It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: LaVar Ball
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:05 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
What exactly are the NCAA rules when you yourself are an owner (or part owner) of a company? Let's say you have a small business while you are in college, can you not profit off of your own work as a student-athlete? Does NCAA ban you from having a job? I don't see how they could do that.
If the business is related to his athletic performance then you can't.

His business is related to shoes, not athletic performance.
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/07/lamelo-ball-big-baller-brand-ucla-ncaa-nba-lavar-ball-lonzo-ball

One thing is for certain. It's hard to win against the NCAA.

I still wonder what's going on behind the scenes that would provoke pulling LaMelo from school.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:08 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Something is going on behind the scenes with LaMelo would be my first guess here.

The Ball wall is starting to crumble.
They were likely going to be declared ineligible because the dad is a moron.

I thought that was if he were profiting from the shoe in college? Idk the exact rule, but I think it's ok to profit from it in high school.

What exactly are the NCAA rules when you yourself are an owner (or part owner) of a company? Let's say you have a small business while you are in college, can you not profit off of your own work as a student-athlete? Does NCAA ban you from having a job? I don't see how they could do that.

The MASTERS can do whatever they want

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Something is going on behind the scenes with LaMelo would be my first guess here.

The Ball wall is starting to crumble.
They were likely going to be declared ineligible because the dad is a moron.

I thought that was if he were profiting from the shoe in college? Idk the exact rule, but I think it's ok to profit from it in high school.

The MASTERS can do whatever they want

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... story.html

Quote:
De La Haye’s YouTube channel has more than 95,500 subscribers. Earlier this year, UCF began investigating whether his videos violated the NCAA’s rules prohibiting student-athletes from making money off of their images. The university sent a waiver to the NCAA on De La Haye’s behalf, according to statements released by UCF and the NCAA.

“The waiver, which was granted, stated De La Haye could maintain his eligibility and continue to monetize videos that did not reference his status as a student-athlete or depict his football skill or ability," UCF said in its statement. "The waiver also allowed him to create videos that referenced his status as a student-athlete or depict his football skill or ability if they were posted to a non-monetized account. De La Haye chose not to accept the conditions of the waiver and has therefore been ruled ineligible to compete in NCAA-sanctioned competition. UCF Athletics wishes him the best in his future endeavors.”\

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
If the business is related to his athletic performance then you can't.

His business is related to shoes, not athletic performance.
:lol:

I'm not sure why this is funny. What if his shoe company was making crocs instead? As long as the kid isn't appearing in commercials for the product, then I don't see the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I'm not sure why this is funny. What if his shoe company was making crocs instead? As long as the kid isn't appearing in commercials for the product, then I don't see the problem.
Are you going to argue that the selling of athletic shoes has nothing to do with the athletic performance of the athlete endorsing the shoe? Why do athletic shoe companies give millions to NBA players just to wear them?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:17 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/07/lamelo-ball-big-baller-brand-ucla-ncaa-nba-lavar-ball-lonzo-ball

I still wonder what's going on behind the scenes that would provoke pulling LaMelo from school.

Well the new coach told him he would not be able to stand in the corner, refuse to play defense and jack up 50 shots a game. Lavar did not like that.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Are you going to argue that the selling of athletic shoes has nothing to do with the athletic performance of the athlete endorsing the shoe? Why do athletic shoe companies give millions to NBA players just to wear them?

But who cares? These coaches and administrators live like kings and the athlete can't even sell their likeness?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

But who cares? These coaches and administrators live like kings and the athlete can't even sell their likeness?

I think they should be able to also. It still doesn't change the rule currently though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I think they should be able to also. It still doesn't change the rule currently though.

Oh, I misunderstood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Well the new coach told him he would not be able to stand in the corner, refuse to play defense and jack up 50 shots a game. Lavar did not like that.

I didn't find a quote of the coach saying that, but I did see a Lavar quote saying the new coach didn't like any of the players who train at his house.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
312player wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Pulled LaMelo out of school. Says he will home school ( :roll: ) him and train him for the next two years.

I hope the whole family dies of carbon monoxide poisoning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm 

Can not wait until he starts ripping UCLA this season.

Wayne Joseph, the superintendent of the Chino Valley Unified School District, said Tuesday that LaVar Ball had asked Chino Hills coach Dennis Latimore and principal Isabel Brenes to put four players on the varsity basketball team earlier this year. Both refused.

"Now Mr. Ball has decided to take his kid out of Chino Hills," Joseph said. "We respect his decision. He and his wife have done a magnificent job with their kids."

LaVar Ball announced Monday that he would home-school his youngest son, LaMelo, a 16-year-old junior. Brothers Lonzo and LiAngelo now play for the Lakers and UCLA, respectively.

Joseph said that several months ago, Ball approached Latimore, a first-year coach and the third coach in three years at Chino Hills. "He suggested he put four or five kids on varsity," Joseph said.

