It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:52 pm 

Red Sox hire Alex Cora to be new manager.

Seems like an odd choice for the Red Sox...one year as a bench coach.

Quote:
Cora, 42, spent parts of 14 seasons in the majors. He hit .243/.310/.338 for his career, during which he was primarily used as an extra infielder. Although Cora bounced around a lot, seeing action with six organizations, he appeared in more than 300 games with the Red Sox -- his second-most with any one team, only to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
While Cora's big-league experience is plentiful, he's a relative newcomer to the bench. This season was his lone year as the Astros' bench coach. He'd previously done broadcasting work, while also serving as the general manager of the Puerto Rico national baseball team.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Last edited by RFDC on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Mets to hire INdians pitching coach as new manager. Mickey Callaway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:23 pm 

Not sure why the Giants got rid of Rags. I guess they're putting him in the front office. Whatever that means.

Must have been Rags fault Bumgarner decided to go ATV riding on one of his off days and crashed screwing up his shoulder.

Dont know why this guy never wanted to be a big league manager. I think he would be pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 pm 

Brewers resign Eric Sogard for 2.4 million

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I thought they didn’t allow announcements during the WS.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:56 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I thought they didn’t allow announcements during the WS.

I dont think there is any rule against it, but MLB does not like things done/announced on days the WS is played.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think you can re-sign your own guys, but you can't go after (announce) other FA signings until after the WS is over. Technically guys out of contact (like Arrieta) are still under team (Cubs) control until the end of the season, which doesn't happen until someone wins the World Series.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
More MLB fans care about the offseason than the WS. This is a function of baseball fandom. You care about your team, you maybe care about another team or two but the rest you dont give a shit. There are two teams playing in the World Series, there are 28 teams who aren't. Just a fact of the matter that more people are curious about the coming offseason than what happens here in the World Series.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 pm 

Justin Upton signs with angels for 5yrs

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:58 pm 

Jon Morosi‏
8m8 minutes ago

Sources: In Giancarlo Stanton trade talks, #Marlins have had preliminary communication with #RedSox, #STLCards, #SFGiants, #Phillies. Talks expected to intensify at GM Meetings next week.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:30 pm 

Quote:
Talks between the Marlins and Red Sox involving Stanton “may be heating up”, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. His source tells him that the Red Sox are “definitely in play”. Spencer also mentions that Stanton’s incredible power would play well at Fenway Park, adding that Boston hit the fewest home runs of any MLB team in 2017. The Red Sox certainly seem like a reasonable fit for many other reasons as well, and Spencer lists a small handful in his piece. They’ve been said to be interested in spending more money, even to the point of exceeding the luxury tax, while it has been said that Stanton prefers to play near a coast.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:
while it has been said that Stanton prefers to play near a coast.

Giancarlo Stanton is a shipping magnate in his spare time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Aaron Fucking Boone named manager of Yankees.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 pm 

Cardinals trade Aledmys Diaz to the Blue Jays. Kinda surprised they gave up on him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account
@BNightengale
3 hours ago
More
The #Braves are expected to hire Ed Lynch and Dana Brown at some point for front office roles

Ed Lynch? He's still around?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 pm 

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account
@Ken_Rosenthal
17m17 minutes ago
More
Source: #Mariners acquire Dee Gordon from #Marlins.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:46 pm 

damn i thought he'd be a good fit for the Cubs leading off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 pm 

Derrick Goold‏Verified account
@dgoold

#Cardinals have an agreement with RHP Luke Gregerson for two-year, $11 million guaranteed, pending a physical the reliever will take Tuesday, per source. @Ken_Rosenthal had the details first. #stlcards#MLB

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
A lot of pitchers will sign with the Cubs with only a 60 page binder

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Agent Scott Boras is going straight to the top in his quest to find a home for Jake Arrieta.

Boras said Monday that he has sent a 75-page binder exclusively to MLB owners on behalf of Arrieta, who hit the open market alongside Yu Darvish as the most coveted free-agent starter this winter.

Over the past three seasons with the Chicago Cubs, Arrieta is 54-24 with a 2.71 ERA, second only to the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw in that span. One MLB executive told ESPN he's under the impression Boras is seeking a long-term contract in the $200 million range for Arrieta, but Boras said he has not set any specific parameters with teams.

