It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
It's now the Marlins by a wide margin. Hahn elevates the Sox but I don't see the commitment by Reinsdorf to strengthen the organization by investing heavily in scouting and minor league development. This keeps the Sox from becoming a top tier franchise.

Damn shame.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Can I get an update on this question for this year?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
cpguy wrote:
It's now the Marlins by a wide margin. Hahn elevates the Sox but I don't see the commitment by Reinsdorf to strengthen the organization by investing heavily in scouting and minor league development. This keeps the Sox from becoming a top tier franchise.

Damn shame.

We all know it's the fans lack of attendance that's prevents this team from being a top tier franchise! The former GM has told you so. If he had the payroll some teams had, he would win a pennant every year...he has said.

$127 M in 2011 (5th overall)
$112 M in 2012 (11th overall)

Wasn't enough money, thus DEMOTED to Exec Vice President. Of course if you want to think being the Exec Vice president is a Promotion, feel free to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Has he been demoted from being like a son to Jerry? That's what counts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I think regular season is usually a better way of judging the teams

I don't think the playoffs are completely random or a crapshoot but its such a small sample there's a better chance weird things will happen than over 162 games. You can say that happens in other sports but i think the other sports playoffs do a better job of weeding out the lesser teams.

But I love the playoffs. And I don't share Bernstein belieffect that its title or complete failure so I don't have to square that belief

Maybe I've done a poor job explaining my position but I never meant the playoffs were just luck. Like I said its just a little more prone to that than 162

Its weird youre seemingly devaluing the importance of the regular season but that's the crux of your argument that the White Sox were a good franchise

I'm pretty sure the crux of his argument is that building a team to win regular season games isn't the same as building a team to win postseason games and that sabr people conveniently ignore that concept.

SABR people dont ingnore it, they just admit that trying to project such a small sample size is a lot harder than 162

Also, there doesnt seem to be as much correlation among winning playoff teams as there is winning regular season teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 am 

Revisiting this issue, clearly Miami is an absolute disgrace of an organization and Jeff Loria should be forced out of the sport, but outside of them, are the White Sox the 2nd shittiest organization in baseball?

1. The ML team is in free fall
2. The minor league system remains "challenged"
3. "Kenny" still has pull, see their 1st round pick this year
4. They seemingly have no plan in place

Is Hahn up to the challenge to unload ML talent and to begin to rebuild the farm system? Does the Sox scouting system have the talent evaluators both at the ML and the Minor League levels to get this done?

Has Jerry allowed Hahn to build a management/front office team that gives him a fair shot at getting things done on all levels?

Hard to say. He's a smart guy but it doesnt seem he has the authority to clean house and hire/promote "his guys". Maybe "Kenny" still has Jerry's ear and Hahn is merely a guy with a title??

If that is the case then they are really fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am 

cpguy wrote:
Revisiting this issue, clearly Miami is an absolute disgrace of an organization and Jeff Loria should be forced out of the sport, but outside of them, are the White Sox the 2nd shittiest organization in baseball?
No, it's a dumb question, unless you've never heard of the Mets, Astros, Twins, and many others. I'm not even convinced the Royals are a better organization even though this year they are likely to finish with a better record.

It's a bad year. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
cpguy wrote:
No, it's a dumb question, unless you've never heard of the Mets, Astros, Twins, and many others. I'm not even convinced the Royals are a better organization even though this year they are likely to finish with a better record.

It's a bad year. That's all.

The Mets have 2 young stud pitchers and the Astros are loaded with prospects. The Twins clearly have issues so they are in the conversation but their minor league system looks to be in much better shape than the Pale Hose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 am 

cpguy wrote:

What does this mean? What's wrong with Tim Anderson?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 am 

cpguy wrote:
The Mets have 2 young stud pitchers and the Astros are loaded with prospects. The Twins clearly have issues so they are in the conversation but their minor league system looks to be in much better shape than the Pale Hose.
The problem once again is that you are acting like organization strength should be judged by the perceived strength of the minor league system. The Mets are a mess. They are a joke. The Astros are barely functional. Let's wait until one of those two teams actually competes for something before we start thinking things will change.

It honestly seems like you came up with your conclusion, and then have simply decided your criteria to make the White Sox look as horrible as possible.

