It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Telegram Sam wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
So let's combine BBQ and a burger....mmmmm

6954 N Western at Pitt BBQ. Good stuff. Is better than most steaks.

I enjoy a fancy burger now and again, but a good basic American burger is good eats for the buck. I was at Mic Duck's Drive In at Kimball and Belmont once and had a surprisingly great burger and commented this to who I believe was owner and wife. He is of foreign decent and commented on the beauty of the combination of meat/cheese and condiments found on this American original. Thought that was a great description.

There was/is a thread about this burger, the one made from ground brisket ends. The restaurant was actually Rubs' Back Country BBQ, the owner bought that neon from another restaurant and didn't alter it. They've since "re-concepted" into a whole animal type affair. I think the burger has fallen off the menu, sadly. Shakes, BigFan, JORR, me , maybe Midget all sung its praises.

Yes, you all did talk it up. Was in area a month ago and saw sign and wasn't sure if it was right place for this famed brisket burger. It was on menu then and still good at that time. Glad you mention it was reconcepted because iirc bigfan or shakes was saying it code violations and looked run down. This place was renovated, and playing full sides of vinyl records. The sign didn't remind me of what I remembered. Everyone seemed to enjoy food. Kinda smaller portions and heavy on the BBQ options.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
brisket burgers are so overrated. its a shitty piece of meat that requires HOURS of breakdown time to turn into its awesome goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
hnd wrote:
brisket burgers are so overrated. its a shitty piece of meat that requires HOURS of breakdown time to turn into its awesome goodness.

If someone else is spending hours to create the goodness I tasted, fine by me. Pricing was fine. Wasn't like I overpaid for horrible relief pitcher in free agency.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm 

they aren't taking the time. what they are doing is taking a previously considered "trimming" throw away cut of meat and grinding it into burger and charging a premium for it in some places because when people think brisket they think of aaron franklin slapping a flat and it jiggling like a belly dancer. a normal 80/20 burger grind is like chuck and round. which is far more expensive than packer brisket.

its genius frankly. and there is barely a taste difference. if i smoke a chuck and a brisket, most people can't tell the difference.

man i want to smoke a brisket now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
hnd wrote:
they aren't taking the time. what they are doing is taking a previously considered "trimming" throw away cut of meat and grinding it into burger and charging a premium for it in some places because when people think brisket they think of aaron franklin slapping a flat and it jiggling like a belly dancer. a normal 80/20 burger grind is like chuck and round. which is far more expensive than packer brisket.

its genius frankly. and there is barely a taste difference. if i smoke a chuck and a brisket, most people can't tell the difference.

Aaron Franklin? FUCK AARON FRANKLIN!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
anyone ever ordered a burger from Gibson's ? (or another fancy steakhouse)

I've had the burger at Smith & Wollensky on several occasions. It's fine, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask. No offense to Telegram Sam, but personally my preferred burger style isn't the pub burger. I like a skinny patty cooked on a griddle until it's crusty. I think this is the popular style in The Region. Hank? Eaglo?

I assume you've had the RHR Double with cheese from Red Hot Ranch? Best burger in Chicago IMO and its griddle made and very crusty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:

I've had the burger at Smith & Wollensky on several occasions. It's fine, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask. No offense to Telegram Sam, but personally my preferred burger style isn't the pub burger. I like a skinny patty cooked on a griddle until it's crusty. I think this is the popular style in The Region. Hank? Eaglo?

What would your favorite burger joint be?

Man, that's tough. I like Top Notch a lot. I like Edzo's too but I could do without his Hot Doug-styled cult of personality and truncated hours. There aren't that many griddle burgers around Chicago. There are a lot of good pub-style burgers. I like Kuma's, BRGRBelly, Big Jones has a good one, Au Cheval. There are many good ones. I just like the skinny flattop burger better.

maybe you haven't been to Red Hot Ranch.

Alert the presses, found a place in Chicago where JORR hasn't been!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
After reading this thread, I just ordered a burrito.

AND A GAY!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Steak.

Money's too tight for steak.

Steak??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
is too tight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:

What would your favorite burger joint be?

Man, that's tough. I like Top Notch a lot. I like Edzo's too but I could do without his Hot Doug-styled cult of personality and truncated hours. There aren't that many griddle burgers around Chicago. There are a lot of good pub-style burgers. I like Kuma's, BRGRBelly, Big Jones has a good one, Au Cheval. There are many good ones. I just like the skinny flattop burger better.

maybe you haven't been to Red Hot Ranch.

Alert the presses, found a place in Chicago where JORR hasn't been!

I forgot about that one. I have gone several time on your recommendation. It's a great burger. Good fries too. I've only been to the one on Western. I'll have to try Ashland where you can sit down.

Also, the Double Fatso at Fatso's Last Stand is good. And as an Evanston guy I would be remiss if I did not mention Bill's double cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:56 pm 

Big Moe Cason wrote:
hnd wrote:

Aaron Franklin? FUCK AARON FRANKLIN!

big moe cason can't even win chopped grilled.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I forgot about that one. I have gone several time on your recommendation. It's a great burger. Good fries too. I've only been to the one on Western. I'll have to try Ashland where you can sit down.

Also, the Double Fatso at Fatso's Last Stand is good. And as an Evanston guy I would be remiss if I did not mention Bill's double cheese.

I've never been to the one on Western, but I know they only recently started selling burgers there so not sure if they are on the same level as the Ashland store.

I've had Fatso's and its ok, but compared to Red Hot Ranch its like comparing early Michael Jordan to Cavs Ron Harper.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I like the sausage burgers or the cheddar and bacon burgers from Fareway. Good old fashioned meat counter,everything is done up front.nothing is pre-packaged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8