It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teamsters Local 700
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/union-representing-snow-plow-garbage-truck-drivers-sets-strike-vote-for-sunday/
Quote:
Teamsters Local 700 has scheduled a “contract meeting and possible strike vote” for 10 a.m. Sunday to protest the union’s displeasure with contracts talks with the city to replace a 10-year agreement that expired six months ago.

Local 700 represents 2,032 city employees, the biggest chunk of the city’s unionized workforce outside police officers and firefighters.

Members of Teamsters Local 700 drive garbage trucks and snowplows. They clear runways and taxiways at O’Hare and Midway Airports.

Quote:
The decade-long contract that expired June 30 guaranteed city tradespeople the prevailing wage paid to their counterparts in private industry.

Employees in “non-prevailing wage rate classifications” received a compounded 26 percent pay raise over 10 years, plus supplemental “reporting pay, call-in pay and emergency call pay,” among other extras.

The contract also includes “break-in rates” that allow the city to pay “new career service and seasonal and pool motor truck drivers” at a rate equal to “80 percent of the prevailing wage for the first year of employment and 90 percent for the second year.”

Former Mayor Richard M. Daley has been widely criticized for signing off on the agreement to guarantee labor peace through the 2016 Summer Olympic Games that ultimately went to Rio de Janeiro.

Look, their work is valuable and instrumental for Chicago to function. But, dude, party is over. Go work in private industry if you think the proposed new contract terms are a screwjob.

Post subject: Re: Teamsters Local 700
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Kirkwood=Union Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am 

Kirkwood = SCAB!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
i dont know the history of this negotiation, but if it's been 6 months and no deal has been reached, then a strike during snowfall will get the city to the table quick. maybe trump will force em back to work like reagan did to the air traffic controllers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Strike or not, MANY of the alderman's streets would still be cleaned during a snowstorm.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:55 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/union-representing-snow-plow-garbage-truck-drivers-sets-strike-vote-for-sunday/
Quote:
Teamsters Local 700 has scheduled a “contract meeting and possible strike vote” for 10 a.m. Sunday to protest the union’s displeasure with contracts talks with the city to replace a 10-year agreement that expired six months ago.

Local 700 represents 2,032 city employees, the biggest chunk of the city’s unionized workforce outside police officers and firefighters.

Members of Teamsters Local 700 drive garbage trucks and snowplows. They clear runways and taxiways at O’Hare and Midway Airports.

Quote:
The decade-long contract that expired June 30 guaranteed city tradespeople the prevailing wage paid to their counterparts in private industry.

Employees in “non-prevailing wage rate classifications” received a compounded 26 percent pay raise over 10 years, plus supplemental “reporting pay, call-in pay and emergency call pay,” among other extras.

The contract also includes “break-in rates” that allow the city to pay “new career service and seasonal and pool motor truck drivers” at a rate equal to “80 percent of the prevailing wage for the first year of employment and 90 percent for the second year.”

Former Mayor Richard M. Daley has been widely criticized for signing off on the agreement to guarantee labor peace through the 2016 Summer Olympic Games that ultimately went to Rio de Janeiro.

Look, their work is valuable and instrumental for Chicago to function. But, dude, party is over. Go work in private industry if you think the proposed new contract terms are a screwjob.

Sounds similar to the UAW that refused to accept the reality of the situation with the Big 3 until they had no choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 pm 

312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

For these dopes? Absolutely.

These clowns definitely need a haircut when you have teachers scraping by.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

Kirkwood hates working families. Sad!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

But the owners will just pocket the money!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I'm sure the city could find ~2,500 currently unemployed folks that are qualified for the jobs and would work for less than the 2,032 make now. Sorry Teamsters Local 700. Cry more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

I was with you once you said Teamsters.

The city takes orders from upper level Outfit guys. Who btw, have controlled this union for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:28 pm 

IMU wrote:
I'm sure the city could find ~2,500 currently unemployed folks that are qualified for the jobs and would work for less than the 2,032 make now. Sorry Teamsters Local 700. Cry more.

while snowplowing is not brain surgery, it is definitely not easy and not something any schmuck can just take up and do without training/practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

while snowplowing is not brain surgery, it is definitely not easy and not something any schmuck can just take up and do without training/practice.

