It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 am 

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I know an irish guy that drinks to excess and beats his wife. So if your Irish, sorry...but Cubbiegirlshamus was right to call you a wifebeater

I am white and can jump, but i am also part Irish and do not drink.

:cry: Stereotypes are so confusing.

Well Im 100% Irish, so Im gonna go outside and start a fight for no reason, before my morning whiskey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
this stereotype talk is all fun and games until somebody develops a complex and then this happens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I don't know why this thread was even started. Y'all know how this shit always ends up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
You had to stretch that a whole lot further than I have to stretch for the white racist stereotype.
It is still all subjective though. You see things and spread that over others who have never shown you those things. That's the same thing as my problem.

On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation. All of these are on a much grander scale of impact than the Irish being drunks, the Italian mobsters, the unintelligent Polish, the angry fat Germans, etc. It is also in our face much more on a daily basis. Black americans accusing of the race card, DWB, affirmative action, etc. Because of all of that, when I hear Greenberg mis-speak using a fairly common racist term, I am going to fall back on a very strong stereotype. As humans, we judge people. We judge based on stereotypes whether we like it or not, what we see and what we hear. I am hearing something that included in the stereotype makes part of a judgement that he may be in the "a lot or majority" of people who may be racist white americans. My judgement might be completely wrong, but I have to form it first, which is what I am saying there is nothing wrong with doing. What you are saying though is I should just ignore it as part of the judgement, that I should dismiss right off the bat that it is not part of the judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am 

Can we just fire Mike and Mike because they are bad?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Don Tiny wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think you should accuse or assume anything.

I mean, for chrissakes .... the hypocrisy (or at least the lack of self-awareness) could almost be sliced and served on toast.
There are enough dumbasses in the world - please don't augment the list artificially just for the sake of posting something.

I didn't accuse or assume anything. I saw and heard video and had an opinion on it. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge it's a possibility tells me you are naive and the dumbass.

As I said before I think there are different levels.

Do you know somebody that is friendly with anyone and everyone in a public setting but makes tilted statements when they are around close friends?

Seacrest, you are funny and sweet in your own little way.

Edit: DT you've been here for almost a year. If I have something to say, I say it, and I'm usually not that extreme.

Last edited by Spaulding on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 am 

Puckhead wrote:
What you are saying though is I should just ignore it as part of the judgement, that I should dismiss right off the bat that it is not part of the judgement.
No. What I am saying is that approaching it with a preconceived notion and then looking for a nearly unprovable amount of evidence is wrong. It is very difficult to prove a negative. It would be like if you wanted to prove that someone wasn't a murderer. How do you prove that you've never killed someone? You can give all the evidence in the world but it's almost an impossible thing to prove. This isn't a court of law but that's the very basis of innocent until proven guilty. You should instead look for evidence that someone is racist and when that becomes apparent you make your determination otherwise you will always view the world with whatever preconceived notion you have.

Let's say that I decided that I thought almost everyone on here was some sort of addict to either drugs or alcohol. It would be very hard to have anyone prove without a shadow of a doubt that they aren't one. I could hang out with a person for a week and they could never have a drop of alcohol and I still wouldn't know what they do when I'm not around. Alcoholism is a big problem in the United States too. However, if I characterize almost everyone as being an alcoholic and then I wait for definitive proof of the fact they aren't I'm going to have a hard time finding anyone that I can definitely say isn't one.

The problem is that if you decide something is true, and then decide that the only way you will be convinced is if you get definitive proof that it is false, you are likely never to reach the threshold of evidence needed because proving a negative is very difficult and in some cases impossible.

I guess the difference is that I like to give people the chance to prove their ignorance while you think it is more accurate to assume everyone is ignorant and look for the extremely high threshold of evidence it would take to prove otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Spaulding wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I don't think you should accuse or assume anything.

I mean, for chrissakes .... the hypocrisy (or at least the lack of self-awareness) could almost be sliced and served on toast.
There are enough dumbasses in the world - please don't augment the list artificially just for the sake of posting something.

I didn't accuse or assume anything. I saw and heard video and had an opinion on it. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge it's a possibility tells me you are naive and the dumbass.

As I said before I think there are different levels.

Do you know somebody that is friendly with anyone and everyone in a public setting but makes tilted statements when they are around close friends?

Seacrest, you are funny and sweet in your own little way.

Edit: DT you've been here for almost a year. If I have something to say, I say it, and I'm usually not that extreme.

Look, here's all I know based on this thread:

- At least one of us is a dumbass ... there might be enough circumstantial evidence to convict us both, though;

- We seek a common goal ... Bill Cowher

- Neither of us minces words

- Neither one of us speaks Chinese

- You have a willingness to kiss ugly things ... this is very good news for me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That's fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

and your both swell lookers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 am 

Spaulding wrote:
That's fine.

So it is going to end there? Booooo.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:29 am 

Puckhead wrote:
Christ, I cant tell you how many people in high school made comments about how it was great to have the one black guy so that our basketball team will be good.

I did find one positive thing that came out of this thread: I'm not racist!!! I can't be because at the last Hoops event, I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "Oh great, camps is on my team again. :roll: We lose.".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

and you're both swell lookers

Johnny and the Mothers are playing "Stompin' at the Savoy" in Vermont tonight.

RFDC wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
That's fine.

So it is going to end there? Booooo.

We're tired .... and I'm waiting for my kiss so I can cop a quick feel, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
A weatherman was fired for the EXACT same slip up. Also below is a video of the same offense.

Weatherman Fired For On-Air Slur Against Martin Luther King Jr.
Posted: 3:16 pm EST January 17, 2005

LAS VEGAS -- A television weatherman was fired after referring to slain civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. as "Martin Luther Coon King" on the air, station officials said.

