It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:54 pm 

Juiced wrote:
Again, I would think the NFL would leak out what a greedy bastard Kaep is being to ruin his reputation as a rebel against the evil NFL owners.
Again, someone did. :lol:

Whether we believe it or not is up to you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Juiced wrote:
That is an interesting theory, but the problem is no team has leaked that out. I would think the NFL would want everyone to know, "hey, it's not us being racist, it is him playing the victim card."

ZephMarshack wrote:
Nope I'm just saying exactly what's transpired, rather than looking to exculpate the NFL owners at all costs. Which AFAICT is the only reason to be bringing up the notion that "he'd have turned down that offer anyway!" when literally no offers have been made.

There was a report that he turned down an offer and I'm pretty sure you and others refused to believe it.

I think it is very likely that the Seattle Seahawks made him some type of offer.

Yeah and where was the confirmation, especially from anyone credible? The source for said report also suggested Kaepernick fancies himself a "race messiah" which reads like nothing more than right wing fan fiction.

Carroll said he wouldn't make an offer for Kaepernick because he deserves to be starting, not that he was demanding starter money.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Is Kaepernick better than Sanchez?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Yeah and where was the confirmation, especially from anyone credible? The source for said report also suggested Kaepernick fancies himself a "race messiah" which reads like nothing more than right wing fan fiction.
Probably. However, I don't think any of the big name NFL reporters want to get involved and the league seems to be pretty quiet about it.

ZephMarshack wrote:
Carroll said he wouldn't make an offer for Kaepernick because he deserves to be starting, not that he was demanding starter money.
:lol: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You're too good to get a contract offer! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Peoria Matt wrote:

Maybe

But he's not very good, anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
All three QBs the Bears had start a game last year are better than Sanchez.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: :lol:

It's absolutely hilarious that Rick is being accusatory - "you refused to believe it" - regarding some anonymous Brietbart type of garbage. Come on

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:14 pm 

i can't believe people want to buy t-shirts of that guy and his stupid hair.

i saw a little bit of the protest outside NFL headquarters on ESPN. i don't think any of them know what they're even protesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Probably. However, I don't think any of the big name NFL reporters want to get involved and the league seems to be pretty quiet about it.
Right, that's why the news organization founded by Tucker Carlson that totally has legit NFL sources was the one that had the courage to break the report. :lol:

Quote:
.:lol: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So why "he's a starter in this league" rather than "he expects to be a starter in this league"?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

It's absolutely hilarious that Rick is being accusatory - "you refused to believe it" - regarding some anonymous Brietbart type of garbage. Come on

I don't necessarily believe the report either. Go read what he said though. He said as a matter of fact that "literally no offers have been made" without any way of knowing that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't necessarily believe the report either. Go read what he said though. He said as a matter of fact that "literally no offers have been made" without any way of knowing that.

Kaepernick may actually be asking for a gazillion dollars. We can't know for sure. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well it stands to reason we would have heard about it. Your reply that no legitimate NFL reporter wants to get involved doesn't make any sense either. That would be a pretty big story. Every NFL writer in the country would run the report if they had legitimate sources confirming it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:28 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Quote:
.:lol: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

So why "he's a starter in this league" rather than "he expects to be a starter in this league"?
Why not?

Just go through this in your head.
The Seahawks bring Kaepernick in for a workout.
The workout goes so well that it is clear that Kaepernick is better than at least one NFL starter and likely many NFL starters.
The Seahawks need a backup quarterback and presumably do not care about his anthem stuff.
The GM and coach have a discussion where they determine that even though he is by far the best option as a backup, they are not even going to extend him a contract offer because they perceive another team should sign him instead.
They then tell him "Thanks for the workout, you were TOO GOOD in that workout so we won't be offering you a contract".
They go out and sign a guy who isn't very good.
Then, as Kaepernick sits at home waiting for any team to offer him a contract at any price to be a backup, and it becomes perfectly clear that no one other team will sign him as a starter, the Seahawks are fine to stay with the bad backup quarterback they signed originally.

That is what you believe happened? Is that more believable than the idea that Kaepernick wants either a lot of money, a clear hold on the #1 spot, or both?

Last edited by Brick on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well it stands to reason we would have heard about it. Your reply that no legitimate NFL reporter wants to get involved doesn't make any sense either. That would be a pretty big story. Every NFL writer in the country would run the report if they had legitimate sources confirming it.
I predict that if he doesn't get signed this year that the story comes out that Seattle offered him a contract. It makes way too much sense that Seattle wouldn't at least offer him the league minimum to be the backup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Everyone should be able to admit it seems not likely that Seattle said you're too food go compete against us. More likely is they said here is $1M and he said how about $10M and they said no way.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm 

Is this a good enough source?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713471-colin-kaepernick-seahawks-contract-reportedly-didnt-happen-because-of-money

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -on-money/

Garafolo also rescinded his claim around :50 here and said there were never even formal offers exchanged: https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/8 ... 7309076484

Last edited by ZephMarshack on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Peoria Matt wrote:

On the field? Absolutely; no question.

