It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
W_Z wrote:
My local Armand’s must not be used to getting pickup tips because when I picked up an order for my in-laws yesterday and gave a cash tip that was just over 20%, they gave me a bottle of wine as a GIFT.

Tell them to reopen their place on Grand in Elmwood Park!!!! We went there all the time when I was little. The 70s stone front, cocktails sign, green carpet, and the light up numbers are both great and vivid in my mind. I think they had a juke box too. We'd have dinner there and ordered a pizza to go usually. I want to say they had lamb's head or brain on the menu too. I was terrified somebody would come out with a head but that's what you picture when you are 5. I loved that place, I wish I could go there with my parents again or take my kids there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Spaulding wrote:
W_Z wrote:
My local Armand’s must not be used to getting pickup tips because when I picked up an order for my in-laws yesterday and gave a cash tip that was just over 20%, they gave me a bottle of wine as a GIFT.

Tell them to reopen their place on Grand in Elmwood Park!!!! We went there all the time when I was little. The 70s stone front, cocktails sign, green carpet, and the light up numbers are both great and vivid in my mind. I think they had a juke box too. We'd have dinner there and ordered a pizza to go usually. I want to say they had lamb's head or brain on the menu too. I was terrified somebody would come out with a head but that's what you picture when you are 5. I loved that place, I wish I could go there with my parents again or take my kids there.

Are you old enough to remember the mini jukeboxes that Russell's BBQ had at each table? That place brings back memories. I am in the area about once a month and usually rotate between Johnnie's, Gene and Jude's, and Russell's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:28 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Are you old enough to remember the mini jukeboxes that Russell's BBQ had at each table? That place brings back memories. I am in the area about once a month and usually rotate between Johnnie's, Gene and Jude's, and Russell's.

I don't remember the at each table ones. Is that almost in the middle of forest preserves? There was a place we'd drive to and it seemed like miles of wooded area that had music and really long checkered tables.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:52 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I don't remember the at each table ones. Is that almost in the middle of forest preserves? There was a place we'd drive to and it seemed like miles of wooded area that had music and really long checkered tables.

Yep, on Thatcher just north of North Ave. Thatcher runs along the east side of the preserves.

Actually, in re-reading your post, I see you were referring to Armand's on Grand in Elmwood Park. I was thinking of the one on North Ave., also in Elmwood Park.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 pm 

It was on Grand.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/armands-restau ... mwood-park

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I am in the area about once a month and usually rotate between Johnnie's, Gene and Jude's, and Russell's.
Nice. I used to work in Franklin Park and those were regular lunch stops. That was also the start of my weight issues. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I am in the area about once a month and usually rotate between Johnnie's, Gene and Jude's, and Russell's.
Nice. I used to work in Franklin Park and those were regular lunch stops. That was also the start of my weight issues. :(

:lol: I told my son the same thing...if I lived in that area, I'd probably weigh another 50 pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Early Valentine's Day dinner for the family from Tsukasa in Vernon Hills. 20% tip on the carryout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
GoldenJet wrote:
Early Valentine's Day dinner for the family from Tsukasa in Vernon Hills. 20% tip on the carryout.

Only the Fogcutter staff get 20% tip on carryout for me....but that's basically my Cheers place.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I've started to see tip jars pop up at regular retail establishments. Stopped in a tabaco store to get a couple cigars and saw one at the counter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
MOCA's Logan Square dispensary has tip jars, but the River North location does not. The River North location is in the same building as Club Champion, so you have easy access to overpriced weed and overpriced golf gear in one spot.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I did curbside pickup at PF Chang's last night and since it was fucking freezing last night and I was lazy, I tipped them $3 to bring to food outside.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Tipped 10% in carry out at Heng Wing last night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:39 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I did curbside pickup at PF Chang's last night and since it was fucking freezing last night and I was lazy, I tipped them $3 to bring to food outside.

PF Chang's? did you get food poisoning? don't ever go there, it's terrible. don't you have other choices where you live?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:27 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

PF Chang's? did you get food poisoning? don't ever go there, it's terrible. don't you have other choices where you live?

I was visiting my father, I had been awake since 3am, it was 6 degrees outside and I could order it from my phone and get curbside pickup. I was saving going to Portillo's for taking my dad carryout lunch the next day.

If I had thought about it more carefully, I would have gotten roast chicken with BBQ sauce and garlic mashed potatoes from The Patio instead as they have a drive thru.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
HawaiiYou wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=123535&p=3541993&view=show#p3541993

Hopefully you go back to Taco Bell today and get food poisoning and die.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:22 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

I was visiting my father, I had been awake since 3am, it was 6 degrees outside and I could order it from my phone and get curbside pickup. I was saving going to Portillo's for taking my dad carryout lunch the next day.

