It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shohei Otani
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Partially torn UCL.....nice. I thought his statement about getting the PRP treatments as a purely preventative measure was fishy.

Chinese, Japanese, Otani is going to need surgery!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Juiced wrote:
Partially torn UCL.....nice. I thought his statement about getting the PRP treatments as a purely preventative measure was fishy.

Chinese, Japanese, Otani is going to need surgery!

Theo probably knew that. He likes to pay players to rehab.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am 

Could he still DH next year with that injury while rehabbing for pitching?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Yes GD, the CSFMB doctors that have exclusive access to Otani say it is a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 am 

Juiced wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yes GD, the CSFMB doctors that have exclusive access to Otani say it is a possibility.

It is a general injury that I could probably research and extrapolate for myself. I thought someone may have already performed the heavy lifting.

Soxtalk has a poster who is a doctor. I'd guess he has made an analysis so I will find out but I post more frequently here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I read sprain, not tear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Either way I doubt they risk it. Gleyber Torres had an elboy injury and he didn't go to DH.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jbi11s wrote:
I read sprain, not tear.

Bernsie wrote:
I Sprain Is A Tear!

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/1 ... ei-ohtani/

Peter Gammons reports that “[p]eople close to Shohei Ohtani privately said that Epstein’s presentation was far and away the most compelling, and it impressed Ohtani.” So why didn’t he choose the Cubs in that case? Well, according to Gammons, “Ohtani also realized that with his elbow ailment—a Grade 1 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm—playing the outfield, swinging a bat every day and pitching had risks.” So, Ohtani ultimately decided he was better off with a team where he could DH instead of appearing in the outfield … and that was that.

Oof.

So, basically, the implication here is that if Ohtani had not sprained his UCL, he would’ve been less worried about making throws from the outfield and would’ve been confident in his ability to draw at-bats in that way (as opposed to DH’ing in the AL). And since he was so impressed by the Cubs’ presentation, he very well may have chosen them in that case. But because of the injury, the NL became a riskier bet for Ohtani, and since he also liked the Angels, he went that route.

LIFE. STINKS.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
'77Cubs wrote:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/18/son-of-a-was-his-elbow-injury-the-reason-the-cubs-didnt-get-shohei-ohtani/

Peter Gammons reports that “[p]eople close to Shohei Ohtani privately said that Epstein’s presentation was far and away the most compelling, and it impressed Ohtani.” So why didn’t he choose the Cubs in that case? Well, according to Gammons, “Ohtani also realized that with his elbow ailment—a Grade 1 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching arm—playing the outfield, swinging a bat every day and pitching had risks.” So, Ohtani ultimately decided he was better off with a team where he could DH instead of appearing in the outfield … and that was that.

Oof.

So, basically, the implication here is that if Ohtani had not sprained his UCL, he would’ve been less worried about making throws from the outfield and would’ve been confident in his ability to draw at-bats in that way (as opposed to DH’ing in the AL). And since he was so impressed by the Cubs’ presentation, he very well may have chosen them in that case. But because of the injury, the NL became a riskier bet for Ohtani, and since he also liked the Angels, he went that route.

LIFE. STINKS.

I guess he expects to make the big league roster? Also, I would assume this takes 1yr to heal? If that is the case, he based 1yr of "rehab" on his 5-6yrs of control? Great decision making!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 am 

'77Cubs wrote:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/18/son-of-a-was-his-elbow-injury-the-reason-the-cubs-didnt-get-shohei-ohtani/

Oof.

LIFE. STINKS.

If the queen had balls she'd be king.

Theo was in Boston so Gammons perpetually will have on his knee pads when discussing him.

It seems very important to Cubs fans that their presentation be viewed as superior despite him not signing with the team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Oof.

LIFE. STINKS.

Theo was in Boston so Gammons perpetually will have on his knee pads when discussing him.

It seems very important to Cubs fans that their presentation be viewed as superior despite him not signing with the team

Seriously. If Ohtani liked Chicago, he would be on the White Sox. Has nothing to do with Theo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I'm glad the Cubs didnt get him. Sounds like he was dishonest during this whole process hiding his injury.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am 

He didn’t hide it. Teams were aware before the bidding process began.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Oof.

LIFE. STINKS.

Seriously. If Ohtani liked Chicago, he would be on the White Sox. Has nothing to do with Theo.

Was there a second prize in the Ohtani sweepstakes?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
2nd prize is not having to deal with the swarm of Japanese media following him around like TMZ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 pm 

2nd prize is not having to deal with the swarm of Japanese media following him around like TMZ.

Sour grapes. The second prize, and out of the five other teams that made it to the "second round" this is unique to the Cubbies, is that they put together a good pitch. Do you really think they were so far superior in their presentation that they deserve the laurels that I have seen thrown by at least three (and probably more) outlets, including the team that ultimately obtained his services? Do you think it is the Ohtani group that is relaying this info through its interpretors? Is the more likely explanation that this "superior presentation" story was leaked from within the Cub organization to a few adoring media members with the knowledge they will print it without further investigation?

because, in the end, what does a superior presentation get you when you didn't win, he is locked in for at least six years and that should he reach his idealized potential he is still best suited to play in the AL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If you care to reference the early pages in this thread I had him going to the Angels long before the "presentation". The $ and the control were intriguing but he was going to play in the OF as much as Rizzo played 3rd and as much as Travis Wood played the OF.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Finally we can rest easier knowing that for fantasy baseball purposes Yahoo sports is cloning him. There will be an Otani that gets credit for pitching stats and a different Otani that will accumulate stats on offense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:38 pm 

2-18 with 6 punchies and looking overmatched. Needs to make serious adjustments but hard to do as a part time hitter. It will be interesting to see how long this experiment goes on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jbi11s wrote:
I read sprain, not tear.

I thought a sprain was a mild tear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm 

Sprains are classified into three grades. In a first-degree sprain, the ligament is not lengthened but is painful. With a second-degree sprain, the ligament is stretched but still functions. With a third-degree sprain, the ligament is torn and does not function.

He has a first degree sprain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Sprains are classified into three grades. In a first-degree sprain, the ligament is not lengthened but is painful. With a second-degree sprain, the ligament is stretched but still functions. With a third-degree sprain, the ligament is torn and does not function.

He has a first degree sprain.

Can u tell me just one Jap hitter that could hit outside Ichiro? ..the guy will be a horse shit hitter n middling pitcher.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm 

Hidecki Matsui was good but yeah they’ve definitely been better on the mound than at the plate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am 

Well he made the Opening Day roster though I'm sure sending him down was never a real possibility. He ended the spring 4-32 (.125) with 10 punchies. He's getting eatin alive on the inside fastball.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Absolutely no faith that he'll be a two way star, but I'm fairly convinced he'll be a really good pitcher if he stays healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 am 

Best thing this kid could do it put the bat down and focus on pitching. He could be a really good one.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
He is the SP on Sunday for the Angels.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
RFDC wrote:
Best thing this kid could do it put the bat down and focus on pitching. He could be a really good one.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
He had a lower OPS in Japan than Fukudome, I'm not sure why anyone thought he would be a threat with the bat. That is why he should have gone to the NL, and been a REALLY good hitting pitcher. He's not going to displace the roster spot of an existing American League DH, not with all his duties related to starting pitching. That notion was absurd from the get-go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next