It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
The exercise is going well, I'm in cardiac rehab Phase 2 right now (I had what shakes has to go through), but I'm up to 50 minutes a day of exercise 3x/week in the rehab class. I can see that in 4-5 weeks I'll be back to my normal treadmill speed, and I'm actually doing pretty well on the recumbent rower and the arm machine. I need to focus on getting treadmill time in over the weekend, however.

What's fucking me up is the eating. I've gained weight for six straight weeks, 1-2 pounds/week. Too many damn social events with either food or beer, my schedule is completely messed up as thanks to the rehab I work 12-7 three days a week, and subsequently too much Taco Bell and Portillo's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 14781
Location: in the vents of life for joey belle
pizza_Place: Crime Story: wasnt that on dee road?
Truth be told, I've prolly dropped 45-55lbs since may 1st. I haven't really gotten out and played basketball (yet) but I've been walking/pubtrans like I got my citizenship from enlisting in starship troopers and lately I've been able to stray away from eating because it's [time] or sleeping because it's [time] and my energy has gone through the roof.

Unfortunately, I suck at life so everyone's telling me to go handle other people's packages at fed ex cuz clearly if I was allowed to do my own thing in life it'd be the end of the world as we know it (and call it a hunch Michael stipe feels fine, so I can sleep easy... After 1.5 to 2.5 days anyways =)

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I think it was Heroin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 30599
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. :wink: I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ



Biden/Kasich 2020


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 pm
Posts: 7194
Location: CUBBIE ON THE BRAIN
pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.


He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
sini's dick pics that aren't bad


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 5635
Location: Knoxville,Ill
pizza_Place: Caseys
Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


Nut huggers and some Under Armour looking shirt is commitment. I still see those crazy fuckers along LSD in the morning.


He's making a commitment to looking like a fucking queer, not fitness.

Fucking Darth Vader vibe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 2144
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image


That's JORR? He's a lot less swarthy than I recalled.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 20516
pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I bet his shirt is halfway unbuttoned under that North Face.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 10535
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Unfortunately my commitment to excellence hit a nasty speed bump this weekend. Was skating in my regular sunday morning pick up hockey and 10 minutes in I started to get real dizzy. Tried skating to the bench and got even dizzier. Next thing I remember I'm waking up on the ice with everyone standing over me. Told I was unconscious for 2 minutes. Ambulance ride to the ER. This is particularly bad for me since I have a bicuspid aortic heart valve that will eventually need to be replaced. Mother and younger brother both already had theirs replaced in last 6 years. At my last echo 2 years ago it was looking fine so I thought I had another decade to go before it got bad.

Went to my cardiologist and he put me on indefinite IR for all forms of exercise or even shoveling the snow or taking out the garbage. Going in today for a new echo and a stress echo to see if the heart valve needs to be replaced stat.

Was down nearly 30 lbs, but I'm sure its all going to come back now. I can't lose or even maintain weight without at least 2-3 days per week of exercise.

Pretty shaken up about the whole thing, I honestly thought I was going to die as I was skating to the bench.

Sounds like what happened to me in September. They'd been tracking the bicuspid valve for a few years, but it really closed up rapidly and sprung a leak to boot. Almost passed out pulling into my driveway, then after that I couldn't climb a flight of stairs.

If you live in the western suburbs, I can't recommend this guy enough:
http://openheart.net/content/john-grieco-md


Didn't know there was someone here who went through this recently. Thanks for the doc rec, but I'm set on McCarthy at Northwestern. He did my brother and mom's valves with great results so gonna stick with him.

How long ago was yours? How long were you in the hospital afterwards and how long were you laid up at home?

If you've got a guy with a track record, that's great.

I'll send you a PM with the details so the thread stays somewhat on track.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am
Posts: 18870
pizza_Place: Aurelios
Four of us joined a ‘run the year’ group. 2018 miles between the four of us. Averages little under 10 miles a week. I’m already behind pace but only by a couple miles as I work my way back into the groove. I hadn’t run since a 5K on thanksgiving.