Rob Blair, of KTNV-TV, was delivering the extended forecast Saturday morning when he said: "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Day, gonna see some temperatures in the mid-60s."

Jim Prather, vice president and general manager of the ABC affiliate, said Blair stumbled when he uttered the remark, but the excuse was not enough to save his job.

"This kind of incident is not acceptable under any circumstances, and I'm truly sorry that this event occurred," Prather said.

Blair, who worked at the station for about three months, apologized during the station's 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts Saturday.

According to a San Francisco newspaper, Blair said, "On a weather report earlier this morning, I made an accidental slip of the tongue when talking about the Martin Luther King holiday, and what I said was interpreted by many viewers as highly offensive. For that I offer my deepest apology. I in no way intended to offend anyone. I'm very sorry."

According to Blair's biography on KTNV's Web site, he started a radio career at the age of 14 in Indianapolis before moving moving to Orange County, Calif., to attend Chapman University. Blair has reportedly worked as a weather broadcaster in Palm Springs, Calif., Monterey and Chico, Calif.

http://www.foxreno.com/news/4089831/detail.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJXKW43pnM&NR=1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Puckhead wrote:
On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation.

So because there was segregation 40-50 years ago, I'm probably racist? Considering half the white population(roughly, estimation) was born after that ended. There's definitely still racism in this country, but I find it hard to believe that over 50% of white people in this country are racist. I live in the deep south right now, a place where alot of people up north find it fun to accuse of being racist. I have met some racist people, but definitely under 50% of the ones I have met are racist.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
FavreFan wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
On the scale though, the stereotype that most white americans are racist towards black americans is much closer to being a reality than any of the other stereotypes offered up. Why? Because we have history to back us up. We have MLK. We have segregation.

So because there was segregation 40-50 years ago, I'm probably racist? Considering half the white population(roughly, estimation) was born after that ended. There's definitely still racism in this country, but I find it hard to believe that over 50% of white people in this country are racist. I live in the deep south right now, a place where alot of people up north find it fun to accuse of being racist. I have met some racist people, but definitely under 50% of the ones I have met are racist.

about 47%?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
spanky wrote:
Puckhead wrote:
Christ, I cant tell you how many people in high school made comments about how it was great to have the one black guy so that our basketball team will be good.

I did find one positive thing that came out of this thread: I'm not racist!!! I can't be because at the last Hoops event, I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself "Oh great, camps is on my team again. :roll: We lose.".

HEY!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:38 pm 

Darkside wrote:
You guys ever hear of the town that had a plaque thanking James Earl Ray on MLK day?
Some town called lauderhill. crazy story. I think I would have freaked out if I would have seen that.

I think you've got the story a little off ...

The way I recall it, James Earl Jones was in town for some reason or another (street after him? speaking engagement?) and they had a plaque made for him, but he was announced as James Earl Ray. I do think it was MLK day, but not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Don Tiny wrote:
Darkside wrote:

The way I recall it, James Earl Jones was in town for some reason or another (street after him? speaking engagement?) and they had a plaque made for him, but he was announced as James Earl Ray. I do think it was MLK day, but not sure.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkplaque.asp I had the story right. You're correct that James Earl Jones was supposed to speak, but it was an MLK day event.
REPENT SINNER!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:59 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Darkside wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkplaque.asp I had the story right. You're correct that James Earl Jones was supposed to speak, but it was an MLK day event.
REPENT SINNER!

You'll get nothing and like it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Meet you at Arni's!
Maybe I'm naive....BUT, I just can't believe that this was intentional, or that this is the way that Mike Greenberg speaks or thinks. I tolerate Golic simply because he's a former Oiler, but I really like Mike Greenberg. I have watched and/or listened to his show at least an hour every day for the last 9 years...and almost all of it when I wasn't working. I've read his book. He has anxiety problems and low self-esteem. I find it very difficult to even consider that he could be racist. I really think he stumbled over the words "King" and "Junior".

I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT THIS!

But I don't think I am, and I refuse to judge him based on this ONE incident in his long broadcasting career.

I despise racism and racists, and I choose to not associate with people once they reveal themselves to be so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Houston Homer wrote:
Maybe I'm naive....BUT, I just can't believe that this was intentional, or that this is the way that Mike Greenberg speaks or thinks. I tolerate Golic simply because he's a former Oiler, but I really like Mike Greenberg. I have watched and/or listened to his show at least an hour every day for the last 9 years...and almost all of it when I wasn't working. I've read his book. He has anxiety problems and low self-esteem. I find it very difficult to even consider that he could be racist. I really think he stumbled over the words "King" and "Junior".

But I don't think I am, and I refuse to judge him based on this ONE incident in his long broadcasting career.

I despise racism and racists, and I choose to not associate with people once they reveal themselves to be so.

I think you are dead on here HH. I did not start this thread suggesting Greenberg meant this in any way. I just said it was unfortunate. I am a very cynical person, but this was a stumble on words, not a repressed/subliminal thought coming out.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm 

Drop In wrote:
Houston Homer wrote:

I think you are dead on here HH. I did not start this thread suggesting Greenberg meant this in any way. I just said it was unfortunate. I am a very cynical person, but this was a stumble on words, not a repressed/subliminal thought coming out.

Thanks Drop In....I did not think that was what you suggested in your OP. I was just responding to some of the follow up posts. :wink:

ETA: and, YES, it was most unfortunate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:32 pm 

I know you didn't. It was any posts suggesting the opposite I wanted to clear up.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I want both you to say Arnold The Terminator's last name.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm 

How dare you! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:17 pm 

spmack wrote:

Schwartz-ah-nayger?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm 

spmack wrote:

:lol: