It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm 

The exercise is going well, I'm in cardiac rehab Phase 2 right now (I had what shakes has to go through), but I'm up to 50 minutes a day of exercise 3x/week in the rehab class. I can see that in 4-5 weeks I'll be back to my normal treadmill speed, and I'm actually doing pretty well on the recumbent rower and the arm machine. I need to focus on getting treadmill time in over the weekend, however.

What's fucking me up is the eating. I've gained weight for six straight weeks, 1-2 pounds/week. Too many damn social events with either food or beer, my schedule is completely messed up as thanks to the rehab I work 12-7 three days a week, and subsequently too much Taco Bell and Portillo's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Truth be told, I've prolly dropped 45-55lbs since may 1st. I haven't really gotten out and played basketball (yet) but I've been walking/pubtrans like I got my citizenship from enlisting in starship troopers and lately I've been able to stray away from eating because it's [time] or sleeping because it's [time] and my energy has gone through the roof.

Unfortunately, I suck at life so everyone's telling me to go handle other people's packages at fed ex cuz clearly if I was allowed to do my own thing in life it'd be the end of the world as we know it (and call it a hunch Michael stipe feels fine, so I can sleep easy... After 1.5 to 2.5 days anyways =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. :wink: I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

Fucking Darth Vader vibe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That's JORR? He's a lot less swarthy than I recalled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I bet his shirt is halfway unbuttoned under that North Face.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

If you've got a guy with a track record, that's great.

I'll send you a PM with the details so the thread stays somewhat on track.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Four of us joined a ‘run the year’ group. 2018 miles between the four of us. Averages little under 10 miles a week. I’m already behind pace but only by a couple miles as I work my way back into the groove. I hadn’t run since a 5K on thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Why does hell does JORR look like Shredder?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm 

On Monday, I hit 10k steps for the first time since my surgery, which will be three months ago tomorrow. Only thing was that I had complete couch potato days on both Sunday and Tuesday to offset it.

But I've had 4 days over 6000 this week, and lost three pounds after gaining at least a pound for seven straight weeks over the holidays. I also confirmed that the treadmills have been underestimating my distance/speed for years, which I always suspected. That means I might be able to do an organized 5k this spring in under an hour, and might not finish last.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:55 pm 

Had my big day yesterday. Got to spend the day with the good people at Northwestern Memorial. Echo, then met with cardiologist who will be on call when I have surgery and then met with actual surgeon, Dr. McCarthy. Said the stenosis in my valve had gotten severe, supposed to be size of a silver dollar, mine is the size of a dime. Imagine that, I got us'd down by my own valve. Capped off the day with blood work and a x ray...and then treated myself to a Cuban sandwich from Cafecito. Best in the city.

Surgery set for 2/6. Dentist tomorrow for clearance. Angio gram on monday to make sure there are no blockages. Apparently angiograms kinda suck. Had no idea. Didn't know its a sedated procedure. Gonna be there all day, they said 6 hours. Tuesday I'm back there for a heart MRI to make sure there's no aneurysms. looking at 1 day in ICU and then 3 days in cardiac floor. the silver lining is Ill be getting home just as the olympics are starting. I love the olympics so if I gotta be completely laid up for the first 2 weeks couldn't think of a better 2 weeks to do it.

Trying to get as much done at work as I can in the limited time i am working. The good news i settled a bunch of cases in the past week so at least i'm earning for the firm a bit.

Went and bought a recliner from ABT. Did you know ABT now has a furniture store upstairs? It's nice, if i gotta spend 4 weeks in it I can think of worse places.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
8 days without a drink. Shit's boring AF.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
shakes wrote:
Had my big day yesterday. Got to spend the day with the good people at Northwestern Memorial. Echo, then met with cardiologist who will be on call when I have surgery and then met with actual surgeon, Dr. McCarthy. Said the stenosis in my valve had gotten severe, supposed to be size of a silver dollar, mine is the size of a dime. Imagine that, I got us'd down by my own valve. Capped off the day with blood work and a x ray...and then treated myself to a Cuban sandwich from Cafecito. Best in the city.

Surgery set for 2/6. Dentist tomorrow for clearance. Angio gram on monday to make sure there are no blockages. Apparently angiograms kinda suck. Had no idea. Didn't know its a sedated procedure. Gonna be there all day, they said 6 hours. Tuesday I'm back there for a heart MRI to make sure there's no aneurysms. looking at 1 day in ICU and then 3 days in cardiac floor. the silver lining is Ill be getting home just as the olympics are starting. I love the olympics so if I gotta be completely laid up for the first 2 weeks couldn't think of a better 2 weeks to do it.

Trying to get as much done at work as I can in the limited time i am working. The good news i settled a bunch of cases in the past week so at least i'm earning for the firm a bit.

Went and bought a recliner from ABT. Did you know ABT now has a furniture store upstairs? It's nice, if i gotta spend 4 weeks in it I can think of worse places.

