It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Martin Luther
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I do love how "science" gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore much of the Scientific Method.

Which religion? The one that was the keeper of Western knowledge for several centuries, the one that opened and continues to operate world class universities across the globe that includes priests and nuns on its faculty, the one that has operated a leading observatory in its headquarters that employed people like Copernicus, or the one whose priest invented the field of genetics?

Do you really want to start a tally of science progress and science suppression?

But hey if you want to think the Eucharist passes for scientific proof go ahead.

I proved you wrong that science gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore the Scientific Method in regards to Catholicism. If I had said the Catholic Church has always embraced science you might try to prove me wrong or start a tally.

I wouldn't fear a tally if you included each time an official Catholic organization embraces the Scientific Method. There are probably hundreds of thousands of instances each day, every day if you include students being taught the method in Catholic schools.

I won't labor on this and try to defend the many instances the Catholic Church did not embrace science. I fully acknowledge it.

You don't get it. It's backwards to only accept the Scientific Method when convenient. Seacrest gave a perfect example with the Eucharist. That's a backwards way of using science.

I didn't say all science by religion was backward. They've done it correctly many times. The problem is they often don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 am 
There is not a single ounce of science that shows anything different in the bread and wine after the blessing than before it. Seacrest you've finally jumped the shark here man.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I wouldn't fear a tally if you included each time an official Catholic organization embraces the Scientific Method.

Obviously a man who was educated by Jesuits!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I wouldn't fear a tally if you included each time an official Catholic organization embraces the Scientific Method.

This would have killed at a fish fry during Lent. And yet here, it just makes our disdain for Catholics grow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This would have killed at a fish fry during Lent. And yet here, it just makes our disdain for Catholics grow.

You know the old joke:

A Franciscan, a Dominican, and a Jesuit are arrested by Bolsheviks for spreading the gospel and thrown in a dark prison cell. The Franciscan dons a cilice and drops to his knees praying for light. The Dominican gives a long lecture on the virtue of light. The Jesuit gets up and repairs the wires in the light socket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:51 am 

I say this with all sincerity, that I am enjoying this thread on so many levels.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
good dolphin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
After reading posts from Catholics on this board, I thank Martin Luther every day for saving some of us from it.

Always amazed by Cubbie fans who cannot understand relying on faith and fanciful stories of the past

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I say this with all sincerity, that I am enjoying this thread on so many levels.

Agreed. Been a nice one to follow.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I do love how "science" gets embraced by religion but only in the backwards ways that ignore much of the Scientific Method.

Catholicism has a love-hate relationship with philosophy and science, but their record since the C20 has been surprisingly good.

We named the Big Bang, you splitter bitches.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You know the old joke:

A Franciscan, a Dominican, and a Jesuit are arrested by Bolsheviks for spreading the gospel and thrown in a dark prison cell. The Franciscan dons a cilice and drops to his knees praying for light. The Dominican gives a long lecture on the virtue of light. The Jesuit gets up and repairs the wires in the light socket.

Where did you hear these jokes. i missed all of them!!!

Except this one. The priest is a good friend of mine.

Rabbi , Priest , Black Guy, get on a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4JiQI3N6Q

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Baby McNown wrote:
There is not a single ounce of science that shows anything different in the bread and wine after the blessing than before it. Seacrest you've finally jumped the shark here man.

I posted it earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Right, Lutheranism is a stepping stone between the literally-eating-Jesus voodoo of the papists and the sensible symbolism of the other liberal Prots.

I wanted to circle back to this one .... I can assure you that an actual Lutheran belief is much, much closer to Rome's view rather than some dreadful some "it's just a symbol" interpretation.

The over-generalized rule of thumb is, iirc, that Rome says once it's changed it's immutably changed for ever (thus transsubstantiation, somewhat related to the word transmogrification) whereas in a proper* Lutheran church, the body and blood of Christ is "in, with, and under" the bread and wine at the time of consecration but not after the Eucharist. Again, over-generalized but enough to show that while very different, it's not completely incongruous like it is with symbolism.

(* - There are MANY so-called Lutheran joints that are Lutheran in the same way that Bea Arthur was a swell looker)

Seacrest wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

Well, how's about you perform a good work and point us to which post that is, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Yeah, cuz the "scientific" explanation of the universe doesn't rest on a yoooge leap of faith:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Right, Lutheranism is a stepping stone between the literally-eating-Jesus voodoo of the papists and the sensible symbolism of the other liberal Prots.