The White Sox have issues to correct without question but there are terminally bad organizations in MLB. In 2 or 3 years, if the White Sox are still looking futile it's a conversation worth having. Right now, you can't really think that the Astros are a better organization especially since the only advantage they have comes from being horrible for so long that they get high draft picks.

That's the funniest part about your criteria. The White Sox being horrible this year will mean that after next years draft that they are a "better organization" because they will certainly have a highly rated prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
cpguy wrote:

The "draft an athlete" mindset seemingly is still in place...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
cpguy wrote:
The problem once again is that you are acting like organization strength should be judged by the perceived strength of the minor league system. The Mets are a mess. They are a joke. The Astros are barely functional. Let's wait until one of those two teams actually competes for something before we start thinking things will change.

It honestly seems like you came up with your conclusion, and then have simply decided your criteria to make the White Sox look as horrible as possible.

The White Sox have issues to correct without question but there are terminally bad organizations in MLB. In 2 or 3 years, if the White Sox are still looking futile it's a conversation worth having. Right now, you can't really think that the Astros are a better organization especially since the only advantage they have comes from being horrible for so long that they get high draft picks.
That's the funniest part about your criteria. The White Sox being horrible this year will mean that after next years draft that they are a "better organization" because they will certainly have a highly rated prospect.

I readily admit I am not an expert on the Mets or Astros but they've actually not been the total joke I thought they'd be whereas the Sox are in dire straights IMO.

Where is the leadership? What is the plan? Has the organization invested in getting top tier scouting and front office talent? It just seems to me they are an organization going nowhere fast, unless going down in a free fall manner counts...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am 

cpguy wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
cpguy wrote:

The "draft an athlete" mindset seemingly is still in place...

This shit kills me. Did you ever look at his numbers in junior college?

In 53 games he hit .495/.563/.864 with 10 home runs 18 doubles 11 triples 62 runs scored 45 RBI and 41 stolen bases.

The stat hawk wannabes should be going ape shit over this guy but I guess because he's black he's just an athlete and a "Kenny guy". Unbelieveable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The so-called Shittiest Org in Baseball still has a pretty good pitching staff. And that is with losing their #3 for the year, and their #2 for over a month. A couple of moves here and there and the Sox are at least in the disscussion for a WC (possibly the division) next year.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:02 am 

cpguy wrote:
I readily admit I am not an expert on the Mets or Astros but they've actually not been the total joke I thought they'd be whereas the Sox are in dire straights IMO.
The Mets and Astros are both jokes of an organization right now. That shouldn't even be a question. Yes, they have some hope for the future, but so does every bad team including the White Sox.

cpguy wrote:
Where is the leadership? What is the plan? Has the organization invested in getting top tier scouting and front office talent? It just seems to me they are an organization going nowhere fast, unless going down in a free fall manner counts...
The plan is just like any other team. Draft well, develop players, and make good signings.

It's been a failure this year. However, having a bad year doesn't make you the second worst organization in baseball. Let's use the Royals as an example. They haven't mattered in over a decade. They still don't matter. Even with all those high draft picks, and chances to make trades to build for the future, they are finding it difficult to be as good as the White Sox were last year. If history is any indication, the Sox will once again pass the Royals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 am 

It's a legitimate question. Who is running the show? Hahn? Kenny? Does Hahn have the autonomy to perform the major surgery necessary on the South Side? I've heard no news about top scouts being hired, about new front office staff being put in place, etc.

Seems more of the same to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The so-called Shittiest Org in Baseball still has a pretty good pitching staff. And that is with losing their #3 for the year, and their #2 for over a month. A couple of moves here and there and the Sox are at least in the disscussion for a WC (possibly the division) next year.

:shock: :shock:
Sale is elite if he can stay healthy (a big if), Quintana looks to be a keeper, Danks threw batting practice last night but MAY come back stronger next year, Peavy is on his way out of town and Santiago can't find home plate consistently.

Reed has a chance to stay good and Jones may find some consistency but the rest of the bullpen is mix and match. Bullpens are always in flux however so that is a mute point but overall, the Sox pitching staff is a notch or two under "pretty good" IMO.

