It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Kind of an odd but entertaining show this evening.

Cowley talking about his father, who was a black belt (and found himself in court twice on assault charges) told his sons they either had to box or wrestle.

Cowley joined the Indian Guides when he was a kid. They were tougher than the Cub Scouts because all they did was wrestle and their camping trips were sleeping on the floor of a YMCA while their dads played poker.

Cowley is sick of all the misinformation being spread about concussions and football. He sees Sarah Spain on ESPN talking about concussions and she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Shep would not trade the five years (8th grade through H.S.) he played football for anything.

They are interviewing a guy from USA Football who is going on quite a rant. Society is lacking respect, hard work, discipline, etc., and that is coinciding with dwindling numbers of kids involved in youth football.

Cowley and this guy are big proponents of the Head's Up program for youth football.

I remember a few years ago when Bernsie, while hosting with Leery, was talking about CTE and how he questions parents who let their kids play football. A caller brought up the Head's Up program and how it's teaching kids to look at what they are tackling instead of putting their heads down and how it will make the game safer to have kids learn to tackle this way as opposed to leading with their heads. Both Dan and Leery laughed the guy off the air.

Both of Cowley's kids play football and he coaches one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kind of an odd but entertaining show this evening.

Cowley talking about his father, who was a black belt (and found himself in court twice on assault charges) told his sons they either had to box or wrestle.

Cowley joined the Indian Guides when he was a kid. They were tougher than the Cub Scouts because all they did was wrestle and their camping trips were sleeping on the floor of a YMCA while their dads played poker.

Cowley is sick of all the misinformation being spread about concussions and football. He sees Sarah Spain on ESPN talking about concussions and she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Shep would not trade the five years (8th grade through H.S.) he played football for anything.

They are interviewing a guy from USA Football who is going on quite a rant. Society is lacking respect, hard work, discipline, etc., and that is coinciding with dwindling numbers of kids involved in youth football.

Cowley and this guy are big proponents of the Head's Up program for youth football.

I remember a few years ago when Bernsie, while hosting with Leery, was talking about CTE and how he questions parents who let their kids play football. A caller brought up the Head's Up program and how it's teaching kids to look at what they are tackling instead of putting their heads down and how it will make the game safer to have kids learn to tackle this way as opposed to leading with their heads. Both Dan and Leery laughed the guy off the air.

Funny that he lets his kid play a game where pucks are flying at his kid's head.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Meh these guys are late to the party.

Personally I'm with the PMT guys in fighting "the war on the war on football"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Cowley screaming at more than 1 caller. Anger issues???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
'77Cubs wrote:

Between his yelling at callers who disagreed with him and his calling everything "lazy reporting", he sounded like a real jag bag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
I listened for about 10 minutes and turned it off. They both sounded like jags.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
The benefits of playing football up through high school dwarf the wildly overblown risks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
The benefits of playing football up through high school dwarf the wildly overblown risks.

Agreed.

Any man who doesn't want or let his son play football is a loser.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am 

I really am enjoying this week's walk down memory lane with Dan Bernstein's past bad acts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 am 

'77Cubs wrote:

He definitely sounds like he has some anger issues, especially when it comes to "The War on Football."

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am 

I got into an argument with Cowley at white sox interactive probably 15 years ago.

The guy is a double edged sword. He is really one of the only reporters who takes on people in sports in this town. Unfortunately he becomes obsessed and will tell stories from one perspective, as he did with the Ozzie v. Kenny battle.

He seems like the kind of guy who will ask you how much you lift when engaged in casual conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 am 

good dolphin wrote:
He seems like the kind of guy who will ask you how much you lift when engaged in casual conversation.

:lol:

I can see Cowley and Kaplam at a party asking the hosts if they have a weight bench so they can prove who can bench the most.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm 

Cowley would have made a great Big Tobacco executive in the early 60's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Tad Queasy wrote:

i'd say for someone to buy this guy a beer but *checks watch* good chance he's already drunk!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:
I really am enjoying this week's walk down memory lane with Dan Bernstein's past bad acts.

Has any one called him out on his Ron Santo jokes? That has to be the worst for him now, like daggers in the heart awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Has any one called him out on his Ron Santo jokes? That has to be the worst for him now, like daggers in the heart awful.

They let Bob in Niles/park ridge babble incoherently for 5 minutes the other day so they have no issue taking advantage of the mentally disabled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:25 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They let Bob in Niles/park ridge babble incoherently for 5 minutes the other day so they have no issue taking advantage of the mentally disabled

That's was painful to listen to for the 45 seconds I left it on. But I do hope that they'll get the same treatment when they're just as old and irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Cowley was good when he’d be on B+B basically telling Dan he was full of shit when Dan was feeding listeners management talking points about how bad a guy Thibs was. Cowley is good as a guest and decent as a fill-in with a good co-host (not Shep), but anything more than that exposes him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Anything more than that exposes him" seems to be a trend with newspapermen: Cowley, Rozner, and Rosenbloom are all very good in small doses and nothing more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

Football is stupid. Play baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Cowley might settle in if he knew he had to fill 20 hours/week. Sports radio needs a full blown meatball attack.