The superintendent said Latimore went to the principal, Brenes, who then called Joseph.

"I said, 'Listen, this is the coach's decision,'" Joseph said. "Mr. Ball is not the coach."

LaVar Ball said he will train LaMelo himself and let him play in travel ball during the spring and summer.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Third coach in three years :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm 

This may also provide cover to the fact that neither brother is nearly as good as Lonzo. That can change as they are still young but if not for the last name I'm not sure either one would project to the NBA at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 pm 

312player wrote:
Third coach in three years :lol:

I've seen how some parents act for B&C level 12U travel softball. I can't imagine what a coach at one of the basketball factory type high schools deal with. Could say 6th coach in 3 years and I might believe it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Daddy Ball don't seem right in the head. If his son's don't give him shit,good for the Principal and Coaches for standing up to that moron.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:41 am 

At what point are people going to tire of Ball and the constant sideshow? Read the other day where he had a line of people waiting to sign his autograph. I don't much pay attention to the stories surrounding him but if you are watching a game involving his son then his name invariably pops up.

I think this kid is ranked #7 in his class so I'm sure he is in some NBA radars. I haven't followed anything about him. His development as a basketball player and student is going to be effected by this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He has replaced Todd Marinovich's Dad as the worst sports parent ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:48 am 

long time guy wrote:
At what point are people going to tire of Ball and the constant sideshow? Read the other day where he had a line of people waiting to sign his autograph. I don't much pay attention to the stories surrounding him but if you are watching a game involving his son then his name invariably pops up.

I think this kid is ranked #7 in his class so I'm sure he is in some NBA radars. I haven't followed anything about him. His development as a basketball player and student is going to be effected by this.

Yeah, I don't think this helps LaMelo at all. "Training" is not even close to the same as developing through live games against real competition. Lavar is fucking up big time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yeah, I don't think this helps LaMelo at all. "Training" is not even close to the same as developing through live games against real competition. Lavar is fucking up big time.

I can see him shipping him to a prep school at some point. I think he overreached this time. Two years of training makes very little sense. He probably thinks AAU games in conjunction with training will be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I can see him shipping him to a prep school at some point. I think he overreached this time. Two years of training makes very little sense. He probably thinks AAU games in conjunction with training will be enough.

Should ship him to barber school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Is there not enough club ball or AAU to keep him busy?

I know in some sports high school kids are choosing elite travel programs over school teams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I know in some sports high school kids are choosing elite travel programs over school teams.

That's what he will have him doing. Lavar Ball runs an AAU program. AAU isn't the same from a competitive standpoint. He'd be better off sending him to one of the big time prep schools. One of the big time prep schools that play nothing but big time prep schools. If that were to happen then he would have a better chance of being able to evaluate his son. The problem would once again be Lavar however. Schools such as these tend to be loaded with high major kids that are potential NBA players. His son wouldn't be featured as much because they'd have guys that are better. Once this occurs Lavar would undoubtedly blow a gasket.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
long time guy wrote:

That's what he will have him doing. Lavar Ball runs an AAU program. AAU isn't the same from a competitive standpoint. He'd be better off sending to him to one of those big time prep schools that play nothing but big time prep schools. If that were to happen then he could have a better chance at being able to evaluate his son. The problem would once again be Lavar however. Schools such as these tend to be loaded with high major kids that are potential NBA players. His son wouldn't be featured as much because they'd have guys that are better. Once this occurs Lavar would undoubtedly blow a gasket.

I guess Lavar will need to start his own prep school.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Big Chicagoan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's what he will have him doing. Lavar Ball runs an AAU program. AAU isn't the same from a competitive standpoint. He'd be better off sending to him to one of those big time prep schools that play nothing but big time prep schools. If that were to happen then he could have a better chance at being able to evaluate his son. The problem would once again be Lavar however. Schools such as these tend to be loaded with high major kids that are potential NBA players. His son wouldn't be featured as much because they'd have guys that are better. Once this occurs Lavar would undoubtedly blow a gasket.

I guess Lavar will need to start his own prep school.

Big baller Academy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There is no decent AAU basketball during the season for high school kids. The good AAU teams have become "prep schools" and travel the country playing games. Lavar will have to start his own prep school if he wants his son to do what ever he wants. That or enroll him at a shit school with a puppet coach.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Is Andy Reid in the discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: *
denisdman wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Is Andy Reid in the discussion?

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

I think a number of tennis players might disagree with that. Mary Pierce's father was banned from every WTA event and she had to take out a restraining order against him.

Or how about Jelena Dokic's father. He was ejected from the US Open and Wimbledon at different times. He also served time in prison for threatening to assassinate the Australian ambassador to Serbia. And he said that if he found out if his daughter is a lesbian, he would kill himself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next