I wanted to circle back to this one .... I can assure you that an actual Lutheran belief is much, much closer to Rome's view rather than some dreadful some "it's just a symbol" interpretation.

The over-generalized rule of thumb is, iirc, that Rome says once it's changed it's immutably changed for ever (thus transsubstantiation, somewhat related to the word transmogrification) whereas in a proper* Lutheran church, the body and blood of Christ is "in, with, and under" the bread and wine at the time of consecration but not after the Eucharist. Again, over-generalized but enough to show that while very different, it's not completely incongruous like it is with symbolism.

(* - There are MANY so-called Lutheran joints that are Lutheran in the same way that Bea Arthur was a swell looker)

Seacrest wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

Well, how's about you perform a good work and point us to which post that is, eh?

Here's my good work DT. :lol: :lol:

Eucharistic miracles 1,300 years apart show same blood type and DNA
[/b]
After scientific investigation, a eucharistic miracle in Poland was recently confirmed as authentic by the local bishop of the area. Initially, the Host had fallen on the ground, so it was placed in water, as is customarily done in such cases. Not long afterward, the Eucharist began turning red, as if bloody.

Tests subsequently done on the subject indicated it came from human tissue "most similar to the heart muscle ... as it appears under the strains of agony."

The case is similar to one that occurred in Buenos Aires, Argentina years ago. In 1996, when then-Bishop Jorge Bergoglio (now Pope Francis) was an auxiliary bishop there under Cdl. Antonio Quarracino. A consecrated Host was found on the ground and soon placed in a glass of water to dissolve. Days later, the Eucharist wasn't dissolved at all — it had turned into bloody Flesh.

Cardinal Quarracino and Bp. Bergoglio took a photograph of the bloody Host for the record, then stored it in a tabernacle to decompose. In 1999, three years later, that same bloody Flesh remained. That's when Dr. Ricardo Castañón, a Bolivian neurophysiologist, was called in to have samples from the Host examined in a laboratory environment.
Doctor Castañón took it to the San Francisco Forensic Institute without telling anyone there what it was or where it came from. After testing, he was told the samples constituted heart muscle, specifically from the myocardium of the left ventricle. Further, the tests showed the blood was human, with human DNA, and of the rare AB-positive type — the same as found on the Shroud of Turin.

Following those results, the Host was taken to Dr. Frederick Zugibe, an esteemed cardiologist and forensic pathologist at Columbia University in New York. According to Dr. Castañón, Dr. Zugibe tested the samples he was given and said the person whose heart it came from must have been tortured. Further, Dr. Zugibe was reportedly amazed that when he studied the samples, they were pulsating like a living, beating heart.

When Dr. Castañón first came across the miracle in 1999, he was an atheist. Today, he's a Catholic.

After that, the results of the tests were compared to samples from another eucharistic miracle that took place in Lanciano, Italy roughly 1,300 years ago. The Body and Blood from that miracle are still preserved at a church in the town. In 1970, they were examined scientifically and, like the Buenos Aires sample, found to be from a human heart with AB-positive blood.

The miracle of Lanciano on display
The comparison indicated that the samples from both Buenos Aires and Lanciano must have come from the same man. They both had the exact same DNA.

Church leaders are always careful to test potential miracles and rule out natural causes. Last year, in Utah, a Host that had been dropped and kept in water appeared blood red after days. However, after a thorough investigation, the red substance turned out not to be blood but rather mold. So the Church isn't quick to label every case like this miraculous. But sometimes, after healthy skepticism and cautious investigation, there's no other conclusion that can be draw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:58 pm 

Hoo-kay.

So, what we have here is a case not where you believe in science itself but, rather, you believe that this 'study' merits being considered having been carried out in anything resembling a 'scientific' fashion.

Dubious materials and non-independently substantiated claims do not a scientific discovery make. See also anti-vaxxers and believers (note that word btw) in chiropractic "medicine".

One cannot start with a more or less planned narrative and then essentially make the findings fit said narrative (either by citing vaguely correlative similarities to one thing or another or outright falsifying the findings themselves) and call it 'science'. I mean, I suppose of course one can, but when the jig is finally up and the study shown to be faulty (whether by choice or by accident), the 'findings' are rightly discarded as either inadvertent mistake or, as I highly suspect in this case, falsehoods purposely presented as truths for whatever reason. Trying to strengthen another's faith by foisting a lovely-sounding lie upon them is ultimately as nutritive as offering a starving man a picture of a Christmas ham.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
For maximum effect, listen to Tubular Bells as you read that post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:24 pm 
Seacrest wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:

Ricky Roma wrote:
Let me show you something. It may mean something to you, it may not. I don't know. This is a piece of land....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
Hoo-kay.

