It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sous Vide
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: *
TurdFerguson wrote:
I've been cooking with it for 2 months now and give it a full endorsement.

Cooked so far
3 full racks of ribs
9 lb pork loin
3 pound flank steak
8 pound boston butt
steaks, pork chops

All turned out fantastic. Season the meat. Add to zip lock bag and force the air out. Look up on their website the temp and time and that's it. Steaks and chops are ready in a few hours where as the butt cooked for 2 and a half days. For the long cook, just periodically check in and make sure water hasn't evaportated.

I cook it in a big igloo cooler and cover the top with plastic screens to keep the heat and water from dissipating. I'll put the ribs and pulled pork against a green egg any day.

I've purchased one and got it about week and half ago. I have done chops and steaks only with it so far and I agree it is great. I have yet to do any bbq on it but I plan to in the future.

Also, i like the cooler idea. I was looking for an idea as I have alot of people to cook for.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Cooked so far
3 full racks of ribs
9 lb pork loin
3 pound flank steak
8 pound boston butt
steaks, pork chops

All turned out fantastic. Season the meat. Add to zip lock bag and force the air out. Look up on their website the temp and time and that's it. Steaks and chops are ready in a few hours where as the butt cooked for 2 and a half days. For the long cook, just periodically check in and make sure water hasn't evaportated.

I cook it in a big igloo cooler and cover the top with plastic screens to keep the heat and water from dissipating. I'll put the ribs and pulled pork against a green egg any day.

I've purchased one and got it about week and half ago. I have done chops and steaks only with it so far and I agree it is great. I have yet to do any bbq on it but I plan to in the future.

Looking forward to doing a beef brisket next. Feels like 80% of the time its a disappointment, but that other 20% is otherworldly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Cooked so far
3 full racks of ribs
9 lb pork loin
3 pound flank steak
8 pound boston butt
steaks, pork chops

Looking forward to doing a beef brisket next. Feels like 80% of the time its a disappointment, but that other 20% is otherworldly.

Yea I want to do a brisket also but the BBQ guy in me feels like it's total cheating. But I'm going to try it, have to.

Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 pm 

Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Cooked so far
3 full racks of ribs
9 lb pork loin
3 pound flank steak
8 pound boston butt
steaks, pork chops

Yea I want to do a brisket also but the BBQ guy in me feels like it's total cheating. But I'm going to try it, have to.

When I did the pulled pork, I drained the bag straight into pan and mixed it probably 50/50 with BBQ sauce. Some of the best sauce I even had. Sauce was probably 30% fat, but it was delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
When I did the pulled pork, I drained the bag straight into pan and mixed it probably 50/50 with BBQ sauce. Some of the best sauce I even had. Sauce was probably 30% fat, but it was delicious.

How did you finish the pork butt off? Did you put it on the smoker for a bit?

Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm 

Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I don't have a smoker. Patted it dry again with a paper towel. Added rub the rub all over and put in the over for 90 minutes at 300. After 90 minutes I had it set for 200 degrees as people were coming over. I was pulling it in sections and found the longer it sat in the over the better it got. It was almost too tender at first.

I would imagine 2 hours at 300 in smoker may be perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I don't have a smoker. Patted it dry again with a paper towel. Added rub the rub all over and put in the over for 90 minutes at 300. After 90 minutes I had it set for 200 degrees as people were coming over. I was pulling it in sections and found the longer it sat in the over the better it got. It was almost too tender at first.

:thumleft:

Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm 

Sous vide is the fondue of the teens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:58 pm 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I don't think you can smoke cooked meat. The smoke is infused in the meat as it cooks. You may get a little bit on the outside if it chars the meat but I think it wouldn't make a big difference to smoke it after.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I don't think you can smoke cooked meat. The smoke is infused in the meat as it cooks. You may get a little bit on the outside if it chars the meat but I think it wouldn't make a big difference to smoke it after.

It wouldn't penetrate deeply, but I bet you taste it. You are still putting a crust on the meat. That was the whole point of finishing in the oven.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The guys I saw on you tube crust their Sous meat with big torches.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
pittmike wrote:

dude, we gotta get ben gordon to do this out of principle alone. #bigbengordonwithatorch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Elon Musk pushing an outlet for his flamethrowers I see.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
pittmike wrote:

i use a charcoal chimney with a small grate for small pieces of meat and a weed burner for big pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:45 am 

Corned beef! 10 hours at 180 degrees. Came out perfect.