There are tons of snow plow guys in chicagoland. Most construction guys, who drive trucks for a living, run snow plow businesses in the winter. Allows them to write off their trucks at tax deduction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

Scraping by? A first year CPS teacher makes $50,000+.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

There are tons of snow plow guys in chicagoland. Most construction guys, who drive trucks for a living, run snow plow businesses in the winter. Allows them to write off their trucks at tax deduction.

do they plow city streets lined with parked cars with pedestrians and live traffic?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
and gets their school loans paid off in some cases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 pm 

billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

No one, qualified or not, can step into any job and do it 100% on day one. I didn't mean to imply that. But there are enough unemployed folks that have driven big trucks and worked manual jobsite jobs that would enable them to excel at snowplowing or garbage pickup fairly quickly. And they'd be more than happy to take 85% of whatever these Teamsters are currently making. I don't picture many of these guys on strike would be considered the "LeBron James" of their field and can't afford to me lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

Not bad for 9 months.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Quote:
The decade-long contract that expired June 30 guaranteed city tradespeople the prevailing wage paid to their counterparts in private industry

Does that "prevailing wage" include pension benefits? The argument for public-worker pensions has always been that they work for LESS than private workers (which is dubious).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU wrote:
billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

No one, qualified or not, can step into any job and do it 100% on day one. I didn't mean to imply that.

Except you in a mlb front office .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm 

Even I would have to learn which Slack type software they use for communication.

But as it relates to covering my GM duties...we're all good there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

well said, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
IMU wrote:
billypootons wrote:
IMU wrote:

No one, qualified or not, can step into any job and do it 100% on day one. I didn't mean to imply that.

Except you in a mlb front office .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

Not bad for 9 months.

I wouldn't say that. Teaching is a full-time job. I'm not jumping on with union busting here. But to say that teachers are "scraping by" is more than an exaggeration. A $50,000 per year starting salary is quite good for all but the most specialized skilled jobs. If all the best paying jobs are City jobs, where does the money come from? I guess you tax the shit out of everybody and those who don't have City jobs flee to the Sun Belt. Doesn't seem like much of a long term strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sounds like we have a bunch of jealous mofos who should’ve made better career choices. Fuck all of you.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:58 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
The decade-long contract that expired June 30 guaranteed city tradespeople the prevailing wage paid to their counterparts in private industry

Does that "prevailing wage" include pension benefits? The argument for public-worker pensions has always been that they work for LESS than private workers (which is dubious).

As much as I am for the workers, that's a good point. However, I do believe that their salary is higher than their counterparts at, say, Waste Management, are making. (At least, they were when my dad did this for a living.) This (public) pension thing . . . it's a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
312player wrote:
Kirkwood=Union Buster

Not bad for 9 months.

I wouldn't say that. Teaching is a full-time job. I'm not jumping on with union busting here. But to say that teachers are "scraping by" is more than an exaggeration. A $50,000 per year starting salary is quite good for all but the most specialized skilled jobs. If all the best paying jobs are City jobs, where does the money come from? I guess you tax the shit out of everybody and those who don't have City jobs flee to the Sun Belt. Doesn't seem like much of a long term strategy.

it's not a bad salary. can't go lower.

but yeah, we need a different strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Fair enough, scraping by was a poor choice of words. Rather, since residents are going to continue to get assfucked with taxes then I'd rather the money pay for teachers and education rather than garbage truck and plow drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

MANY of the the teachers aren't even the biggest problem. Its the "administrators" who worked for 2 at that position years to get a giant and lifelong pension.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Fair enough, scraping by was a poor choice of words. Rather, since residents are going to continue to get assfucked with taxes then I'd rather the money pay for teachers and education rather than garbage truck and plow drivers.

I'm from a Union family. I'm very pro-Union. But there are inherent problems with public sector Unions. You see what happens when people can vote themselves a pay raise. You've got a City that's busted.

And I'm not blaming the Unions 100%. They asked for it, they got it. I can sympathize with a guy who worked 20 or 30 years and is expecting the pension he was promised. Maybe he would have done something else. But it's not reasonable to have guys working regular private sector jobs paying the freight for public workers to retire at age 50 with 80% of their highest salary.

Still, if the pensions had been funded the way they should have been, it wouldn't be a problem. We shouldn't have kept reelecting Daley as he gave away the City to his cronies and we wouldn't be having this discussion.