Good Luck with all of this

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:15 pm 

shakes wrote:

You've got this under control, and you have a surgeon from a great hospital. Just focus on where you'll be at in three months, and realize that progress afterward is in very incremental steps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 pm 

Speaking of which, I finished my 12 week rehab program on Wednesday. On the last day, I spent the first half of each circuit at the resistance/speed level from 4-5 weeks ago. It was amazing how easy it felt. I start a once weekly program the week after next, and have to augment it with my own workouts at XSport or in hotel gyms.

Yesterday I hit my steps goal for the fourth straight day, cobbling together 6200 steps between the NYC subway 6 and E lines, LaGuardia, and O'Hare. Today is my rest day, my stamina still needs a sedentary day after every 3-4. The only problem is that my weight is still going in the wrong direction, although not as fast as it was in December. It takes a while to turn the frigate around.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
I have to clean my room.and brush my teeth. A lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
So where do you go snowmobiling around here JORR?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
I have to clean my room.and brush my teeth. A lot.

Given your supposed indulgences, I'm surprised that you still have teeth left.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Speaking of which, I finished my 12 week rehab program on Wednesday. On the last day, I spent the first half of each circuit at the resistance/speed level from 4-5 weeks ago. It was amazing how easy it felt. I start a once weekly program the week after next, and have to augment it with my own workouts at XSport or in hotel gyms.

Yesterday I hit my steps goal for the fourth straight day, cobbling together 6200 steps between the NYC subway 6 and E lines, LaGuardia, and O'Hare. Today is my rest day, my stamina still needs a sedentary day after every 3-4. The only problem is that my weight is still going in the wrong direction, although not as fast as it was in December. It takes a while to turn the frigate around.

Nice job. I remember reading that they had you walking really slowly and not too much.

:lol: @ "It takes a while to turn the frigate around."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tipping the scales at an all time high. Been an awful holiday season and have been travelling or feeling ill most of the first 6 weeks of this
year. Hitting the reset button and logging my info into MyFitnessPal app on the phone. Cutting way back on the beer consumption as well
which hasn't helped. Really feel like I gained some strength when I hired a trainer 4th quarter last year so I just need to continue to build
on that and add consistent cardio. Just going to get more difficult the older I get. Need to stop lying to myself and make some real changes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am 

Before last week I hadn't really worked out since early last November. I foolishly figured to work out every day last week. Felt good after each workout, but by Saturday I knew that had to pay for pushing too hard, too fast. The weekend was nothing more than stretching in response

Like Chet said, it's incremental steps over time, but I felt that I needed to jump start back. Looking forward to this week's reasonable pace.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 am 

First day back to work after being out of the office since 2/5. Just working half days for now, but good to be back.

Actually lost weight during this whole ordeal, was down to 195, but now back up to 199 as my appetite is starting to come back. I expect I'll balloon up now cause I can't do any serious cardio exercise for several months still.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Who cares. The real question is when can you get back on the golf course?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

all depends when the sternum heals, but doc said 3 months post op so could be as early as mid May.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 pm 

Started doing both morning and evening workouts starting this week. On the treadmill at 5 am to run 2 miles and back in there at 3:30
after work doing 35 minutes on elliptical and lifting weights. Golf season kicks in this weekend so I will be walking 18 both days which will
feel pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 pm 

shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

all depends when the sternum heals, but doc said 3 months post op so could be as early as mid May.

Hope you continue to heal quickly. May is a fine time to get back to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
BP was up to 160/109 in December. Weight had increased to 260ish over a 2 year span. Shortness of breath and pinching around the heart were becoming more common. Worked a few needlessly stressful contracts in November and December. Also, vodka and bad food consumption were at an all time high.

Went to local heart doc at the hospital up here in January. He wanted to put me on BP meds right away, but I still haven't taken them. I just think 35 is too young to be on that scrip, and I don't want my next employer to red flag me at the physical for it. Blood labs came back and everything was good except my triglycerides were like 480. He gave me a statin scrip, but I'm extra cautious of those drugs because I've seen people I know deal with the side effects. Need to set up appt with cardiologist in Bismarck which is 3 and half hours away.

I've made some serious lifestyle adjustments since January. Low sodium consumption. No more espresso/coffee. More greens/fruit smoothies. Limited sugar. No more hard alcohol. Only red wine. Been going to the gym 6 days a week. Have my mile time down to 7min, and try to finish cardio with 35min elliptical sessions.

I'm down to 228lbs. Feel much better. BP when I get home from work is down to 135/95ish, and when I wake up 130/85-90ish. Breathing is much better, and pinching is gone. A few chest pains here and there.

Still not out of the danger zone. Have my first child due in a few weeks, and this is all for her.

Gaining excess weight is such a dangerous problem.

Any advice is appreciated since there seems to be others with heart issues here.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next