd, have you ever ridden the Channel Cat?

Come again ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Boat that runs between Iowa and Illinois. Basically a river cab.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

We should have a city vs. country football game. TACKLE. I'd be honorary country. hnd, DS, leash, me, Dr. Ken, Peoria Matt....who's gonna beat that team?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

We should have a city vs. country football game. TACKLE. I'd be honorary country. hnd, DS, leash, me, Dr. Ken, Peoria Matt....who's gonna beat that team?

Suburb team of me, WZ, IMU, HG, DB, denis, and a genius

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 pm 

More appropriately referred to as a slaughter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
The local orthopedic surgeon wins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
anyone ever ordered a burger from Gibson's ? (or another fancy steakhouse)

I've had the burger at Smith & Wollensky on several occasions. It's fine, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask. No offense to Telegram Sam, but personally my preferred burger style isn't the pub burger. I like a skinny patty cooked on a griddle until it's crusty. I think this is the popular style in The Region. Hank? Eaglo?

Props for using The Region. :lol:

That is the way Schoops does it and they are the biggest local burger chain out here. It's a damn good burger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
The local orthopedic surgeon wins.

yeah, that's actually true

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am 

So, because of this thread, we went to TGI Friday's last night. I had to test Caller Bob's theory of chain restaurant steak.

I ordered their ribeye and (against my better judgment), ordered it medium rare.

They brought out a piece of meat that looked like a deformed sausage patty and asked me to cut into it to make sure it was done properly. I cut into it, and it was completely black... very well done. So I told them it wasn't done properly. They took it back, and about ten minutes later, brought me another one that looked exactly the same. I cut into it again, and it was the exact same. I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I just told them it was fine and drenched it in steak sauce. It was awful.

I love ya' Bob, but I have no idea how you could actually eat steak at these places on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
So, because of this thread, we went to TGI Friday's last night. I had to test Caller Bob's theory of chain restaurant steak.

I ordered their ribeye and (against my better judgment), ordered it medium rare.

They brought out a piece of meat that looked like a deformed sausage patty and asked me to cut into it to make sure it was done properly. I cut into it, and it was completely black... very well done. So I told them it wasn't done properly. They took it back, and about ten minutes later, brought me another one that looked exactly the same. I cut into it again, and it was the exact same. I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I just told them it was fine and drenched it in steak sauce. It was awful.

I love ya' Bob, but I have no idea how you could actually eat steak at these places on a regular basis.

Maybe their microwave is broken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am 

Leash...for the record I never vouched for TGI Friday's steak. It was Applebees and Ruby Tuesday's. Applebees is pretty mediocre, Ruby Tuesdays was delicious, last time I had it which was along time ago. I assume no liability here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 am 

Come to think of it, Friday's was always my least favorite of those chains. I have no idea why Ruby Tuesday has been getting killed in this market with such a superior product. Maybe Denis can provide some insight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's...they have their place. As leash (I think?) mentioned, its an OK place to go with the kids and they have drinks too. Plus, its pretty tough to screw up chicken tenders or a burger and fries.

Chili's, on the other hand, sucks. My wife won a $25 giftcard there for her work and she was kinda pissed about it because that place sucks. I suggested we just sit at the bar and have a couple drinks.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's...they have their place. As leash (I think?) mentioned, its an OK place to go with the kids and they have drinks too. Plus, its pretty tough to screw up chicken tenders or a burger and fries.

Chili's, on the other hand, sucks. My wife won a $25 giftcard there for her work and she was kinda pissed about it because that place sucks. I suggested we just sit at the bar and have a couple drinks.

Frank, slightly off topic, but you are around Orland right? Is the Golf Galaxy there worth going to? I was digging through my garage and found a $50+ gift card from that place, so I want to get into a location. Seems like the PGA store is just about to wipe them out as they have closed a ton of Illinois locations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Leash...for the record I never vouched for TGI Friday's steak. It was Applebees

I didnt kill my daughter, it was my son!

Same exact thing. Literally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Also, I would never let a lower tier restaurant do a Ribeye. Stick to Sirloin, New York or Filet. I'm not a huge fan of Rib-eye's myself, I understand the fat adds flavor but I prefer leaner cuts rare, which gives plenty of flavor. Of course some of those bone in Ribeyes at the premium steakhouses are the exception to the rule.

I really wish Leash would have called me to discuss before he went out...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
There is, Bob, off of LaGrange and 159th (I think). I've only been in the place once. The card might be usable online.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Also, I would never let a lower tier restaurant do a Ribeye. Stick to Sirloin, New York or Filet. I'm not a huge fan of Rib-eye's myself, I understand the fat adds flavor but I prefer leaner cuts rare, which gives plenty of flavor. Of course some of those bone in Ribeyes at the premium steakhouses are the exception to the rule.

Flat iron is the only acceptable cut at Fridays.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am 

You guys ever get the Surf and Turf at 7-11?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:06 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It depends on where you live.

If you live in the Chicago suburbs, there is really no reason to be a regular at any of those big chain places with many similarly priced better options available. If those are your best options then you should move. No offense to Hank Scorpio, Peoria Matt, and RFDC intended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Flat iron is the only acceptable cut at Fridays.

I'll be honest, I really hate going to all those chains with the family now these days. I liked them when I was young/dating/broke as a cheap meal under $30...but now you go with the kids and they decide to act like fucking retards, hardly eat any food and you are still stuck with a $50-$60 dollar bill...I'd rather just go out with the wife now and then to a Morton's or Joe's ourselves, and go all out for $150-200.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next