As to the rest of the roster, who is a keeper? Phegley? Beckham? Ramirez?

Not good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Still no.

But closer to it now than it was in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

cpguy wrote:
Sale is elite if he can stay healthy (a big if)
The next day Chris Sale spends on the DL will be his first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:36 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
cpguy wrote:
Sale is elite if he can stay healthy (a big if)
The next day Chris Sale spends on the DL will be his first.

Hopefully he stays healthy, but is he a guy that can pitch you into October and have gas left in the tank for October? In other words, a 240+ innings guy including post season??

Maybe, but his track record says no.

I don't hate on the Sox, but I just don't see much of a plan here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I wouldn't worry about Chris Sale having to pitch in October for a while.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:01 am 

I think the Sox have one of the longest leashes for mistakes in the game. They basically dot have a stadium expense, they dont have upkeep issues or management costs. The biggest staiudm issue they have is how to spend the extra $4.5 mill they get from the state each year.

That cushion when it comes to overall expenses and the ability to spend on your players is a huge head start.

If not for that, the Sox are the Royals, Pirates (of past), Indians, etc. That team that gets a decent crop once in every 10-15 years, and the rest of the time they play below .500.

They dont spend on the minor league system, thus not a great farm system.

The philosophy is signing guys trying to get the last drop of blood, a good deal from an injured player, etc. While all teams do it to a degree, it is the Sox focus for years. Shopping in the clearance section.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am 
100000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
That team that gets a decent crop once in every 10-15 years, and the rest of the time they play below .500
The Sox have issues, but this is flat out wrong. And pretty stupid.

Over the last 15 years, the Sox have finished under .500 6 times (including this year, and in 1998 and 1999. So since 2000, they will have finished under .500 a mere 4 times. Outside of the Yankees or Red Sox, you would have hard pressed to find a team that has finished under .500 fewer times. Also since 2000, the Sox have finished in 1st or 2nd place in their division 8 times.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 am 

Must be tough jumping from thread to thread defending all that is White Sox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:19 am 
100000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Must be tough jumping from thread to thread defending all that is White Sox
:lol: :lol: Says the guy who has posted 20 times in the Sox section over the last hour. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 am 

bigfan wrote:
I think the Sox have one of the longest leashes for mistakes in the game. They basically dot have a stadium expense, they dont have upkeep issues or management costs. The biggest staiudm issue they have is how to spend the extra $4.5 mill they get from the state each year.

That cushion when it comes to overall expenses and the ability to spend on your players is a huge head start.

If not for that, the Sox are the Royals
The Royals seem to get an even better deal.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20111026/NEWS02/111029790/reinsdorfs-sweet-deal-at-u-s-cellular-field-gets-even-sweeter
Quote:
Including rent, that means he paid about $2 million to the sports facilities authority last year for the 80 or so games played at the Cell — far less than some other MLB teams in similar relationships with municipalities.
Philadelphia, for example, pays $18.5 million a year, which includes $2.5 million in base rent and $17.9 million in interest payments on the bonds issued to fund the stadium's construction.
Minnesota pays $12.5 million: $600,000 in base rent, plus $300,000 for inflation adjustments and $11.5 million for debt service.
On the lower end, Kansas City pays $450,000 in base rent. The team also must pay 5% of gross receipts above annual revenue of $7.5 million.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

Are they the worst organization in the City?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Are they the worst organization in the City?
No, that's the LAKE VIEW CITIZENS COUNCIL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

Undefeated against Verlander so far this year.

REFILL THE CANTEEN IN 2014!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Thin crust cheese extra cheese ....Pizza DOC
Baseball America has been releasing the Top 20 prospects by League.

Here are the White Sox players and where the rank by league.

Pioneer League (Great Falls)
12. Adam Engel, of

Appalachian League (Bristol)
10. Tyler Danish, rhp

South Atlantic League (Kannapolis)
NONE

Carolina League (Winston-Salem)
15. Courtney Hawkins

Southern League (Birmingham)
11. Erik Johnson, rhp
14. Marcus Semien, ss/2b

International League (Charlotte)
7. Avisail Garcia, of
11. Erik Johnson, rhp
18. Carlos Sanchez, 2b/ss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next