Furious Styles wrote:
More like fondon't.

I like your (Furious) style(s).

Post subject: Re: Cheesecake Factory
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
a genius wrote:
Haven't been for MANY years but I remember the food was just so so but expensive and the portions HUGE. The mashed potatoes were piled really high like in the dinner scene in Close Encounters.

That's about the gist of it. THen you ahve the faux-Italianate faux-opulence (all cheesecake factories are repurposed Roman baths, I guess?) and it's an entire theme of excess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
It's a shit hole.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
The one in Oak Brook seems to be very popular with the African-American community. Interesting phenomenon.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Cheesecake Factory = Andre's Steakhouse, I don't know how I didn't see it before

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
When Golden Corral isn't upscale enough, head over to The Cheesecake Factory. Both premised on giving you a lot of food but both also premised on the food sucking. Too many better options if you live in an urban metropolis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 pm 

DannyB wrote:
The one in Oak Brook seems to be very popular with the African-American community. Interesting phenomenon.

Not really. Large portions, the faux patina of quality, relatively inexpensive prices and lots of seating. It's the wal-mart of dining. Boring stuff.

Main stream American.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Not really. Large portions, the faux patina of quality, relatively inexpensive prices and lots of seating. It's the wal-mart of dining. Boring stuff.

Main stream American.

I'm serious though. I've probably been there 4-5 times over the years and there are always a lot of African-American people eating there--families, groups, etc. MANY staff too. The chopped salad is good, the bar food is fine. Never really had anything else.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I wind up there for lunch a couple of times a year. The grilled chicken and avocado club is really good. I'm not a big cheesecake guy so if I get dessert there I get their chocolate tower truffle cake, which is delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Main stream American.

I'm serious though. I've probably been there 4-5 times over the years and there are always a lot of African-American people eating there--families, groups, etc. MANY staff too. The chopped salad is good, the bar food is fine. Never really had anything else.

I'm agreeing with you about the crowd make up, it's just lowest common denominator restaurant food with a brand name and decent enough price point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Look, it's not Alinea. But it's a couple of steps about Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Applebees, TGI Fucktards, and the like. Three people or five kids can easily split two entrees, so the cost is actually reasonable for groups. And kids will somewhat behave given the threat of going home without getting to eat cheesecake, and it's already noise so nobody gives a shit if the little kids are too loud.

All things being equal, I'd almost always rather go to Katy's Dumplings in Westmont, or get a beef sandwich from Original Mr. Beef in Orland Park. But sometimes that's just not possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I feel like when we have reached the level of fungible eating, I'd rather just eat whatever the cheapest thing is. It isn't enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Cheesecake Factory = Andre's Steakhouse, I don't know how I didn't see it before

Dennis Miller would be proud. And his fans would enjoy that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
my theory is that its slightly better than applebees/tgifridays/chili's fair. and since its slightly better, its pretty much a 5 star restaurant in the minds of "in the way" people.

my wife takes a girls trip to chicago every year with a bunch of her friends. its only for a few nights but their eating choices are horrible. the big night out meal is cheesecake factory. its embarrassing.

i've gone twice. once in chicago and once in SLC. i couldn't get over the attraction of a 20 page menu and ordered a mediocre burger both times. ordering a burger is the nudge to my wife that this place sucks a fat one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Also, there are people for whom the atmosphere is way more important than the food. I used to work with somebody like that, one time in Nashville she wanted to go to Luby's cafeteria because "the people-watching will be fun."

For those people, Cheesecake Factory is going to be a better choice than an unassuming non-corporate little place serving really good food.

I'm guilty of the next step up on the ladder. I enjoy the chain Seasons 52. Partially because my dad really likes it and it makes him happy if I take him there 3-4x/year, but I've never had a bad meal there and unlike most of the Cheesecake Factory's menu you can make some reasonably healthy food choices. But it's owned by Darden, so my soul gets crushed a little every time I realize that I'm feeding the corporate profits of places such as the Olive Garden and Red Lobster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i'm trying to not be so picky/critical of restaurant choices as i get older. at home i enjoy hard salami and mustard sandwhiches, so while i don't prefer red lobster, if someone loves it, so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
hnd wrote:
i'm trying to not be so picky/critical of restaurant choices as i get older. at home i enjoy hard salami and mustard sandwhiches, so while i don't prefer red lobster, if someone loves it, so be it.

Now you are getting it right. Live your life!

-Ronald Reagan