It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wild Card tweaks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am 

1 game. I like the winner take all one game playoff. I don't want to invest more then one game to a wildcard team I don't follow. Would not watch the Twins vs Yankees if it was a 3-5 game wildcard series. Leave it the way it is and switch to automatic strikezones! These umps are horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
It would be some bullshit to have the 2 wild card teams tie at 88 wins and force 1 to win a double header on the road.

I think you're mixing a couple ideas here but as for the top seed needs 1 win, lower seed needs 2, Ive seen it suggested that you only enact this when there is a 5 game lead or more.

I was referring to the doubleheader with away having to win 2 under any circumstance. Anything that changes the set up based on the final rankings is pedantic and tiresome.

Is the next step to penalize a 86 game division winner when the wild card has won over 97 games? NO. Win your division, welcome to the divisional. Wild card team, win your game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
It would be some bullshit to have the 2 wild card teams tie at 88 wins and force 1 to win a double header on the road.

I think you're mixing a couple ideas here but as for the top seed needs 1 win, lower seed needs 2, Ive seen it suggested that you only enact this when there is a 5 game lead or more.

I was referring to the doubleheader with away having to win 2 under any circumstance. Anything that changes the set up based on the final rankings is pedantic and tiresome.

Is the next step to penalize a 86 game division winner when the wild card has won over 97 games? NO. Win your division, welcome to the divisional. Wild card team, win your game.

That's been suggested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

That's been suggested.

I know, and I flushed that turd down the toilet as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 am 

I like how it is now.

I love the Double Header in the post season idea though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I like how it is now.

I love the Double Header in the post season idea though.

I just suggested that in the rare case where a one game playoff tiebreaker is needed.

Monday - One game playoff tiebreaker is played to see who gets into wild card round.
Tuesday - Double-Header (Games 1 & 2 of Wild Card Round)
Wednesday - Game 3 of Wild Card Round (If necessary)
Thursday- Start real playoffs

In the scenario where a one game playoff/tiebreaker is not needed, you just schedule the 3 games for the wild card round on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The only other scenario I think would be good is if you had just one WC team but then gave the division winner a one-game head start (so they would start the best-of-seven series up 1 game to 0).

In a thread full of bad ideas, this might be the worst.

Japan already does this.

Nobody cares.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juiced wrote:
1 game. I like the winner take all one game playoff. I don't want to invest more then one game to a wildcard team I don't follow. Would not watch the Twins vs Yankees if it was a 3-5 game wildcard series

Good point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Make the wild card a best of 5 but have it all on one day. Gotta punish these chumps so they have no pitchers available for the division series. Also they have to play it at the stadium of the division winner they're going to play so they can start the next series immediately without taking a travel day. Steak dinner boom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

If they must have days off to travel (pussies) then doubleheader for game 1 and 2, so they still have to use 4 pitchers at least

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ken Rosenthal wrote:
The reservations many fans, players, and executives share about a 162-game season boiling down to a one-game play-in will burst out, fueling coast-to-coast debate and setting social media aflame.

The problem is, regardless what you do, the 162-game season often boils down to one game. So what? Win that fucking game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ken Rosenthal wrote:
The reservations many fans, players, and executives share about a 162-game season boiling down to a one-game play-in will burst out, fueling coast-to-coast debate and setting social media aflame.

The problem is, regardless what you do, the 162-game season often boils down to one game. So what? Win that fucking game.

It kinda does but it doesn't. The World Series went to a Game 7 but the Indians had 3 chances to close it out.

Any series that reaches a winner take all could have been won earlier so not TRULY one game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
They need to eliminate the Wild Card. If a team does not win its division, it should not make the postseason.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
One game playoffs are so NFL

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ken Rosenthal wrote:

It kinda does but it doesn't. The World Series went to a Game 7 but the Indians had 3 chances to close it out.

Any series that reaches a winner take all could have been won earlier so not TRULY one game.

Yeah but I think what JORR is saying is that after 162 games, the WC round should be thought more of as a short extension of the regular season. If the Rockies fall one game short after game 163, should we feel worse for them than the Brewers, who finished one game short after 162?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Go back to the way it was. 3 division winners, one wild card. Top seed plays the Wild Card regardless of if that team is from their division or not.

Agreed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Go back to the way it really was best team in the NL vs. best in the AL

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Also no gloves and you had to take a train between cities.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:00 pm 

No more colored people either.

