It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?

Move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's

The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:26 am 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

Luckily the tile was glued to plywood which was glued to the hardwood, and we were able to get all the upper layers off the floor. All we have now is hardwood with black glue on top.

Our original thought was to buy a solution to spread on the glue to help remove it. We'd like to still go with that option assuming we don't need to go the whole hazmat route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Light it on fire.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
So obviously I think I am going to die now.

Can I have your golf clubs?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
You're probably fine, but I would have a professional do it. You want it removed properly, and you want someone who is bonded and insured to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Are you going to sand and refinish it yourself? If not don't mention the black glue and let the guy who is going to sand and refinish it remove it. You may want to wait a month or 2 because carpenters aren't hungry yet. This summer has been very good to them.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Are you going to sand and refinish it yourself? If not don't mention the black glue and let the guy who is going to sand and refinish it remove it. You may want to wait a month or 2 because carpenters aren't hungry yet. This summer has been very good to them.

We were planning on doing it ourselves. However, plan B is to cover it with new tile, although the preference would be to refinish the original hardwood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

We were planning on doing it ourselves. However, plan B is to cover it with new tile, although the preference would be to refinish the original hardwood.

You're fine doing it yourself. Slap the person who covered the hardwood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm 

Removing Black Type Folks from Elmhurst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

Have FarveFan cook a pizza when you are out of the house. Either the glue or the house will be gone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Seacrest wrote:

I would suggest paying for the test and also paying for the removal if needed. This isn't something to play around with. Further, if you ever sell the house you can show the buyer that you've removed the hazard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
yeah, that stuff should just sand right off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I would suggest paying for the test and also paying for the removal if needed. This isn't something to play around with. Further, if you ever sell the house you can show the buyer that you've removed the hazard.

WORST. ADVICE. EVER.

Don't EVER get someone involved in a possible haz waste situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

WORST. ADVICE. EVER.

Don't EVER get someone involved in a possible haz waste situation.

Unless you want to see your home value decline dramatically.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
yeah, that stuff should just sand right off.

I feel like there is malice behind this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Wine Fridge! Horse!

(Sorry, wrong guy.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Leave your garden hose running in a window well and let it flood your basement. Your insurance company will then have to take care of both the testing and remediation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Black Glues Matter.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Seacrest wrote:

#FakeNews

Adhesive absolutely had asbestos in it.

Don't worry, it won't hurt for another 25-30 years or so...