So, what we have here is a case not where you believe in science itself but, rather, you believe that this 'study' merits being considered having been carried out in anything resembling a 'scientific' fashion.

Dubious materials and non-independently substantiated claims do not a scientific discovery make. See also anti-vaxxers and believers (note that word btw) in chiropractic "medicine".

One cannot start with a more or less planned narrative and then essentially make the findings fit said narrative (either by citing vaguely correlative similarities to one thing or another or outright falsifying the findings themselves) and call it 'science'. I mean, I suppose of course one can, but when the jig is finally up and the study shown to be faulty (whether by choice or by accident), the 'findings' are rightly discarded as either inadvertent mistake or, as I highly suspect in this case, falsehoods purposely presented as truths for whatever reason. Trying to strengthen another's faith by foisting a lovely-sounding lie upon them is ultimately as nutritive as offering a starving man a picture of a Christmas ham.

What you have is this:

A consecrated host that change to blood and flesh 1300 years ago and remains the same today.

Another consecrated host that changed to blood and flesh in the last 25 years.

Both were tested by independent scientists on different continents.

Both contain the exact same DNA, 1300 years apart, on two different continents.

Say whatever you want, but take a minute and tell the class where science was wrong here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:51 pm 

Tests subsequently done on the subject indicated it came from human tissue "most similar to the heart muscle ... as it appears under the strains of agony."

I mean, this right here alone should give you pause.

What the hell kind of scientific basis is there for declaring cardiac muscle to have been "under the strains of agony"? Does everyone's cardiac muscle look the same "under the strains of agony"? What are the exact parameters that separate "agony" from "distress" or from "despair" or from "elated" and how precisely is this universally indicated on any given piece of cardiac muscle, regardless of age?

Well as you can see here Dr Bert, this triceratops' femur is broken here and here, clearly indicating not only that he was running from a T-Rex or other similarly sized predator, but also from his creditors, over which he had been agonizing for weeks prior to his demise.

Just .... no. Ye gods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:58 pm 

I think this needs to be said, but Don Tiny is making a better and more informed argument than I ever could. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:

I mean, this right here alone should give you pause.

What the hell kind of scientific basis is there for declaring cardiac muscle to have been "under the strains of agony"? Does everyone's cardiac muscle look the same "under the strains of agony"? What are the exact parameters that separate "agony" from "distress" or from "despair" or from "elated" and how precisely is this universally indicated on any given piece of cardiac muscle, regardless of age?

Well as you can see here Dr Bert, this triceratops' femur is broken here and here, clearly indicating not only that he was running from a T-Rex or other similarly sized predator, but also from his creditors, over which he had been agonizing for weeks prior to his demise.

Just .... no. Ye gods.

Distressed heart muscle is found in autopsies on a regular basis. Furthermore, you forgot to mention the DNA matching. .

Hey look, science isn't enough proof for you. Relax, you are in good company.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think this needs to be said, but Don Tiny is making a better and more informed argument than I ever could. Well done.

Not even you can argue the DNA Brick.

And hell, you'll argue about anything. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Completely independent of your guy's discussion they may be thinking of how you can tell you had a heart attack via blood test. The presence of some biochemicals in the tested material may lead someone to think there was agony. It is worded a little odd though I will say.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
but...DNA has a half life of 521 years. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Psycory wrote:

estimates that DNA from bone has a half-life of 521 years.

No one is talking about bone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm 

Psycory wrote:

Minor detail.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Minor detail.

It doesn't though.

Based on their calculations, the team predicted that even under perfect conditions for DNA preservation, it would take a maximum of 6.8 million years for every bond to be destroyed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Anyway, this is a pretty important scientific study and I look forward to reading about it in a scientific peer reviewed journal and not some church blogs, message boards, or pintrest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:29 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Psycory wrote:

Minor detail.

It doesn't though.

Based on their calculations, the team predicted that even under perfect conditions for DNA preservation, it would take a maximum of 6.8 million years for every bond to be destroyed

You are right. Ideal conditions in bone especially fossilized.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 pm 

Psycory wrote:
Anyway, this is a pretty important scientific study and I look forward to reading about it in a scientific peer reviewed journal and not some church blogs, message boards, or pintrest.

I will keep a look for it in Nature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next