Seriously, this is perfect how it is right now. Shat up. Go ruin some other sport with your shit ideas, people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
KDdidit wrote:
Also no gloves and you had to take a train between cities.

:lol:

No lights so all daygames, and no TV radio only.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Cancel the playoffs. Declare the champion to be the one who wins the most regular season games.

Good, but no extra innings games... ties worth half a win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
The 1 game playoff is awesome.

The only reason people are discussing this is because god forbid the Yankees lose tonight. Same thing happened with the Cubs in 15 until they won it and then everyone stopped talking about it. No one talked about it last season.

It's partially the Yankee thing but also the disparity between the teams. This is the first year in a while that it's been more than 1-2 games.

Here is what Rosenthal wrote. I love the doubleheader idea, that's great.

Rosenthal: If Yankees or D-Backs lose, expect wild-card outrage—and calls for change; more news and notes

Ken Rosenthal
1 hour ago
Hoo boy, imagine the reaction if the heavily-favored New York Yankees lose the American League wild-card game to the Minnesota Twins tonight. The reservations many fans, players, and executives share about a 162-game season boiling down to a one-game play-in will burst out, fueling coast-to-coast debate and setting social media aflame.

Baseball would face immediate pressure to expand the wild-card round and prevent other superior regular-season teams from suffering similar fates. A new format also could include what Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz and many others in the game believe is necessary—a fairer, more rigorous wild-card round that would ultimately provide a greater reward for division champions.

Fans outside of New York would howl in protest over a so-called “Yankee rule,” accusing baseball of kowtowing to the television networks that, in search of higher ratings, want to show the Yankees as often as possible. I work for one of those networks, FOX, and yes, business is better when the Yankees are involved. But outrage will be just as warranted if the Arizona Diamondbacks lose to the Colorado Rockies in the National League wild-card game on Wednesday night.

Both the Yankees and D-Backs won six more regular-season games than their wild-card opponents—the Yankees finished with 91 victories, the Twins 85; the D-Backs had 93 wins, the Rockies 87. Only once since the inception of the wild-card round in 2012 has the spread between wild-card opponents been as large, when the Atlanta Braves won 94 games to the St. Louis Cardinals’ 88 that first year, and lost the one-game knockout, 6-3.

In each of the past six wild-card games—one in each league over the last three years—the difference in victories between the wild-card opponents has been one or zero. No real disparity, no cause for complaint. But the other issue with the wild-card game—that it is not enough of a hindrance for the participants—is a constant concern no matter what the final standings say.

Travis Sawchik of The Athletic recently wrote on Fangraphs about the two-game, wild-card round used by the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO); the higher seed needs to win only one game to advance, while the lower seed must win two. Joel Sherman of the New York Post expanded the concept, arguing for the wild-card round to remain one game only if the participants finished within four games of each other; otherwise, the round would follow the Korean format, giving the superior team the edge yet preserving drama for the networks.

Neither concept would extend the postseason, particularly if baseball employed a doubleheader and play the two games in one day. Smoltz, FOX’s lead analyst, offers additional suggestions—a best-of-three with a doubleheader on the second day or a best-of-three played on consecutive days. Either way, the off-day before the start of the Division Series would be removed, putting the wild-card winner at a major disadvantage with its pitching for the next round.

Think about it: If the Twins eliminated the Yankees by beating them twice, no one could rightly say the Yankees did not have a good enough opportunity to win. But if the Twins win a one-game elimination and/or the Rockies knock off the D-Backs, complaints will be justified, and not just from the networks. A team with six more wins than its opponent in the regular season should get a bigger break in the wild-card round.

I know what some of you are thinking: Ken, you would not be writing this if it were the Rays playing the Twins and not the Yankees. I’d like to believe otherwise; the circumstances would be unfair no matter who was playing. If the Twins pull off the upset tonight baseball will get the uproar it deserves—and needs.

Is this article supposed to be taken seriously? Cuz I'm having some trouble with that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 pm 

It was written by a midget who wears a bowtie. Of course it's not meant to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Was that Judge Big Bat commercial dubbed by Pat Hughes? Sounded like he was in a tunnel...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
It was written by a midget who wears a bowtie. Of course it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Hey you won congrats, on to the next round, lol jk beat them again and then you can advance. It's literally a troll suggestion.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Hey you won congrats, on to the next round, lol jk beat them again and then you can advance. It's literally a troll suggestion.

Already done in soccer and every double elimination tournament ever.

Not that crazy.

There needs to be an advantage for winning your division vs the WC. But we have that now so it's fine.