_________________
drinky wrote:
If you hate Laurence, then don't listen - don't comment. When he co-hosts the B&B show, take that day off ... listen to an old podcast of a Bernstein solo show and jerk off all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:26 pm
Posts: 30168
Location: West Side
pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
12 miles this morning in -2, -25 wind chill. That's commitment, motherfuckers!

Image

Why does hell does JORR look like Shredder?

Image

_________________
Seacrest wrote:
I rarely troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
On Monday, I hit 10k steps for the first time since my surgery, which will be three months ago tomorrow. Only thing was that I had complete couch potato days on both Sunday and Tuesday to offset it.

But I've had 4 days over 6000 this week, and lost three pounds after gaining at least a pound for seven straight weeks over the holidays. I also confirmed that the treadmills have been underestimating my distance/speed for years, which I always suspected. That means I might be able to do an organized 5k this spring in under an hour, and might not finish last.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 10535
pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had my big day yesterday. Got to spend the day with the good people at Northwestern Memorial. Echo, then met with cardiologist who will be on call when I have surgery and then met with actual surgeon, Dr. McCarthy. Said the stenosis in my valve had gotten severe, supposed to be size of a silver dollar, mine is the size of a dime. Imagine that, I got us'd down by my own valve. Capped off the day with blood work and a x ray...and then treated myself to a Cuban sandwich from Cafecito. Best in the city.

Surgery set for 2/6. Dentist tomorrow for clearance. Angio gram on monday to make sure there are no blockages. Apparently angiograms kinda suck. Had no idea. Didn't know its a sedated procedure. Gonna be there all day, they said 6 hours. Tuesday I'm back there for a heart MRI to make sure there's no aneurysms. looking at 1 day in ICU and then 3 days in cardiac floor. the silver lining is Ill be getting home just as the olympics are starting. I love the olympics so if I gotta be completely laid up for the first 2 weeks couldn't think of a better 2 weeks to do it.

Trying to get as much done at work as I can in the limited time i am working. The good news i settled a bunch of cases in the past week so at least i'm earning for the firm a bit.

Went and bought a recliner from ABT. Did you know ABT now has a furniture store upstairs? It's nice, if i gotta spend 4 weeks in it I can think of worse places.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 4869
pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
8 days without a drink. Shit's boring AF.

_________________
jimmypasta wrote:
I'd make that tiny eyeballed bitch scream: "quick,someone draw me a clit,so I can cum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 6014
pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
shakes wrote:
Had my big day yesterday. Got to spend the day with the good people at Northwestern Memorial. Echo, then met with cardiologist who will be on call when I have surgery and then met with actual surgeon, Dr. McCarthy. Said the stenosis in my valve had gotten severe, supposed to be size of a silver dollar, mine is the size of a dime. Imagine that, I got us'd down by my own valve. Capped off the day with blood work and a x ray...and then treated myself to a Cuban sandwich from Cafecito. Best in the city.

Surgery set for 2/6. Dentist tomorrow for clearance. Angio gram on monday to make sure there are no blockages. Apparently angiograms kinda suck. Had no idea. Didn't know its a sedated procedure. Gonna be there all day, they said 6 hours. Tuesday I'm back there for a heart MRI to make sure there's no aneurysms. looking at 1 day in ICU and then 3 days in cardiac floor. the silver lining is Ill be getting home just as the olympics are starting. I love the olympics so if I gotta be completely laid up for the first 2 weeks couldn't think of a better 2 weeks to do it.

Trying to get as much done at work as I can in the limited time i am working. The good news i settled a bunch of cases in the past week so at least i'm earning for the firm a bit.

Went and bought a recliner from ABT. Did you know ABT now has a furniture store upstairs? It's nice, if i gotta spend 4 weeks in it I can think of worse places.


Good Luck with all of this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
shakes wrote:
Had my big day yesterday. Got to spend the day with the good people at Northwestern Memorial. Echo, then met with cardiologist who will be on call when I have surgery and then met with actual surgeon, Dr. McCarthy. Said the stenosis in my valve had gotten severe, supposed to be size of a silver dollar, mine is the size of a dime. Imagine that, I got us'd down by my own valve. Capped off the day with blood work and a x ray...and then treated myself to a Cuban sandwich from Cafecito. Best in the city.

