It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Soda Tax
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
The tax was positioned similarly to other sin taxes (alcohol, tobacco, etc.) but when it was implemented, it was taxing things that arguably shouldn't have been included in the sin (the jury is still out on some of the artificial sweeteners), not taxing things that arguably should be included in the sin (why is 100% fruit juice not taxed when it is laden with sugar?), not taxing things in a logical way (the frappucino from Jewel's shelves are taxed, but the one you order from the Starbucks in the Jewel is not), and any regional taxation of a product that isn't taxed in neighboring regions is doomed to fail to hit the target numbers -- if you aren't going to raise the desired amount of revenue from the tax, then why implement the tax that way in the first place? Why not just raise sales tax another 1%? Even better, why not actually implement some government reforms and learn to do things more efficiently?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Good to see all the board Liberals tout one of the most regressive taxes ever concocted!
People on food stamps didn't pay it and it was easy to avoid by most people I was told!

No, the $10-15 an hour guy is bearing the brunt. The welfare man doesn't pay it and I can afford to spill it on the ground.

But that's standard operating procedure for the American Left who want to legislate some impossible dream world without any ramifications for themselves. Like Mark Zuckerberg living in a gated community with armed bodyguards while using the most powerful Internet platform in the world to rail against guns and a border wall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
People wonder why healthcare costs in this country are how they are.

"DON'T TAKE MY SODA AWAY OMG"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Good to see all the board Liberals tout one of the most regressive taxes ever concocted!
People on food stamps didn't pay it and it was easy to avoid by most people I was told!

No, the $10-15 an hour guy is bearing the brunt. The welfare man doesn't pay it and I can afford to spill it on the ground.

But that's standard operating procedure for the American Left who want to legislate some impossible dream world without any ramifications for themselves. Like Mark Zuckerberg living in a gated community with armed bodyguards while using the most powerful Internet platform in the world to rail against guns and a border wall.
I told you I was more liberal than you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Never understood the uproar around this. I cannot be sympathetic to people who need to pay a few cents extra to get their Mr. Pibb.

That's an elitist attitude straight out of the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook.

Saw a commercial the other day about a grieving mother who "has to drive to Indiana to get their soda." No lady, you don't. If buying soda is that big of a hit on your monthly budget, perhaps it's time to consider alternative beverage options. Like literally anything else.

Is that really what she says? You don't see her buying soda in the commercial, looks like juice or a sports drink.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I told you I was more liberal than you.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Furious Styles wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Never understood the uproar around this. I cannot be sympathetic to people who need to pay a few cents extra to get their Mr. Pibb.

That's an elitist attitude straight out of the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook.

Saw a commercial the other day about a grieving mother who "has to drive to Indiana to get their soda." No lady, you don't. If buying soda is that big of a hit on your monthly budget, perhaps it's time to consider alternative beverage options. Like literally anything else.

Is that really what she says? You don't see her buying soda in the commercial, looks like juice or a sports drink.

LIBERALS BEING FAKE NEWS!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Furious Styles wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well joke's on her then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Someone loves using divisive labels and Fox News.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I used to smoke cigarettes like a fuckin' maniac for over 15 years. When those prices skyrocketed, I quit. Because it's a possible thing to do if you don't want to pay for it.
I thought you quit because you got busted for dumping hazardous (Youth) waste?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Furious Styles wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Well joke's on her then.

So she doesn't say "has to drive to Indiana to get their soda?"

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Wasn't it all sugar drinks, juices and diet soda included?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Hank Scorpio wrote:

During the first week of the tax I paid on Orange Juice. Just plain orange juice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

During the first week of the tax I paid on Orange Juice. Just plain orange juice.

Sugar added. I paid on a sugar free coke in a cafeteria and for a drink at a drive thru.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

If it was 100% fruit juice, it was not supposed to be taxed. I am not sure on reconstitution and if that makes things different or not, or people just don't know what to charge... yet another major issue with this tax -- nobody can implement the damn thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
newper wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

If it was 100% fruit juice, it was not supposed to be taxed. I am not sure on reconstitution and if that makes things different or not, or people just don't know what to charge... yet another major issue with this tax -- nobody can implement the damn thing.

It was 100%. I didn't see it till I unpacked the groceries. I don't blame the Jewel cashier, but yes no one knows how to apply the tax properly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Its pretty clear ugie doesnt understand much about this issue.
The real reason people are upset about this, at least anyone who tries to understand the issue is the real reason for the tax. Not the bullshit reasons we've been given all along.
This had zero to do with health. It had nothing to do with diabetes. It had nothing to do with fat babies.
It was a straight up cash grab with the politicians knowing full well that most people, like ugie, are too damn dumb to see thru their subterfuge.
The county and the state are addicts. They must have more and more (we've been dancing with Mr. Brownstone!!). When their silly tax was taken away they squealed and whined about cuts, not fat babies and diabetes.
If you need to tax me don't bullshit me. Tell me why. Maybe work out another solution.
But the reasons for this were ridiculous. They played up to idiots and some of them bought it. But the truth is clear now. They wanted more.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
W_Z wrote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Darkside wrote:
The real reason people are upset about this, at least anyone who tries to understand the issue is the real reason for the tax. Not the bullshit reasons we've been given all along.
This had zero to do with health. It had nothing to do with diabetes. It had nothing to do with fat babies.
It was a straight up cash grab with the politicians knowing full well that most people, like ugie, are too damn dumb to see thru their subterfuge.
The county and the state are addicts. They must have more and more (we've been dancing with Mr. Brownstone!!). When their silly tax was taken away they squealed and whined about cuts, not fat babies and diabetes.
If you need to tax me don't bullshit me. Tell me why. Maybe work out another solution.
But the reasons for this were ridiculous. They played up to idiots and some of them bought it. But the truth is clear now. They wanted more.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 pm 

Darkside wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Yeah, at least when Philadelphia tried their soda tax, they didn't lie to the people and say it was for health reasons. They straight up said, we need money.

And Queen Sugar Preckwinkle claiming services will suffer because now this tax isn't passed is such a crock of shit. The amount of revenue she expected from it was something like 4% of the county's total budget. We live in a state with more units of government than any other state. You're telling me she couldn't consolidate and cut 4% of the county budget?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
SuperMario wrote:
Yeah, at least when Philadelphia tried their soda tax, they didn't lie to the people and say it was for health reasons. They straight up said, we need money.

And Queen Sugar Preckwinkle claiming services will suffer because now this tax isn't passed is such a crock of shit. The amount of revenue she expected from it was something like 4% of the county's total budget. We live in a state with more units of government than any other state. You're telling me she couldn't consolidate and cut 4% of the county budget?

She has union cronies she needs to hook up.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/after-so ... d-bonuses/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 am 

People wonder why healthcare costs in this country are how they are.

"DON'T TAKE MY SODA AWAY OMG"

:lol: How is the soda tax reducing healthcare cost? Healthcare is high because of the drug costs (corporate greed). In most countries the government negotiates drug prices with the drug makers, but when Congress created Medicare Part D, it specifically denied Medicare the right to use its power to negotiate drug prices.

Another key reason is the doctors are afraid that they will get sued, so they order multiple tests even when they are certain they know what the diagnosis is.

Stop believing everything you see on TV. It's all a part of the operant conditioning that is designed to control the masses.