If I had thought about it more carefully, I would have gotten roast chicken with BBQ sauce and garlic mashed potatoes from The Patio instead as they have a drive thru.

if you're in chicago you can't be Chinatown for Chinese food. Any hole in the wall place there is better than pf changs or panda express.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:23 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

http://chicagofanatics.com/viewtopic.ph ... w#p3541993

no i'm done w/ that. it was good for one time only. like every 10 years taco bell is good. but that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:28 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

if you're in chicago you can't be Chinatown for Chinese food. Any hole in the wall place there is better than pf changs or panda express.

Fuck Chicago's Chinatown, I'm not driving for an hour to go there, plus risk getting carjacked. Pre COVID I was a regular at Katy's in Westmont which is excellent, but it's a tiny little place so not COVID friendly. After I get vaccinated I will start going back there on Sunday nights when I am in town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:29 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

What are your favorite places in Chinatown?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:35 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

no idea. it's been like 20 years or so since I was there. I use to go w/ people from work and they would always know the places that tasted great. I'm not sure those places are still around these days but I was introduced to the best chinese food i ever tasted there. And I never went there as a kid or young adult. I discovered it late when I was living back there.

Dim Sum is one thing I really enjoyed. I didnt know what it was but once I tried it, it was great. The one w/ the shrimp in the wrapped pasta was the best. Pretty much all seafood dishes there in Chinatown were outstanding. And for the price a real bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I like Moon Palace next door to the fire station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:35 am 
100000 CLUB

HawaiiYou wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=123535&p=3541993&view=show#p3541993

no i'm done w/ that. it was good for one time only. like every 10 years taco bell is good. but that's it.
The point is that you have started Shoutout threads for Subway, Taco Bell, and Jersey Mikes fairly recently. You are in no position to judge anybody else's choice in foods.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:55 pm 

DAC wrote:
A place where tipped servers have to stop what they are doing at the tables and pull your carry-out order together, I'll tip 10%. Not that I carry out from there, but that's what Waffle House adds as standard for all carry-out orders. I'll do that at a place like Katy's Dumplings in Westmont.

Carry out from a place with a mostly dedicated carryout process, no tip. If I go pick up a pizza, I'm not tipping. And obviously not a place like Starbucks even thought the app notifies me every time I go through the drive thru window that I didn't tip. A place like Cheesecake Factory with online ordering and curbside pickup, no way I'm tipping. They have a dedicated cheesecake carryout counter, why the fuck should I tip them?

This is my philosophy as well.

And for those people who are adamant the you should tip when you pick up carryout, where do you draw the line? Are you tipping at McDonalds? How about the person at the deli counter slicing you cold cuts or the cashier and bagger at the grocery store? I tip people whose wages are dictated by tips. And if they give me good service, I tip them well.

+1. Fuck those self righteous assholes who brag about tipping everyone that they come across while picking up their food.

"Hey, guy who was washing the windows as I walked in to pick up my food. Here is a 20.00 for you. Lady behind the counter who said hello and yelled to the back, "order for Juiced", here's another 20.00. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Juiced wrote:
DAC wrote:
A place where tipped servers have to stop what they are doing at the tables and pull your carry-out order together, I'll tip 10%. Not that I carry out from there, but that's what Waffle House adds as standard for all carry-out orders. I'll do that at a place like Katy's Dumplings in Westmont.

Carry out from a place with a mostly dedicated carryout process, no tip. If I go pick up a pizza, I'm not tipping. And obviously not a place like Starbucks even thought the app notifies me every time I go through the drive thru window that I didn't tip. A place like Cheesecake Factory with online ordering and curbside pickup, no way I'm tipping. They have a dedicated cheesecake carryout counter, why the fuck should I tip them?

This is my philosophy as well.

And for those people who are adamant the you should tip when you pick up carryout, where do you draw the line? Are you tipping at McDonalds? How about the person at the deli counter slicing you cold cuts or the cashier and bagger at the grocery store? I tip people whose wages are dictated by tips. And if they give me good service, I tip them well.

+1. Fuck those self righteous assholes who brag about tipping everyone that they come across while picking up their food.

"Hey, guy who was washing the windows as I walked in to pick up my food. Here is a 20.00 for you. Lady behind the counter who said hello and yelled to the back, "order for Juiced", here's another 20.00. :roll:

I know a guy that would give the doorman a hundred just for opening the door.. He shoved hundreds in the pockets of the dealers and who ran the games. The bartender got a hundred just for keeping the ice cubes cold.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Jaw Breaker wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

My fav isn't in Chinatown proper. 33rd and Halsted. Happiness. Best I have in the area. I have mostly moved on from "American" Chinese. Am more into Thai or Vietnamese

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
chaspoppcap wrote:
I have mostly moved on from "American" Chinese. Am more into Thai or Vietnamese

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Happiness is dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
I have mostly moved on from "American" Chinese. Am more into Thai or Vietnamese

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Happiness is dogshit.
When Weird Al does a Beatles album, this will be the most controversial song title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next