"I don't put values on anything,'' Boras said from the MLB winter meetings. "I just look at performance. I look at the marketplace and say, 'How does he stack up against the top pitchers in the game, and why?' I am not the purchaser. I am not the check writer. I am merely someone who talks about the performance value.

"I give them all the book, and the onion starts to peel. And all of a sudden there's only a small group left who do what [Justin] Verlander, Arrieta and [Max] Scherzer do."

Boras' promotional binders and penchant for dealing directly with owners have helped define his operating strategy with his elite clients through the years. One baseball insider, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Boras has become more motivated to bypass front offices and go straight to the top in recent years because so few general managers are authorized to make nine-figure deals.

"Scott's big thing is to show these owners that it's good business to sign his players,'' the person said. "I think he's doing it more now because he had so much success with the Tigers and the Nationals.''

Over a span of several years, Boras struck deals of $100-million plus with the Lerner family in Washington and the late Mike Ilitch in Detroit.

A big league general manager, who also requested anonymity, questioned whether Boras' approach is as effective as it once was with owners. He also said some of his peers aren't fans of Boras' strategy of going straight to ownership because "it presumes we don't communicate with our owners.''

Another GM told ESPN that the approach generates "more of an eye roll at this point'' than a strong reaction in front offices.

While Boras declined to address specifics on Arrieta's value, he made it clear during an interview Monday that his main historical comparison for Arrieta is Verlander, who signed a seven-year, $180 million contract extension with the Detroit Tigers in the spring of 2013.

After Verlander won the Cy Young Award and American League MVP in 2011, his ERA rose from 2.40 to 2.64 to 3.46 and his WHIP increased from 0.92 to 1.06 to 1.31. Arrieta's ERA, WHIP and other peripherals have similarly risen over the past three seasons.

One thing the two pitchers had in common, Boras said, was an extensive postseason workload. Verlander logged almost 50 playoff and World Series innings from 2011-12, while Arrieta threw more than 40 postseason innings during the 2015-16 seasons.

"When you have two years of postseason performances, what happens the third year?'' Boras said. "You're going to have a period where there's a lull in performance because of what happened the two prior years. It's the championship season hangover. It has nothing to do with the pitcher.''

One of the main selling points in Boras' Arrieta binder is career workload. Arrieta has pitched 1,161 regular-season innings in the majors. When Zack Greinke agreed to a $206 million deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks in December 2015, he had almost 2,100 innings on his résumé.

"When you're going out to buy the Ferrari, why buy one with 2,000 miles on it rather than one with two or three seasons' less stress on it?" Boras said.

The big separator in Boras' pitch to owners is Arrieta's postseason track record. Over the past three seasons, Arrieta is 5-3 with a 3.08 ERA, a 1.08 WHIP and 66 strikeouts in 52⅔ postseason innings with the Cubs.

"Owners are concerned about durability and performance levels and, 'What am I paying for?'" Boras said. "A No. 1 starter wins the big-boy games. You can't get a No. 1 who wins more big-boy games than Arrieta. You can't find him. He's done it."

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
It's a clever strategy, If the owner actually reads the binder and tells his GM to make it happen. I think Jake will get 6 -160$.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
312player wrote:
It's a clever strategy, If the owner actually reads the binder and tells his GM to make it happen. I think Jake will get 6 -160$.

That's not gonna happen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:
312player wrote:

That's not gonna happen.

Best pitcher on the market, proven post season success and low workload for career..he's in great shape..somebody will pay him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Better binder: Boras or Romney?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 pm 

Odd one here. Carlos Santana to Phillies. 3 yrs 60 mill

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Odd one here. Carlos Santana to Phillies. 3 yrs 60 mill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:46 pm 

Rondon an Astro.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
This makes me happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account
@Ken_Rosenthal
13m13 minutes ago
More
Just announced: #Dodgers get Matt Kemp from #Braves for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash.

----

baseball truly has the best offseason.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Dodgers are clearing a path for Jake.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Evan Longoria to the Giants

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal reports that the popular third baseman was shipped to the Giants for Christian Arroyo and Denard Span, along with two other players and cash.