It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegas Raiders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
newper wrote:
FAA gives thumbs up to stadium plans.

Hope it fails somewhere along the way anyway. It's a completely terrible idea. Fuck Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Anything that speeds the demise of the NFL is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
It's hard for to determine how to rank in order of dumbness moving the Chargers to LA, moving the Rams to the LA, moving the 49ers to Santa Clara, and moving the Raiders to Las Vegas. I guess the Rams get some slack just because there was at least something of a fanbase there left over from the 90s, but any time Stan Kroenke made the least objectionable move, you know there was a ton of stupidity going on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
It's hard for to determine how to rank in order of dumbness moving the Chargers to LA, moving the Rams to the LA, moving the 49ers to Santa Clara, and moving the Raiders to Las Vegas. I guess the Rams get some slack just because there was at least something of a fanbase there left over from the 90s, but any time Stan Kroenke made the least objectionable move, you know there was a ton of stupidity going on.

Rams have worse attendance than the White Sox in LA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
ZephMarshack wrote:

Raiders to Vegas cements the argument that people aren't actually supposed to watch NFL games in person. So perhaps not dumbest move but most cynical move I think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

The counterpoint though is that they had decent attendance last year. Opening day attendance sucked because they ended up subjecting most fans last year to some of the most appalling football in the league. I expect the Chargers by contrast to have mediocre attendance right out of the gate because they have no connection at all to LA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:55 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

The counterpoint though is that they had decent attendance last year. Opening day attendance sucked because they ended up subjecting most fans last year to some of the most appalling football in the league. I expect the Chargers by contrast to have mediocre attendance right out of the gate because they have no connection at all to LA.

They are playing in a soccer stadium, so they have an excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:

Moving the Rams to Los Angeles wasn't dumb at all. I think it's easy to lose sight of how dire things were when they left (though how much of that was Kroenke engineering the team's failure is up for debate. I'm pretty sure the rot set in well before Frontiere died -- I think 2007 was the beginning of the end of giving a shit about football in St. Louis). The Edward Jones Dome was an atrocious place for football that had no business being open in 2015 and beyond, and St. Louis was probably overextended as a sports market just with three teams -- the Rams and Blues took turns teetering on the edge of oblivion pretty much the whole time the Rams were there. Replacing the Dome would have cost public money that St. Louis City and the state didn't have. In all honesty, they never should have gone to St. Louis to begin with. I know Michael McCaskey voted against relocation, one of his rare smart decisions.

From there, it's a photo finish between Santa Clara and Las Vegas, with the Chargers' move to Los Angeles via a soccer stadium in Carson being the dumbest, shittiest, greediest relocation in the history of sports.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Moving the Rams to Los Angeles wasn't dumb at all. I think it's easy to lose sight of how dire things were when they left (though how much of that was Kroenke engineering the team's failure is up for debate. I'm pretty sure the rot set in well before Frontiere died -- I think 2007 was the beginning of the end of giving a shit about football in St. Louis). The Edward Jones Dome was an atrocious place for football that had no business being open in 2015 and beyond, and St. Louis was probably overextended as a sports market just with three teams -- the Rams and Blues took turns teetering on the edge of oblivion pretty much the whole time the Rams were there. Replacing the Dome would have cost public money that St. Louis City and the state didn't have. In all honesty, they never should have gone to St. Louis to begin with. I know Michael McCaskey voted against relocation, one of his rare smart decisions.

From there, it's a photo finish between Santa Clara and Las Vegas, with the Chargers' move to Los Angeles via a soccer stadium in Carson being the dumbest, shittiest, greediest relocation in the history of sports.

Kroenke is privately financing the stadium in LA. So, no real need to leave St. Louis if he didn't want to. $2B goes a lot further in Missouri than LA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 pm 

Yeah he wanted to and it was the right move. Either the Rams or Blues was going to have to go and I'm glad it was the Rams.

EDIT: another strike against the St. Louis Rams was that they were never able to expand their footprint the way the Cardinals did. The Cardinals are a truly regional team while the Blues and Rams never really gained a foothold past St. Charles or the Metro-East, in the case of the Blues because American NHL interest tends to drop off a cliff when you're not in driving distance of the arena, in the case of the Rams because people stayed loyal to the Chiefs or Bears or I guess even the Colts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

RAIDERSSSSS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Curious Hair wrote:
RAIDERSSSSS

Carr + Crabtree = SB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
RAIDERS!

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 am 

You guys going to be ok when the Las Vegas Raiders do ok and it doesn't change your lives at all because you don't live in Oakland or Vegas and most of you aren't Raiders fans and I'm pretty sure that CH is barely even a football fan and only really comes into football threads to say the Bears have been bad since 1985?

But hey, Oakland is a great sports town and clearly San Francisco needs two teams while a much bigger population center like Chicago only needs one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You guys going to be ok when the Las Vegas Raiders do ok and it doesn't change your lives at all because you don't live in Oakland or Vegas and most of you aren't Raiders fans and I'm pretty sure that CH is barely even a football fan and only really comes into football threads to say the Bears have been bad since 1985?

But hey, Oakland is a great sports town and clearly San Francisco needs two teams while a much bigger population center like Chicago only needs one.

Chiefs will take care of them

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It probably won't happen, but how great would it be if the NFL shoved it up the McCaskeys' ass and moved another team to Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It probably won't happen, but how great would it be if the NFL shoved it up the McCaskeys' ass and moved another team to Chicago?

If it ever happened, somehow Reinsdorf would end up being the owner and we'd all still lose anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don't know about the Raiders ever coming but I guaranteed rate you that the Chargers would have drawn better than they did yesterday in Sox Park.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I don't know about the Raiders ever coming but I guaranteed rate you that the Chargers would have drawn better than they did yesterday in Sox Park.

That, plus the Rams game still drew less than the USC game did Saturday night

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
If they were ever going to re-locate a team here, now is the time. If they keep up with 3-5 win seasons, you are going to lose a generation of fans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
If they were ever going to re-locate a team here, now is the time. If they keep up with 3-5 win seasons, you are going to lose a generation of fans.

For perspective: kids who started high school this year haven't seen the Bears in a playoff game since they were in 2nd grade and were preschoolers when the Bears lost the Super Bowl. This is a lost generation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Chiefs will take care of them

The Broncos are the best team in that division.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

For perspective: kids who started high school this year haven't seen the Bears in a playoff game since they were in 2nd grade and were preschoolers when the Bears lost the Super Bowl. This is a lost generation.

I didn't realize it was that dire. I don't really recall much prior to the Curtis Enis draft. Whenever that was, that was about the time I remember watching week in and week out. I was probably 14 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
That is pretty bad. But you are right, I don't think my kids have seen a decent team except my daughter but she was completely unaware of the super bowl year. Was easy to be s fan growing up in 80's, this century, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 am 

the 90's bears had some atrocious years too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 am 

W_Z wrote:

A big reason I always had trouble living and dying with the Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 am 

W_Z wrote:

I'm pretty sure the entire decade of the 90's was atrocious for the Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:31 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
W_Z wrote:

A big reason I always had trouble living and dying with the Bears.

Says the huge Blackhawks fan. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That, plus the Rams game still drew less than the USC game did Saturday night

Two NFL games on Sunday in LA and together they were outdrawn by the USC game on Saturday might. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am 

The Chargers situation is even more of a disaster than I thought it would be. They can't sell out an MLS stadium! Two teams in Los Angeles was a huge mistake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next