It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
FavreFan wrote:
Game score is one of the dumbest sports related concepts ever.

As bad as ERA, Pitching Wins, and OPS+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Please explain how a pitcher COULD have had a perfect game with a hit batsman.

If a pitcher retires 27 batsmen (or more, if the game goes into extras) in a row without any of them reaching base via any method, he gets awarded a perfect game.

Always happy to explain baseball to you, Frank Frenchtoast.
1) According to the update I heard on The Score this morning, MLB no longer recognizes games that go into extra innings as a perfect game, or a no hitter.

2) I was talking to Juiced, who falsely claimed that Kerry Wood might have had a perfect game against the Astros in '98 if he had a better defense behind him. Clearly he doesn't remember that Kerry Wood hit a batter in that 20K game, thus the absolute best he could have done was get a no hitter. You were so concerned with "explaining" baseball to me, as well as a horribly unfunny breakfast pun, you didn't even bother to read the two or three posts before yours.

3) You have made yourself look completely foolish in this thread more than once. I might suggest you take a break from this section for a while, but I'm also looking forward to what utterly moronic thing you are going to post next. Because I know you will. You don't have it in you to walk away from this thread, and leave this complete and total thrashing be the last reply.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
1) According to the update I heard on The Score this morning, MLB no longer recognizes games that go into extra innings as a perfect game, or a no hitter.

You have to finish it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Then IMU is wrong. Shocking.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
"finish what?" - Trig

"you'll know when it happens." - Frank

#anhistoryofbaseball

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

Definition of generic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

How am I wrong. Rich Hill could have gotten a no hitter if he pitched 10 no hit innings and the Dodgers won. Or 11 or 18 or however many innings. As my post said, 27 or more hitters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

How am I wrong. Rich Hill could have gotten a no hitter if he pitched 10 no hit innings and the Dodgers won. Or 11 or 18 or however many innings. As my post said, 27 or more hitters.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

Its ok, IMU. Anytime you need something about baseball explained, you just ask me. I'll be more than happy to walk you thru it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
You are trying to pull me into Juiced's argument. You won't. You take that up with him. Cubs fans aren't a hivemind like Sox fans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Uh...what?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
leashyourkids wrote:
"finish what?" - Trig

"you'll know when it happens." - Frank

#anhistoryofbaseball

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
rogers park bryan wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Uh...what?

Yeah, I knew Boyd was "special " when I read his Vince Young thoughts but this is just as dumb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Have you researched it enough to have that opinion?

I haven't

I don't know what this means. I know what it is, so I guess the answer is yes.

Yeah I know what it is too and the basic tenets of it but I don't know the story of why they came up with it and how they came up with the numbers I guess you could come up with a conclusion but I think if you did some research you can come up with a better more informed conclusion

You can always have a better more informed opinion on everything. I'm comfortable with mine on this topic. Anything arguing imperfect is better than perfect is pretty severely flawed.

It's judging the performance not the result.

I mean a perfect game could technically be 27 rockets robbed from home runs by the outfield.

I think saying that type of performance is better than striking out 26 with a groundout and a hbp is wrong.

But the whole point of these advance stars os to project the future, not judge the past. So you like the 20k guy more than the guy who pitched well but got a lot of luck and or defense behind them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm 

Good luck convincing Sox fans that nuance exists in baseball/life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:31 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

You can't just say some dumb shit and then call it nuance.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's better than saying dumb shit and calling it a good thought. Ah-hem!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Have you researched it enough to have that opinion?

I haven't

I don't know what this means. I know what it is, so I guess the answer is yes.

Yeah I know what it is too and the basic tenets of it but I don't know the story of why they came up with it and how they came up with the numbers I guess you could come up with a conclusion but I think if you did some research you can come up with a better more informed conclusion

You can always have a better more informed opinion on everything. I'm comfortable with mine on this topic. Anything arguing imperfect is better than perfect is pretty severely flawed.

It's judging the performance not the result.

I mean a perfect game could technically be 27 rockets robbed from home runs by the outfield.

I think saying that type of performance is better than striking out 26 with a groundout and a hbp is wrong.

But the whole point of these advance stars os to project the future, not judge the past. So you like the 20k guy more than the guy who pitched well but got a lot of luck and or defense behind them.

This reminds me of when people ask jorr about a pitcher who is like 0-14 with a 1.00 ERA. Show me when that happens and I'll respond then. You shouldn't have to come up with outlandish scenarios to defend an argument

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 pm 

My scenario explains perfectly why results do not always line up equally with performance.

Especially since the results are tied to other players (defense, opponent) and we're trying to judge a single performance.

In your belief system, Willie Harris making a great catch made Buehrles performance better than guys who had worse fielders behind them make errors late in perfect games on routine grounders, which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
My scenario explains perfectly why results do not always line up equally with performance.

Especially since the results are tied to other players (defense, opponent) and we're trying to judge a single performance.

In your belief system, Willie Harris making a great catch made Buehrles performance better than guys who had worse fielders behind them make errors late in perfect games on routine grounders, which is ridiculous.

Dewayne Wise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Dewayne Wise

Oh man. And after I mocked the MANY times announcers mixed up Heyward and Fowler last year :oops:

Harris scored the most important run in White Sox history though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Dewayne Wise

Oh man. And after I mocked the MANY times announcers mixed up Heyward and Fowler last year :oops:

Yes. White Sox hero.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
That is certainly not true with gamescore. Gamescore exists to score how well a pitcher pitched in a given game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 am 

Wrong thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

If you take it further though it could have been on that same catch that the batter closed his eyes and swung randomly and got incredibly lucky on a great pitch. That's why it is better to judge the result.

We should take it a step further and not even look at the result of a pitch. Just look at position and velocity and determine what is good and bad. Then do the same for batters in how good they swung. Ignore strikes and balls and hits and home runs as neither can control 100% of the pitching matchup. Or we could just watch darts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Dewayne Wise

Yes. White Sox hero.

What about Dewan Day?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
It's better than saying dumb shit and calling it a good thought. Ah-hem!
:lol: Oh leash.

You know what is real dumb shit? Saying "could have" or "if X had happened" or "Might have" as your argument against what actually happened during a ballgame.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

If you take it further though it could have been on that same catch that the batter closed his eyes and swung randomly and got incredibly lucky on a great pitch. That's why it is better to judge the result.

We should take it a step further and not even look at the result of a pitch. Just look at position and velocity and determine what is good and bad. Then do the same for batters in how good they swung. Ignore strikes and balls and hits and home runs as neither can control 100% of the pitching matchup. Or we could just watch darts.

Sounds good. Happy Friday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Sounds good. Happy Friday.
Same to you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

FWIW, I disagree with what RPB is saying (for the most part). But I'm at least willing to listen to his argument rather than throwing my hands up and saying "nope! dumbest statistic ever made!" without really even knowing what I'm talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next