In the role of helping groom a rookie QB? Hell no.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Some guys here working harder than Kap's agent apparently.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:53 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Which QBs has Sanchez successfully helped groom? Are we crediting him with Dak now?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Ok, please explain how butt fumble is better at grooming a QB then Kaepernick?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Neither one of them has any business trying to groom a QB. Why are some of you acting like Kaepernick was some sort of franchise changing QB? He was middling to bad at best, and the 49ers got to that damn Super Bowl on the back of Frank Gore, and the defense...fucking hell. Alex Smith started 9 god damn games for that stupid ass team, anyway.

This is like arguing that Rex fucking Grossman was an elite franchise QB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:02 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
That's an interesting last paragraph for sure.

Quote:
Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.
I'll go with that and assume that my scenario above about Kaepernick being "too good" to sign is legit.
So, I guess we can take at least 25 teams off the list of teams that are blackballing him because they have a starter they don't want looking over his shoulder. That is quite helpful to my argument.

So, that leaves by my count:
Jaguars: Tanking/Giving Bortles one last chance to show that one great season wasn't a fluke
49ers: Kaepernick already turned them down
Jets: Tanking
Browns: Drafted a rookie QB
Broncos: Maybe a case could be made but they do need to see what Paxton Lynch, who they traded up for, is worth
Texans: We have a winner!

Thanks for posting.

So, the Texans passed on Kaepernick. They were the only logical team. The Broncos maybe would have been a choice but they had a young high draft pick at quarterback and another one that proved competent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Juiced wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Ok, please explain how butt fumble is better at grooming a QB then Kaepernick?

You'll have to ask the Bears for the specifics on that as that's why they signed him ... one thing might be there was rumor and innuendo long before this protest of his started that Kaep wasn't always terribly interested in game preparation and the like - I don't recall ever hearing Sanchez was a problem in that regard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Which QBs has Sanchez successfully helped groom? Are we crediting him with Dak now?
As you pointed out in your link, the problem with Kaep is the concern that the starting quarterback is looking over his shoulder waiting to be pulled from the game because Kaepernick is a "starting NFL quarterback".

Sanchez isn't TOO GOOD for the Bears to sign. Kaepernick was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Don Tiny wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Why didn't they just make Sanchez Asst. QB Coach? That wasn't directed at you, Don. Just asking in general.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
That's an interesting last paragraph for sure.

Quote:
Instead, the Seahawks have made the strategic decision not to add a player they regard as starting-caliber because they have a starter. While that could change if their starter suffers a serious injury, the reluctance of a team driven by competition to embrace a competitive option seems odd — unless the Seahawks don’t want to have an in-house option to which the Russell Wilson Resenters can point if/when he struggles during the regular season.
I'll go with that and assume that my scenario above about Kaepernick being "too good" to sign is legit.
So, I guess we can take at least 25 teams off the list of teams that are blackballing him because they have a starter they don't want looking over his shoulder. That is quite helpful to my argument.

So, that leaves by my count:
Jaguars: Tanking/Giving Bortles one last chance to show that one great season wasn't a fluke
49ers: Kaepernick already turned them down
Jets: Tanking
Browns: Drafted a rookie QB
Broncos: Maybe a case could be made but they do need to see what Paxton Lynch, who they traded up for, is worth
Texans: We have a winner!

Thanks for posting.

So, the Texans passed on Kaepernick. They were the only logical team. The Broncos maybe would have been a choice but they had a young high draft pick at quarterback and another one that proved competent.
I'm glad to see you agree that your Bleacher Report article was not in fact "good enough," particularly since the reporter in question retracted his comments.

As for the the other teams, I was unaware they were so deferential to the Seahawks' player evaluations. Perhaps the NFL shouldn't hold open combines, but just trust Pete Carroll's opinions from private workouts and go from there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:18 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I'm glad to see you agree that your Bleacher Report article was not in fact "good enough," particularly since the reporter in question retracted his comments.
Where did he retract his comments?

ZephMarshack wrote:
As for the the other teams, I was unaware they were so deferential to the Seahawks' player evaluations. Perhaps the NFL shouldn't hold open combines, but just trust Pete Carroll's opinions from private workouts and go from there!
What? If Pete Carroll can use that excuse why can't the other teams?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Where did he retract his comments?
In my second link he explicitly says they never exchanged formal offers.

Quote:
What? If Pete Carroll can use that excuse why can't the other teams?

Uh cause Carroll actually saw Kapernick work out to arrive at that evaluation? And because Russell Wilson is a higher quality starting quarterback than most in the league and the Seahawks have specific locker room issues surrounding his perception by Sherman and the defense that don't apply to every other team in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:44 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Neither one of them has any business trying to groom a QB. Why are some of you acting like Kaepernick was some sort of franchise changing QB? He was middling to bad at best, and the 49ers got to that damn Super Bowl on the back of Frank Gore, and the defense...fucking hell. Alex Smith started 9 god damn games for that stupid ass team, anyway.

This is like arguing that Rex fucking Grossman was an elite franchise QB.

No one is saying he was an elite QB. Simply that IF money is not the issue, then there is no excuse for him not being on an NFL team if he wants to play football.

People on both sides are assuming things and it gets messy. One side says he was offered a contract and turned it down. That he rather play the victim card then throw a pass. The other side says no proof of a contract was offered and he is being blackballed from the NFL because of his protest.

I am on the side that thinks he is being blackballed from the NFL and it doesn't matter if he is Rex Grossman or Warren Moon. He should not be shunned for protesting.

On the flip side, the owners have a right to not sign him if they choose that option. But then we have a right to call them out for it and not support their product.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next