It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Barstool caught some flak for supposedly encouraging harassment.

http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outle ... aiver.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Bogus controversy.

That woman is an attention whore for posting that clause.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Bogus controversy.

That woman is an attention whore for posting that clause.

I tend to agree.

It wasn't saying "this makes sexual harassment okay". It's saying "you're gonna hear some raunchy and offensive things on set so you can't sue us because you heard them."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am 

In the comments it is pointed out that this happened with a writer on friends who sued and lost because the content was part of the creative process.

I wonder where the good jokes went.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
There is no controversy here.

The contract is industry standard in writer's rooms. It basically says you acknowledge you will hear the type of comments in a writer's room as part of the creative process that would not be tolerated in any other work setting so you can't sue over comments made there.

SNL, the late night shows, etc. all have the same contract. Even left leaning comedy writers who would be sympathetic to a feminist are laughing at her for posting and complaining about this.

This is an invented controversy by a feminist who needs attention. Kudos to Pres for ripping her on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 am 

I'm also laughing at Deadspin for going all in on this one. They are so desperate after Barstool supplanted them as the #1 new media sports site. You can just feel the jealousy in their writing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am 

Also this dumb woman just torpedoed her career. No HR department will ever touch her again if she leaks and complains about something that amounts to an industry standard in comedy writing. She clearly did not think this one through.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Also this dumb woman just torpedoed her career. No HR department will ever touch her again if she leaks and complains about something that amounts to an industry standard in comedy writing. She clearly did not think this one through.

You know that's not true.

HuffPo will hire her to head up their sports division tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 am 

I've heard of things like this before. Is it legal?

Can you sign away any right you choose?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

it's not signing away your right to sue if you are actually harassed. It's signing away your right to sue if you hear lewd and vulgar content within the context of the writer's room.

It's 100% legal. Even before such clauses were instituted the California Supreme Court unanimously ruled such content to be perfectly legal and acceptable within a writer's room. The contracts were instituted after the Friends case to prevent it from even reaching that point again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

it's not signing away your right to sue if you are actually harassed. It's signing away your right to sue if you hear lewd and vulgar content within the context of the writer's room.

It's 100% legal. Even before such clauses were instituted the California Supreme Court unanimously ruled such content to be perfectly legal and acceptable within a writer's room. The contracts were instituted after the Friends case to prevent it from even reaching that point again.

Yeah well, Deadspin disagrees. I'll bet Joe Sheehan does too !!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I didnt mean Barstool. I mean, what if Harvey Weinstein gave his secretary a waiver that said I WILL SEXUALLY HARASS YOU its part of the job etc etc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I didnt mean Barstool. I mean, what if Harvey Weinstein gave his secretary a waiver that said I WILL SEXUALLY HARASS YOU its part of the job etc etc

yeah pretty sure you can't sign away your right to sue if you face what is actual criminal activity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am 

i don't think SNL has contracts like that...it shouldn't even be necessary but like the guy said, it's legal shit that they want to cover their ass for.

this chick is an absolute snake. she looks to be someone who is searching for anything she can to get her name out there. and these days, being the victim of something is huge news. so it definitely worked for her. her name's annoying too.

when you're in a writer's room, it should be an unspoken rule that you keep it between yourselves and anything goes. even if something goes too far, you should feel comfortable enough to speak up right then and there without fear of retribution.

toughen the fuck up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am 

W_Z wrote:
i don't think SNL has contracts like that...it shouldn't even be necessary but like the guy said, it's legal shit that they want to cover their ass for.

this chick is an absolute snake. she looks to be someone who is searching for anything she can to get her name out there. and these days, being the victim of something is huge news. so it definitely worked for her. her name's annoying too.

when you're in a writer's room, it should be an unspoken rule that you keep it between yourselves and anything goes. even if something goes too far, you should feel comfortable enough to speak up right then and there without fear of retribution.

toughen the fuck up.

A comedy writer on Twitter (who writes for Chelsea Handler) wrote that SNL has such a contract as well, as does uber-feminist Chelsea handler.

I think that unwritten rule stood until the Friends lawsuit. That suit is what led to the clauses being instituted regarding that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 am 

Ogie wishes he could be sexually harrased by a barstool writer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie wishes he could be sexually harrased by a barstool writer.

only if it's BigCat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am 

they just bought a bum fights company.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Kirkwood wrote:

Bring back the bum hunter!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah well, Deadspin disagrees. I'll bet Joe Sheehan does too !!

It makes me a bit sad just how pathetic Deadspin has become.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:

A bum fights company. This ain't the WWE, no one's the only game in town when it comes to bum fights.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Barstool Sports‏Verified account @barstoolsports

Emergency Press Conference - Barstool Gets It's Own @SiriusXM Channel

Julie should send her application and podcast archive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Barstool wins again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:18 pm 

SirTinkleButton wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Barstool wins again!

Yup .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
SirTinkleButton wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Barstool wins again!

Yup .

Barstool always wins, can't wait for January since I already have satellite radio in both cars and at home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 am 

Pres is looking to mock ESPN.

Dave Portnoy‏
@stoolpresidente
18h18 hours ago
. @espn I know you're having mass layoffs around holidays (sad).We just launched radio station. We may be able to save their Xmas.Let's talk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
A Barstool editor called a 16-year old cheerleader "hot": https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-ed ... 1821059645

To be fair, calling a 16-year old hot in a published blog is a little weird. Also to be fair, it seems like Deadspin staff spend more time sifting through Bartsool articles and comments than they do their own.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
A Barstool editor called a 16-year old cheerleader "hot": https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-ed ... 1821059645

To be fair, calling a 16-year old hot in a published blog is a little weird. Also to be fair, it seems like Deadspin staff spend more time sifting through Bartsool articles and comments than they do their own.

The article isnt half bad by deadspin standards, but that first comment is some white knight beta cuck shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

The article isnt half bad by deadspin standards, but that first comment is some white knight beta cuck shit.

"Hot" in certain contexts can be a little, aggressive, despite it's brevity. It's weird because "adorable" and "attractive" are very much closer to meaning literally "I want to have relations with that", but the latter two are more acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Deadspin is very clearly in it's death-throes. They are barely publishing anything anymore. The big pivot to politics is gratifying to the staff, but it's bad business. They are union blog (lmao at the concept) so it's become an inmates running the asylum situation.

I used to be a pretty avid reader of theirs and still check it daily out of habit. The cuts have been very stark. I don't know much longer it'll last unless they go full Magary & Co., which to a broad extent is already well underway.