Surgery set for 2/6. Dentist tomorrow for clearance. Angio gram on monday to make sure there are no blockages. Apparently angiograms kinda suck. Had no idea. Didn't know its a sedated procedure. Gonna be there all day, they said 6 hours. Tuesday I'm back there for a heart MRI to make sure there's no aneurysms. looking at 1 day in ICU and then 3 days in cardiac floor. the silver lining is Ill be getting home just as the olympics are starting. I love the olympics so if I gotta be completely laid up for the first 2 weeks couldn't think of a better 2 weeks to do it.

Trying to get as much done at work as I can in the limited time i am working. The good news i settled a bunch of cases in the past week so at least i'm earning for the firm a bit.

Went and bought a recliner from ABT. Did you know ABT now has a furniture store upstairs? It's nice, if i gotta spend 4 weeks in it I can think of worse places.


You've got this under control, and you have a surgeon from a great hospital. Just focus on where you'll be at in three months, and realize that progress afterward is in very incremental steps.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
Speaking of which, I finished my 12 week rehab program on Wednesday. On the last day, I spent the first half of each circuit at the resistance/speed level from 4-5 weeks ago. It was amazing how easy it felt. I start a once weekly program the week after next, and have to augment it with my own workouts at XSport or in hotel gyms.

Yesterday I hit my steps goal for the fourth straight day, cobbling together 6200 steps between the NYC subway 6 and E lines, LaGuardia, and O'Hare. Today is my rest day, my stamina still needs a sedentary day after every 3-4. The only problem is that my weight is still going in the wrong direction, although not as fast as it was in December. It takes a while to turn the frigate around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:54 pm
Posts: 14781
Location: in the vents of life for joey belle
pizza_Place: Crime Story: wasnt that on dee road?
I have to clean my room.and brush my teeth. A lot.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I think it was Heroin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 18550
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
So where do you go snowmobiling around here JORR?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm
Posts: 2292
pizza_Place: I miss Carmen's
sinicalypse wrote:
I have to clean my room.and brush my teeth. A lot.

Given your supposed indulgences, I'm surprised that you still have teeth left.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm
Posts: 2144
pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Speaking of which, I finished my 12 week rehab program on Wednesday. On the last day, I spent the first half of each circuit at the resistance/speed level from 4-5 weeks ago. It was amazing how easy it felt. I start a once weekly program the week after next, and have to augment it with my own workouts at XSport or in hotel gyms.

Yesterday I hit my steps goal for the fourth straight day, cobbling together 6200 steps between the NYC subway 6 and E lines, LaGuardia, and O'Hare. Today is my rest day, my stamina still needs a sedentary day after every 3-4. The only problem is that my weight is still going in the wrong direction, although not as fast as it was in December. It takes a while to turn the frigate around.

Nice job. I remember reading that they had you walking really slowly and not too much.

:lol: @ "It takes a while to turn the frigate around."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm
Posts: 13008
Location: On my way to the gym
pizza_Place: Kaisers
Tipping the scales at an all time high. Been an awful holiday season and have been travelling or feeling ill most of the first 6 weeks of this
year. Hitting the reset button and logging my info into MyFitnessPal app on the phone. Cutting way back on the beer consumption as well
which hasn't helped. Really feel like I gained some strength when I hired a trainer 4th quarter last year so I just need to continue to build
on that and add consistent cardio. Just going to get more difficult the older I get. Need to stop lying to myself and make some real changes.

_________________
Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 14921
Location: "Across 110th Street"
Before last week I hadn't really worked out since early last November. I foolishly figured to work out every day last week. Felt good after each workout, but by Saturday I knew that had to pay for pushing too hard, too fast. The weekend was nothing more than stretching in response

Like Chet said, it's incremental steps over time, but I felt that I needed to jump start back. Looking forward to this week's reasonable pace.

_________________
"Law cannot change hearts, but it can restrain the heartless." MLKing, 12/7/64, London, England.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group